more questions

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Better never than late I say

Rose - You can sure have mine. I got mine 90 days after treatment as if I was going to go back and jot stuff down in it. Just use a spiral notebook for now because you will be amazed how quickly you forget. I am still doing a daily journal entry so that I can help others later on.

rosech44

Journal

I Started Writing My Story, Some Time Ago, I Guess I Could Just Send That Too Them----when The Time Comes--

Rose

Bev12452

Go get em Rose

I didn't receive the book either but I did get the camera back I want all the future travelers to know that the customer service in no way has anything to do with your medical service Ana says she is so busy well maybe they need to get her some help or she needs to let some of the duties go to others like Kelly or Cathy anyway Rose if you get through let me know but please do not let anything that may be said on this site about Ana scare anyone from getting the treatment I would do it all over again Bev in Fl

Connie Golden

Flu Shot Conflict

First, the "ask the doctor" is a terrific addition and answers many of my questions except the flu shot issue.

I have just sent an email to Ana regarding the flu shots since we are apparently getting different opinions since Dr. J.P. says it would probably be best to wait (for those of us with recent cell treatments), however, we called Kathy or Kelly while we were in San Diego, who said Dr F said to go ahead and get the flu shots after the stem cell treatments.

I would wait the three months but my children have different ideas. They don't think I should take the risk by waiting. Maybe Ana will get some clarificiation from Dr. F.

If anyone has any updates on this, please let me know.
Thanks, Connie

Pat Chronister

Pioneer Member
Flu Shot

I have no medical answer, but I'm scheduled for stem cells on December 6. and decided to go ahead and got the shot last Monday. Dr. P. recommended 3 mos before the treatment - I split the difference with 1 1/2 mos before!
Pat C.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Flu Shots

Hi Connie,

I also e-mailed Dr. Feinerman to see if his reply would be in agreement with Dr. Peimer. I think there is some concern and I am really thinking I am going to pass on getting one this year. I have gotten pretty sick the last two years I had one. I will let you know if I receive a reply and you do the same.

rosech44

Flu Shots

When I Was Getting Everything Set Up For This, Dr. R Told Me To Get Flu Shot And Pnemonia Shot Before The Procedure--Since I Was Leaving Home Before Oct 1st I Didn't Know If I Could Get The Shots. They Weren't Released In Oregon Til Oct. Ist. However One Of Our Best Friends Is A Surgeon, So, I Told Him My Problem, And The Next Day He Showed Up At The House With My Flu Shot--I Then Got The Pnemonia Shot From My Dr. So I Had My Shots Before The Treatment, A Week Or So Before---

It Would Be Nice If They Could Get All The Stories, And Instructions Straight. It Is Very Confusing. I Guess My One Complaint Is That They Need To Get Their Act Together, And Get Rid Of The Confusion.

Rose

hlichten

Super Moderator
I noticed that this doctor said that the pneumonia and/or flu shots "probably" wouldn't cause any conflict with the stem cells, but to wait 3 months to be "safe" because the stem cell treatment is so expensive. The 3 month waiting time is obviously just a guess on his part.

Harv

I have no medical answer, but I'm scheduled for stem cells on December 6. and decided to go ahead and got the shot last Monday. Dr. P. recommended 3 mos before the treatment - I split the difference with 1 1/2 mos before!
Pat C.

hlichten

Super Moderator
Well, the doctor who told you to get a flu shot works for the company that you bought a treatment from. The doctor who now says "to be safe" to do it 3 months before treatment works for a different company, so they have no reason to get "their stories and instructions straight". They are unrelated to each other, and they happen to have different opinions. Also, as I said in the previous post, when and if to get a flu/pneumonia shot is just a guess on the part of any doctor. They have no way of knowing if the shots would adversely effect the stem cell treatments.

I personally wouldn't worry about it one way or the other. I had a flu shot about 3 weeks ago, and am having treatment in about 10 days.

Harv

... It Would Be Nice If They Could Get All The Stories, And Instructions Straight. It Is Very Confusing. I Guess My One Complaint Is That They Need To Get Their Act Together, And Get Rid Of The Confusion.

Rose

Last edited:

Regine

Ward is supposed to get a flu shot next week as they weren't available before he went for SC treatment. Now I'm wondering if he should do it or wait. Was it the doctor from SCB that recommended waiting 3 months? Ward is doing good. No signifigant changes. He had a spyrometer test today at the hospital and will do it again in 6 months and maybe a year as his pulmonary Dr. says that it's the best way to measure if stem cells are working.

hlichten

Super Moderator
No, it was this months "Ask the Doctor" (Dr. Peimer).

Maybe if Barb or another Admin emails him they could ask him if this is simply based on his stated logic (that the cells are expensive, so why risk it) or on any medical findings?

Perhaps just send him a link to this thread or tell him that there has been "heightened discussion" about this on the forum.;)

I did full Google and other searches and found nothing published about it.

My guess is that nobody and/or no doctor can tell you anything factual about stem cell infusions and flu shots. There would not be any valid data on it at this time. Several doctors told me it would not affect treatment.

Harv

Ward is supposed to get a flu shot next week as they weren't available before he went for SC treatment. Now I'm wondering if he should do it or wait. Was it the doctor from SCB that recommended waiting 3 months? Ward is doing good. No signifigant changes. He had a spyrometer test today at the hospital and will do it again in 6 months and maybe a year as his pulmonary Dr. says that it's the best way to measure if stem cells are working.

Last edited:

danny

Flu Shot

Everytime I get a flu shot I end up getting the flu.. I havent had shot in 3 years and never got the flu last 3 years.. strange/..

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
My own doctor's advice to me

This is the reply I got from my own stem cell doctor. I am over 6 months post treatment, however. I shall try to get clarification from him when he returns. Also, Dr. Peimer may see this post and clarify when he feels it is safe. I have gotten sick too Danny and I really don't want to go through that again. One year I was very ill. Last year, it seems to me I got through it okay.

DEAR BARBARA:
I WOULD RECOMMEND TAKING THE FLU VACCINE. I AM CURRENTLY AWAY RECOVERING FROM EYE SURGERY. I SHALL BACK ON OCTOBER 26 AND CAN ANSWER ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS AT THAT TIME.

rosech44

Flu Shots

I have never gotton the flu from a flu shot--However, Norm did yrs ago.

but, has had a shot every year since, and hasn't got the flu---the last 3 yrs, I had the LCT treatments, and have not had the flu, a cold or anything else. I have been exposed to all sorts of reperatory illnesses, and caught none of them. I've convinced myself, that it was the LCT that protected me---Hope the stem cells do too-, cause since I've come home, youngest son, and his wife have moved in, She :(has a terrible cold, and always seems to have one.---
personally, I believe in both the flu shots, and the pneumonia shots.

Rose

hlichten

Super Moderator
Well....
He had a flu shot, and then he got the flu.
I don't believe that he got the flu from the shot.
Getting a flu shot does not guarantee that you won't get the flu.

Harv

I have never gotton the flu from a flu shot--However, Norm did yrs ago.