Liquid Oxygen News

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I recently found out that my oxygen supplier, Apria, was planning to discontinue liquid oxygen. If any of you use O2, you know this is horrible news. One of our founding Pioneers, Pat, works for the COPD Foundation and she sent me the following glimmer of hope:

Following is a note received from the COPD Foundation. Hopefully this will be helpful. Pat

The Alpha-1 Association has reported to the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) the widespread denial of liquid oxygen by durable medical equipment companies (DME's). CMS believes this change stems from a misinterpretation by DME's of CR 5010 and they are currently working to resolve this situation. They will provide further information to us shortly which we will transmit to the Alpha-1 Community.

In the interim, it is advised that Medicare/Medicaid recipients file a complaint with their local Durable Medical Equipment Medicare Administrative Contractor (DME MAC). In order to track complaints on this issue it is recommended that individuals wishing to file a complaint call the national call line: 1-800-MEDICARE and tell the operator that they have a serious life threatening issue and would like to file a complaint with their local DME MAC. This will trigger an Ombudsman to get involved which will place additional emphasis on this situ ation at the national level.

I commend CMS for their prompt response to our concerns and look forward to an expedient resolution to this situation. The Association will issue a special issue of Community Currents as soon as it hears from CMS.

Please forward this email to all folks you know of who may be affected and post on all lists that you feel appropriate.