New member, starting to research

Tim

Hi all, my name is Tim. My wife and I live in Austin, Texas. She was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS) in 2000 just before we got married. Since then she has had multiple flare ups, which generally have attacked her vision. With each attack her vision gets worse, it is like someone is slowly turning down a dimmer switch in her eyes. I have just begun researching stem cell treatment. I have been reading research articles and people blogs from personsal treatment experiences. It all seems very exciting. I know it is still a new technology, so I am trying to keep my expectations in check.

Right now I am trying to focus on the different types of treatments (type of stem cells used, how they are processed, how they are put back into the patient) and the treatment facilities. I have never gone abroad for a medical treatment before, so I am still a bit nervous about it all. I have read the ICMS report and am trying to take it all in. One thing it recommended was to look for a treatment facility that has some specific focus versus trys to cure everything. So if anyone knows of a facility that has a heavy focus on MS, that would be great to know.

I did have a person online recommend a StemCellsForHope (http://www.stemcellsforhope.com/) as a place they had used. If anyone has any information or history with them, I would appreciate it. I have looked at their website and I am trying to understand exactly what they are. They appear to be more of a middle man to coordinate your treatment with a treatment facility they have partnered with. Kind of like Orbitz or Travelocity for a vacation. Being new to this, I am not sure if this is normal or if people engage the treatment facilities directly.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Hi Tim. Welcome to the forum. I have looked at the Stem Cells for Hope site before and find it very confusing. It would be a lot more helpful if they just listed the doctors they are referring to and where they are located. There are several "brokers" about so be aware of that. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is something to be aware of because it limits where they will recommend you get treatment. I will send you a resource guide in a private message. I would suggest you contact those on the list directly and ask them all the same questions. Also, click on Blogs for Gator868. He has MS and got stem cell therapy not too long ago. He is also following a diet that sounds very healthy.
Please let us know what you find out after making your inquiries. It is nice to hear how patients are treated.

Tim

Thanks Barbara. Gator871 is actually the person who referred me to StemCellsForHope and to this website for information. I ran across his information on another forum and made my way here. I am hoping there may be additional members here with MS/past treatment and maybe history with StemCellsForHope. I always like multiple points of view if possible. :)

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Sorry Gator - I gave you number 868 which is Carmen!

Tim - There are other MS members, but many do not post regularly. My statement on the confusion of the New Hope site still stands even if I got the member numbers mixed up. I think the site needs to be revamped as it is difficult to figure out. At least it was for me. If they are brokers, they should state that.

If you choose to research the sites I sent you, you might ask if it would be possible to speak to any of the patients that have been treated for MS. We also had an entire Ask the Doctor forum on MS. Did you read it?

http://www.stemcellpioneers.com/showthread.php?t=2188

Tim

Thanks Barbara. I completely agree that their site should be more specific. I also appreciate the heads up on the MS focused Ask the Doctor thread. I had not read it, but after you mentioned it I looked at the MS forums and found a post about Dr Paz, then went to the Dr threads and found Dr Paz's session.

Just a recommendation, but you might put the specific discussion subject in the title along with the Dr name for the Dr posts. It would help. I probably would have not looked for or made the connection if you hadn't mentioned it.

Are there any members you know of that have been treated by Dr Paz or have gone to the Stem Cell Institute in Panama?

-Tim

dlbelbin

info and blog site with folks that have gone to the clinic in Costa Rica.
http://adultstemcelltherapy.ning.com/

We know two that have recommended them. In short, 30k-30 days with aggressive therapy and diet. Other hear say says they are very good with MS patients.

I spoke to the partner owner of stem cell for hope when we first started our research. In conversation he suggested fetal cells for my son at there Russian clinic 45k. He also told me that they had cured a TBI patient 100% at there Mexico clinic(for my wife 30k). I continued to agree with all he had to say. They never folllowed up with me nor answered my emails. I called during Thanksgiving when he had his staff out on vacations thus talked with him. His personal background looked good and caring with no complaints.
Although a well documented series of a gal with MS in New Jersey, I would still be cautioned.

Barbara, I do not think I have ever told you my experience with stem cell for hope. Came close at first, then quickly turned away.
David

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
David - you hadn't ever told me your experience. I was not able to get a response from them when I inquired several months ago, so I do appreciate hearing your comments. Gator seems to be satisfied with his treatment so far. He is also complementing his stem cell treatment with a strict vegan diet. He has lost 55 pounds according to his blog which he evidently felt he needed to do. This probably makes him feel better as well.
ICM has had some success as you mention. As always, everyone must remember that what works for one person may not work for another. There may be different degrees of improvement among patients. I believe that someday therapies will be perfected enough that it won't be such a crap shoot, but we aren't there yet. We really are Pioneers.

Tim

Thanks for the information. I am still going through all the information about Costa Rica on the other site. I have done some more digging on the Stem Cells for Hope site. I was doing searches on Dr Andrade, who I have seen mentioned multiple times by people and shows as part of the advisory board for Stem Cells for Hope. I guess he is a main Dr? I also found him on the advisory board of a similar company called Stem Cells Restore Life. Not really sure how all that works. I did some other searching on him and found him as the primary Dr at Institute of Chronic Disease, but the listed web site no longer is valid http://www.bajaonline.com/dr-andrade/programs.htm The information showed him located in San Ysidro, CA and the clinic across the border in Tijuana, Mexico.

I emailed Walter Kravchenko (Chairman & CEO) of Stem Cells for Hope, Inc with some questions.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I don't see the clinic listed on the ICMS Off Shore Guide. I will ask the administrator for ICMS if they have had any contact with Dr. Andrade or anyone at Stem Cells for Hope.