Mesenchymal Stem Cell question.

Tommywills

Hello, I'm not quite sure if this is the right section to post my question so please forgive me if it isn't.

My question is about mesenchymal stem cells taken from fat tissue and injected in a scar for healing. I'm aware this is a cosmetic issue and least of importance but I was reading on a forum how this can be used to improve acne scars. I was curious if this could be used to heal all types of scars like burns or stretch marks?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to another forum so I will not. But the doctor(he said he was research dermatologist) said that the mesenchymal stem cells are extracted from fat(usually from the abdominal) and cultured to increase and multiply their numbers and then injected in the scar area. He said this treatment is being performed in Asia already. He even posted pictures with results and links to studies. However, his mail box is full and I can't send him a pm so my next best chance to asking if this can be used for other type of scaring(besides acne) is here at this forum.

Again I'm sorry if I offend anyone by asking this with so many other important issues at hand. I'm just curious about this healing other types of scars. Thank you for your time.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
You have posted in the right place and have offended no one since this is a stem cell discussion and support forum. I will run your question by one of the professionals that help on this forum.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Dr. Payne replies

From all I've ever read about stem cells and keloids (scars) -- they contribute to their formation, not their dissolution (See abstract below). Dermatologic researchers are exploiting this by using various stem cells to experimentally fill in acne pits in skin. BTW, I have an idea for how to dissolve scars by genetically engineering a specific cell to pull this off (Something to work on when funding exists).

Int J Dermatol. 2008 Nov;47(11):1112-7. Links
Human mesenchymal stem cells may be involved in keloid pathogenesis.
Akino K, Akita S, Yakabe A, Mineda T, Hayashi T, Hirano A.

Division of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Nagasaki University, Nagasaki, Japan.

BACKGROUND: The pathogenesis of keloid is poorly understood. Although vigorous investigations have attempted to elucidate the mechanisms or causative factors of keloid, there are little data on why keloids are very intractable and recur easily in each patient. METHODS: In an attempt to analyze the possible interaction between human mesenchymal stem cells and keloid-derived fibroblasts, the dual-chamber cell-migration assay, cell proliferation, ultrastructural morphology, and Western blot analysis were used to investigate the production of the extracellular matrices of the coculture. RESULTS: Cell proliferation was not significantly different between keloid-derived fibroblasts and normal dermal fibroblasts during a 4-day observation period. There was a significant cell migration of human mesenchymal stem cells when keloid-derived fibroblasts were placed in the bottom chamber, compared to when normal dermal fibroblasts were placed in the same way in 8-microm diameter pore membranes (190.6 +/- 51.45 and 32.0 +/- 6.20 cells/field, respectively, P < 0.01). With 3-microm diameter pores, the human mesenchymal stem cells migrated in the pores only when the keloid-derived fibroblasts were placed in the bottom chambers (6.4 +/- 3.84 cells/field). Monolayer coculture of human mesenchymal stem cells and keloid-derived fibroblasts demonstrated further functional differentiation, such as collagen secretion and abundant rough endoplasmic reticulum. Western blot analysis of the cells in the modified dual-chamber culture demonstrated most significantly abundant fibronectin expression when the human mesenchymal stem cells contained keloid fibroblasts. CONCLUSION: The results of this study may indicate that human mesenchymal stem cells participate and recruit in keloid pathogenesis by differentiating themselves toward keloid recalcitrant formation and progression.

PMID: 18986439

Anthony G. Payne, Ph.D.

lebowski

A few years ago a biotech called Isolagen was developing a patented process where a small skin biopsy was taken behind an ear and fibroblasts were extracted multiplied and injected into acne scars and stretch marks to supposedly heal them. I haven't really heard anything from them in a few years other than they marketed a stem cell based face lift that failed and I believe they may have declared bankruptcy. I'm not sure if stretch marks can be treated with stem cells alone. I think it depends on if they're really scars. I know they're scar like in appearance, but there is no separation of the skin and from what I've read they appearance is due to collagen/elastin misalignment. I guess if fibrotic tissue is created to try to heal them then they would be, otherwise I suppose they may be able to be cured by stem cells. A few months ago there was a study where mice were bred with biochemically deficient corneas and they were healed with stem cells. Rather than conduct the trial properly and physically damage the mice corneas, the researches simply denied the mice a protein to create the "scar like" collagen matrix to replicate damaged corneas. Its unknown if stem cells will have any effect on corneas that are actually scarred. It would be awesome if scar dissolution were possible. Although it wouldn't be of any use aesthetically until skin regeneration were possible. It would still be a billion dollar idea though - useful in a lot of situations like ms, spinal cord injuries, heart attacks, etc. Speaking of skin regeneration, there have been a number of scientists looking into why fetuses dont scar. One scientist says its because opn levels are high in fetuses and low in adults, another says the same of fetuin, another of certain transforming growth factors, another says its because of mechanical stress, etc.. If only all these ideas were combined... Also, Histatin - a protein found in saliva that was initially thought to only have antifungal properties has also been found to heal wounds twice as fast. I'm not sure if its because of patents or what, but researchers really need to start collaborating, then maybe we can finally make some true progress rather than discoveries that never make it past a clinical trial - if at all.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Talking of cosmetic uses, George Hamilton has revealed that he gets stem cell treatment to keep his youthful appearance. It's the new way to get a face lift and remove wrinkles.

Tommywills

A few years ago a biotech called Isolagen was developing a patented process where a small skin biopsy was taken behind an ear and fibroblasts were extracted multiplied and injected into acne scars and stretch marks to supposedly heal them. I haven't really heard anything from them in a few years other than they marketed a stem cell based face lift that failed and I believe they may have declared bankruptcy. I'm not sure if stretch marks can be treated with stem cells alone. I think it depends on if they're really scars. I know they're scar like in appearance, but there is no separation of the skin and from what I've read they appearance is due to collagen/elastin misalignment. I guess if is created to try to heal them then they would be, otherwise I suppose they may be able to be cured by stem cells. A few months ago there was a study where mice were bred with biochemically deficient corneas and they were healed with stem cells. Rather than conduct the trial properly and physically damage the mice corneas, the researches simply denied the mice a protein to create the "scar like" collagen matrix to replicate damaged corneas. Its unknown if stem cells will have any effect on corneas that are actually scarred. It would be awesome if scar dissolution were possible. Although it wouldn't be of any use aesthetically until skin regeneration were possible. It would still be a billion dollar idea though - useful in a lot of situations like ms, spinal cord injuries, heart attacks, etc. Speaking of skin regeneration, there have been a number of scientists looking into why fetuses dont scar. One scientist says its because opn levels are high in fetuses and low in adults, another says the same of fetuin, another of certain transforming growth factors, another says its because of mechanical stress, etc.. If only all these ideas were combined... Also, Histatin - a protein found in saliva that was initially thought to only have antifungal properties has also been found to heal wounds twice as fast. I'm not sure if its because of patents or what, but researchers really need to start collaborating, then maybe we can finally make some true progress rather than discoveries that never make it past a clinical trial - if at all.
Yes I have read about Isolagen, but never could find anything so I figured something went wrong. Thanks for your insightful post.