New Zealand Company Will 3D Print Your Brain

yorkere

So far, for me, this one takes the cake...

URL: http://3dprint.com/20437/brainform-3d-prints-brains/

Hold Your Brain in Your Hands: New Zealand Company Will 3D Print Your Brain

Just in time for Halloween (or for those of us who just have brains on our minds), New Zealand-based Brainform is up and running! While the company and its website are still in beta, a high quality 3D printed brain can be yours now.
The company’s mission is simply stated on its website:

We 3D print brains.

Brainform takes MRI scan files to custom-create accurate (albeit hollow, which hopefully isn’t too accurate) models of both hemispheres of the brain, though without the cerebellum or sub-cortical structures. The brains are available in full-scale and half-scale models with your choice of a white or matte grey stand, and can be displayed as a whole brain or as one hemisphere at a time.

Want a scan and don’t have one yet? Don’t worry, the company’s FAQ covers that. You can check out the website’s Research Hub to be connected to researchers seeking participants for studies that include an MRI. The Hub will eventually have research study information for the US, New Zealand, Australia, and the UK. Barring that approach, Brainform also suggests — in a cheeky tone in keeping with the rest of the site’s content — that going into the ER with serious injuries and headache complaints should get you your very own MRI pretty quickly.

For those among the millions who already have had MRIs done as a matter of course, a simple call to your own doctor should be able to get the DICOM file sent over from existing medical records.

Don’t have a scan of your brain handy and not really in the market to get one done? No problem; you can still get a brain to put on your desk, it just won’t be your personal wrinkle pattern. Stock brains are available, all made from MRI scans of actual people.

Once Brainform has the scan — either yours or the stock MRI — the real fun begins. Using the selective laser sintering (SLS) process, Brainform 3D prints the brain to precisely match the scan.

3D printed brains are a technological wonder, for sure; as a rule, if you’re seeing your own brain, it’s probably not about to end well for you. MRI technology allows for a complete mapping of the intricacies of this incredible human organ, but Brainform takes that even further by bringing the flat scan to life: for the first time, you can actually hold your own brain in your hands. Additive manufacturing allows for fully faithful replication of every brainy nook and cranny; the company also includes an info sheet with specific technical aspects of your brain that you might not otherwise know.

Comment:
Well, whaddya say, sport...? Wanna give it a try? In my own immediate instance, I know that my scan would reveal that my brain is only the size of a large marble, with the exact surface of a marble, meaning no discernible convolutions at all...so I don't want to do this...

Robert

Last edited:

ryanlee

A high thumbs-up for New Zealand! This is a big help for neurology! However, American Express has consented to refund $85 million to customers and pay $27.5 million in fines to the CFPB and many other government organizations.