Missing Link?

MarkNH

Ok, using molecular biology from scientific studies we now know that ALS specifically affects the following either up and downstream in the human brain....
motor neurons, glial cells, agreggates, misfolded proteins, astrocytes, mitochondria, heat shock proteins, sod1, etc.

Ok, using molecular biology from scientific studies we now know that toxicosis from poisons such as heavy metals, pesticides, herbicides, solvents, etc. specifically affects the following either up and downstream in the human brain....
glial cells, agreggates, misfolded proteins, astrocytes, mitochondria, heat shock proteins, sod1, etc.

Can someone please explain how my reasoning is flawed by assuming that two "diseases" with the same physiological effects can even possibly be one and the same animal to a smaller or larger degree and why this has not been looked at more closely?
Mark

hlichten

Super Moderator
Ok, using molecular biology from scientific studies we now know that ALS specifically affects the following either up and downstream in the human brain....
motor neurons, glial cells, agreggates, misfolded proteins, astrocytes, mitochondria, heat shock proteins, sod1, etc.

Ok, using molecular biology from scientific studies we now know that toxicosis from poisons such as heavy metals, pesticides, herbicides, solvents, etc. specifically affects the following either up and downstream in the human brain....
glial cells, agreggates, misfolded proteins, astrocytes, mitochondria, heat shock proteins, sod1, etc.

Can someone please explain how my reasoning is flawed by assuming that two "diseases" with the same physiological effects can even possibly be one and the same animal to a smaller or larger degree and why this has not been looked at more closely?
Mark
Although some of us are quite informed here on this forum, we are not scientists. We do submit questions once a month to physicians who give stem cell treatments, although they may or may not know the answer to this type of question. Let us know if you would like this question to be submitted to a doctor.

hlichten

Super Moderator
Sure, submit away!
I will alert Barbara (forum founder) that you wish this to be submitted as a future "Ask the Doctor" question. As this would appear to be a highly technical question, she will likely wait until questions are being submitted to someone with thorough and specific ALS (Lou Gehrig's) knowledge. Most of what we submit are general questions relating to stem cell therapy. If we can email someone and get a reply, we will PM you with any answer.

From a layman's standpoint, I can't see the difficulty in understanding how a disease and toxicosis could affect the same elements and factors in the brain. It seems that you are trying to say that it must be more than coincidence that these are affected, but then, we have no idea if they are affected in the same manner, from what I can tell. Is this correct?

MarkNH

From what I can tell the "same manner" affectation is exactly what is occuring. My point is this, on the one hand we have a known problem, toxicosis, with known effects. On the other hand we have an unknown "illness" with strikingly similar effects with environmental toxins being implicated as an instigator. Of particular note is that no serious is even trying to examine the connection. Also of note is that we can stop the illness by removing the toxin but stem cells will be needed for hundreds of thousands of patients to repair the damage.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Mark's suppositions are very well thought out -

Mark - You pose some interesting thoughts. I have asked 4 doctors to give me the current state of their treatments and research for ALS and I do hope to have those to post in the near future. I think ALS is something that can really benefit from stem cell therapy and I know that the doctors are working very hard to perfect their treatments for it and other diseases.