Muscle wasting

carmen868

Cachexia

I never knew this but now that I read about it I'm afraid - who develops this condition, because I know COPD patients who are in their 80s and 90s who have not developed this disease of muscle wasting. Are there any specific things that trigger it, aside from lack of exercise?

danny

Not sure, I am worried about Lung Wasting. What helps me a lot honestly is just stretching and jumping on a mini trampoline.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Carmen - I would not worry unduly about this. It would be nice to hear from any COPD members that have any experience with this.

zar

carmen868,
Sorry, I did not mean to scare you.
The reason I was asking about ThGR,is if the trials are finished, can we buy it.

Diet, as a modifiable risk factor, appears more as an option to prevent and modify the course of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Reduction of mechanical disadvantage, physical training and anabolic agents should be used conjointly with oral nutrition supplements to overcome undernutrition and might change the prognosis of the disease in some cases. Major research challenges address the role of systemic inflammation and the best interventions for controlling it besides smoking cessation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18542004?ordinalpos=8&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

zar

Total and free testosterone concentrations decline progressively with advancing age because of defects at all levels of the hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis. Low total and bioavailable testosterone levels have been associated with decreased skeletal muscle mass, muscle strength, physical function, bone mineral density, and fracture risk, although these associations are weak. The risks and health benefits of long-term testosterone remain poorly understood. Physiologic testosterone replacement of young, androgen-deficient men and older men with low testosterone levels is associated with an increase in fat-free mass, grip strength, and fractional muscle protein synthesis, but we do not know whether testosterone replacement improves quadriceps strength, power, muscle fatigability, and physical function in older men, and whether it can reduce the risk of disability and falls. Testosterone replacement increases vertebral bone mineral density in young hypogonadal men and older men with low testosterone levels, but we do not know whether testosterone reduces fracture risk. Concerns about the potential adverse effects of testosterone on the prostate have encouraged the development of selective androgen receptor modulators that increase muscle mass while sparing the prostate

Bev12452

I had treatment backin Oct of 2007 I think and since then I have lost 25 pds which I really couldn't Afford to lose I am now down to 102 and look like skin hanging on bones my nutritonists calls it wasting disease and equates it with people on chemo I don't know if it the same type that you all are talking about but I can not get the weight back on and I drag through the day I have just gone back into pulmo rehab to see itf it helps I do drink pulmocare which is made especially for pulmonary patients but it hasn't helped that much even my legs start to shake if I havve to keep them on the brake pedel for too long a period of time I have stayed away from th the dreaded prednesone because that would make the condition worse hopefully in the near future this will all be just a bad nightmare

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Depending on the type of emphysema you have (COPD is merely a "catch all" term" for lung diseases), your symptoms will vary. Here's an ov:erview of the different types

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/298283-overview

FYI - I have gained over 20 pounds since my stem cell treatment. I believe it is from taking supplements and overeating and not exercising as much as I should. However, I have known others who have COPD who have problems with gaining weight.

This year has been a bad health year for me so far. I need to stay away from my nieces and nephews who give me flus and colds.

I'm on the mend now though.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Interestingly enough, there are some Stem Cell Advance treatment protocol participants who are now in the 5 capsule per day range that are gaining much needed weight. It is not adding pounds to other participants that don't need to gain weight, just those that do. It has taken quite a few months to see this result, but apparently it does have that effect in higher doses taken over a period of many months.

zar

Because many people suffer from muscle wasting not only us copders.
I am still hoping that thGR is the answer or something like it.
They are going to use it for HIV.
http://www.theratech.com/en/news-events/news.php?id=348&year=2009
So untill I get the answer about thGR trials?.
And as I live on the other side of the pond and its to far to swim to Canada,lol, I will have to wait.
I posted this sometime ago.Remember never give up.
Regeneration capacity
The Berkeley team compared muscle regeneration capacity of two-year-old mice - comparable in age to a human aged 75-85 - to that in two-month old mice, comparable to a human aged 20-25.

As expected, they found the muscle tissue in the young mice easily replaced damaged cells with healthy new cells, while areas of damaged muscle in the older animals was full of scar tissue.

But when they effectively disabled the "ageing pathway" by blocking production of a key protein called TGF-beta, the level of cellular regeneration in the older animals was comparable the much younger mice.

However, the researchers warned that closing down the ageing pathway completely could run a risk of many health problems, for instance the ability to suppress cell division is key to controlling the development of cancer.

Lead researcher Dr Irina Conboy said the key was to find the right balance between the biochemical pathway which promoted healing, and that which promoted ageing.

"We need to find out what the levels of these chemicals are in the young so we can calibrate the system when we're older.

"If we can do that, we could rejuvenate tissue repair for a very long time."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7463466.stm

zar

Cystic fibrosis
Adult patients suffering from cyctic fibrosis, a degenerative lung disease, often show signs of severe muscle loss, a condition brought on by chronic disease. Muscle depletion severely limits day-to-day activities of these patients, thereby affecting their quality of life. In the absence of treatment, it constitutes an independent mortality risk. There is currently no approved treatment for this condition.

The product
Tesamorelin (TH9507) is a stabilized analogue of the growth hormone-releasing factor (GRF) that induces growth hormone (GH) production in a specific and physiological manner. This product offers strong development potential in a variety of indications, as demonstrated by clinical studies which have shown its many benefits: increases muscle mass, reduces abdominal fat and improves the lipid profile without compromising glycemic control.

http://www.theratech.com/en/products-therapeutic-peptides/cystic-fibrosis.php