Low Back Disc Stem Cell Results: Summary of Regenexx-C Treated Low Back Discs

Claire

This is Dr. Centeno's work with cultured, bone marrow derived stem cells (not available in the US, thanks to the FDA!) Full article and images are on his clinic's site.

What do low back disc stem cells results look like 4-6 years after treatment? In 2005 we began treating our first low back discs with stem cells. We expected to see what the animal models predicted, i.e. significant changes in MRIs-basically new discs regrown from stem cells. Regrettably that didn’t happen as we soon learned that the animal models researchers were using bore little resemblance to the real patients with degenerative disc disease we were seeing in the clinic. Over the next few years we did learn how to use cultured stem cells to help patients with disc bulges pressing on nerves and who couldn’t be managed with conservative treatments. This technology relies on cultured stem cells, so it’s not available in the U.S., but instead only through third party licensees who operate in countries where this type of culture isn’t regulated as a drug. We are working with a third party company to bring this technology through the regulatory hoops in the U.S.

A few weeks ago, I spent a huge amount of time going through all of our charts for treated stem cell disc patients. Some were treated with the second generation of what we believed was best to treat low back discs and some with a later third generation protocol. In addition, none received what we now consider our fourth generation protocol to improve the targeting of the cells in the areas that we believe will respond the most favorably. In addition, while we took great care to ensure that most of these patients only had low back disc pain, low back pain can be caused by discs, nerves, facet joints, SI joints, muscles, ligaments, etc… As a result, some patients had good results with their disc pain, but still had other pain that needed to be addressed. Note that I was able to update many of these follow-ups to the 4-5 plus year mark post-procedure.

The upshot? This infographic is a good example of the Regenexx difference. It contains the kind of details that you can dig up in smaller datasets (i.e. details about each patient) and still present in a manageable form. It shows a ground breaking technique in evolution, but still amazing in that many of these patients avoided big surgeries by a simple injection of their own stem cells. In addition, it’s not hype, but a careful, deliberate, and transparent reporting of the data as it was collected. Click on the link for a bigger PDF. http://www.regenexx.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Summary-of-Regenexx-C-Treated-Disc-Patients-data-available-as-of-Feb-14-20142.pdf