Jeannine is in the hospital

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Jeannine is in the hospital recovering from bilateral pneumonia. I wish her a quick recovery. According to her husband, it is a nasty strain that has been going around New England.

Mysty119

Last Monday, Jeannine and I were talking of how she was doing. She said she finished her round of antibiotics that weekend and though she still has a nasty cough at times she was feeling much better. "My husband has it now and he's just as sick as I was. It's a lousy bug that's for sure, whatever it is. Like you, all I want is to feel better", she said.
Wow----I sure hope she and her husband get well real soon!

carmen868

speedy recovery

I wish her a speedy recovery. Do the pneumonia vaccines really help? That's every five years, and the flu shot once a year, right? How doe s one develop pneumonia out of the blue? I know a gentleman who just got it, they call it "walkimg pneumonia", and sometimes you can't tell if you have it. Is this true?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Jeannine is much better. She had a pneumonia shot she told me, but remember they do not protect against all kinds of pneumonia. I got one and about a month later came down with double pneumonia. Pneumonia can be both bacterial and viral. Pneumonia is easy to catch especially if you have bad lungs and a compromised immune system. My dad had an inoperable brain tumor. This was back in the 80's. He got accepted into an experimental treatment program (guess I take after him as far as pioneering) and was actually showing some signs of improvement. He then got pneumonia while in the hospital (a great place to catch it) and within a couple of days, died from it. It's nothing to fool with, that's for sure.

carmen868

Thanks for clearing that up. It's still scary to think how it can surface just like that. Of course I take lots of vit C and now wheatgrass every day. If my COPD is AAT-related and I don't cough at all, does that still mean I have mucus and possibly inflammation?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I am not a doctor so I can't tell you about whether or not you have mucous, but inflammation is really part of the disease. One thing that you might want to add to your supplements is Vitamin D3 if you do not get out into the sun at least 20 minutes a day. One tablet a day is enough.

Don't start worrying about every bug there is out there. Most people that get pneumonia have a fever, but not always. Some report chills, cough, spitting up blood, severe headache. Bilateral is just another way of saying double pneumonia. This means both lungs were infected. You will know if you have it because you will be very ill. It will be hard to breathe. There are antibiotics that can help you in most cases. Concentrate on feeling well and not ill and it will help Carmen. Worrying is stressful.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Thanks folks

Just to clear up things

I had a pneunonia shot in May 2008 - it doesn't protect against certains types of bacterias. I had a flu shot in Sept 2009

A month ago, I caught a cold which wouldn't go away. I take Vitamins and extra Vitamin C. I called the doctor who gave me Avelox whihc I took for 10 days. I seemed to be improving and went back to work on Monday. I worked all week until Friday afternoon I was sitting a my desk at work and was ovecome with chills and a very rapid heart rate that practically crippled me in the chair. My Oxygen levels wouldn't rise above 93 no matter how high an O2 setting I had. We called 911 and I was rushed to the hospital. I was diagnosed with a bacterial pneumonia (strep) which isn't protected pneumonia shots.

A good lesson is: If you ever feel the way I described above, get to a hospital ASAP. It saved my life.

zee

Preventing pneumonia and Infection

Hello Jeanine:

According to a clinician who helped me with management of the respiratory infection I had in May 2009, the pneumonia shot recommended by the CDC has never been clinically shown to offer protection. This particular clinician recommends a double dose of the childhood immunization that protects against 7 different types of respiratory infections in addition to the pneumonia vaccine recommended by the CDC.

You may want to ask your treating physician about this.

Zee