New study tests stem cells as a treatment for degenerative disc disease

yorkere

From: <http://www.mdlinx.com/orthopedics/medical-news-article/2016/02/15/6536971/?news_id=657&newsdt=021516&subspec_id=266&utm_source=DailyNL&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_content=General-Article&utm_campaign=article-section&category=latest&page_id=1>

UC Davis Health System, 02/15/2016

As part of a new multicenter clinical trial, UC Davis Health System researchers will test whether a novel stem cell treatment can reduce the pain and mobility issues caused by degenerative disc disease. UC Davis is one of 25 sites nationwide — and the only academic health–care system in California — involved in the study. Those with degenerative disc disease can experience serious, chronic and disabling low–back pain. “Patients with this level of degeneration often try multiple treatments for relief, including pain medication, massage, physical therapy, chiropractic adjustments and acupuncture,” said study principal investigator Kee Kim, professor of neurological surgery and co–director of the UC Davis Spine Center. “For some of them, nothing seems to help, and we end up operating to remove the degenerated disc and fuse the spine to eliminate motion that may cause increased pain. We want to know if a single dose of this investigational therapy can offer relief without the need for surgery.” Kim and co–principal investigator David Copenhaver, assistant professor of pain medicine, will recruit patients with lower back degenerative disc disease for the study. Participants will receive a single injection to the site of their pain with one of three treatments: mesenchymal precursor cells (MPCs), MPCs combined with a carrier material (hyaluronic acid) or a placebo. The goal of the trial is to assess the safety and efficacy of the therapy. Research has shown that MPCs can target damaged tissue and induce healing by organizing cells to form new tissue. The MPCs used in this study are isolated from the bone marrow of healthy donors, and then expanded and amplified to generate readily available therapeutic doses for use in patients without the need for tissue matching.

Further information: <http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/publish/news/newsroom/10762/?WT.rss_f=UC>

My question: WHY only ONE application of the cells? Hasn't experience so far taught, that repeated application is usually needed...?

Robert

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
It does say they are expanded - "The MPCs used in this study are isolated from the bone marrow of healthy donors, and then expanded and amplified to generate readily available therapeutic doses for use in patients without the need for tissue matching". This could possibly make a difference. I would hate to get the placebo if they are not going to allow all participant to get the real deal at some point. There aren't enough details in this article. I wasn't able to access the abstract. I think my computer is telling me it wants me to go to bed.

peg

New study for degenerate disc disease

Hello,
My name is Peg. I would like to share with you & others regarding my treatment with adipose stem cell paste injection. I've lived with chronic neuropathic pelvic pain for the past 20years. I developed pudendal neuropathy after a vaginal hysterectomy due to a vaginal cuff abscess. I've tried everything from surgery, medications, nerve blocks, neurostimulators, cryosurgery, radio frequency, injections, and intrathecal pump. The only thing that relieved my pain is stem cell therapy. I recently received a stem cell paste injection into my damaged pudendal nerve area. The stem cells will stay at that site for 2years. The stem cells will expand to 4cm at the injection site. The stem cells will be healing and combating inflammation/ pain during that time period of 2years. The stem cell paste injection contains a very high concentration of stem cells. The stem cell paste contains no additives, chemicals, enzymes, or other substances. Dr.Todd Malan of Scottsdale AZ harvested 70million stem cells from my abdominal adipose tissue through a mini lipo-suction. Then the stem cells are separated & counted by computerized equipment. It has been 13days since the stem cell paste injection into my damaged pudendal nerve area. I only feel pressure, tingling, and mild pelvic spasms. Which Dr. Malan told me that this is normal after a injection. I haven't felt burning pelvic pain since the injection. Dr. Malan told me that this stem cell paste injection can also be injected into any disc or joint. Even if there is herniation, complete ruptured, or degeneration of the disc. Even if there is no cartilage in the joint. The stem cells will be healing any disc problems. The stem cells will grow new cartilage for that joint. If you would like more information about the stem cell paste injection, please send me a message. Also you can read of a news article on a Brentwood woman who walks again after receiving stem cell therapy by Dr.Todd Malan of Scottsdale AZ.
http://www.wsmv.com/story/337884245/brentwood-woman- able-to-walk-again-thanks-to-stem-cell-treatment.