Kidney cancer

EileenMA

My 50 year old brother had a kidney removed several years ago due to cancer. It has recently recurred in his other kidney and is also throughout his lymphatic system.

He just started an experimental immunotherapy at Dartmouth-Hitchcock's Cancer Center. He received about 7 doses of Interleukin-2 and his side effects were bad enough that he is now intubated and in the ICU and just started on dialysis for kidney failure.

I read that they are experimenting with stem cells from a healthy sibling but I can't find a lot of information. (I am not the healthy sib - I have COPD) Is anyone aware of any stem cell procedures used for treating kidney cancer?

Thanks.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Renal disease

Eileen - Renal disease is being treated with stem cell therapy. dumpollo (one of the members of this forum) will be treated this month in El Salvador. The doctor at the company where I went is also treating it, so the answer to your question is a very positive YES.

EileenMA

Thanks, Barbara. I would love to get more information about it. The one article I read was hopeful but I found little else. Do you have any links where I could read more?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
More information

I will be sending you the company information you have requested. I am not a doctor and therefore, couldn't give you a 100 percent yes or no answer as far as your brother goes, but I am certainly going to be in the cheering section for the YES answer for him. It sounds like he is really going through some tough times.