it has been awhile....

Tami03

Hello all,
We need some major prayers for Ava Grace. She has been diagnosed with spastic quadaplegia (most severe of Cerebral Palsy) and failure to thrive. She also had surgery this past weekend to cut out a boil which has affected her eating. We can't seem to get her to eat which makes everything worse. I am scared beyond anything I have ever felt so far. Please pray.

Kaci's Mom

Hey Tami-
I'm REALLY sorry to hear about Ava Grace. I know it's very hard to deal with knowing that your child has an uncertain future ahead. She is very lucky to have you as her mom because you are a strong person who can persevere through the tough times and the hard work it takes to raise a child with CP- I know you'll do a GREAT job!

I believe that one of the best things you can do for her (and yourself) is to find out everything you can on how to help her recovery. It has personally been my crusade (since Kaci was born) to educate myself on what resources are available. A really great website to start with is www.cerebralpalsy.org. Also to get your foot in the door of Shriners Children's Hospital- www.shrinershq.org.

Anyway, take care of yourself.
Kristin

rosech44

Prayers For Ava Grace

Sorry To Hear This News Tami, But Please Know I Will Be Praying For Both Of You---sending You Big Healing Hugs

Hyperbaric Oxygen?

Would Ava Grace be stable enough to soak in some pure pressurized oxygen?
Say at 1.25 atmospheres. That might stimulate her appetite and improve healing.

alex

During Hyperbaric oxygen therapy the person is placed into a pressurized chamber that is filled with 100% pure oxygen. This pressure allows the blood and oxygen to reach places throughout the body, it normally couldn't get to.

In my husband's case, we did hyperbarics to allow the blood to get to the places/cells in the brain that had been damaged, but were not totally dead yet. It rejuvenates these cells by bringing the blood and oxygen to them and so lets them become functioning cells again.

We did a total of 80 treatments and have seen notable improvements in spasticity and overall well being.

The cost was worth it in our case.

Hyperbaric Oxygen and stem cell mobilization

Here is a copy and paste from Dr. Perlmutter's web page...

New Study Finds Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatments Mobilize Stem Cells

According to a recent study published in the American Journal of Physiology-Heart and Circulation Physiology, (http://ajpheart.physiology.org) hyperbaric oxygen treatments increases by 800% the number of stem cells circulating in a patient's body. Stem cells, also called progenitor cells, are important players in repairing the body after injury and in tissue regeneration. Stem cells exist in the bone marrow and are capable of changing their characteristics to become part of many different organs and tissues. When a body part is injured, stem cells are mobilized and provide the cells necessary for the healing process to occur. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) provides an important trigger or stimulus for this mobilization.It is for this reason that HBOT was utilized and likely responsible, at least in part, for the remarkable recovery Randal McCloy Jr., the only survivor of the recent of Sago Mine accident.
CHEST: Hyperbaric Oxygen Credited for Miner's Recovery - CME Teaching Brief? - MedPage Today

"This is the safest way clinically to increase stem cell circulation, far safer than any of the pharmaceutical options," said Stephen Thom, MD, Ph.D., Professor of Emergency Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, lead author of the study. "This study provides information on the fundamental mechanisms for hyperbaric oxygen and offers a new theoretical therapeutic option for mobilizing stem cells... We reproduced the observations from humans in animals in order to identify the mechanism for the hyperbaric oxygen effect."

So in addition to increasing blood supply and reducing the damaging effects of free radicals, this is yet another mechanism explaining the effectiveness of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in a variety of brain disorders including head trauma, stroke, multiple sclerosis, hypoxic brain injury, Parkinson's disease, cerebral palsy and vascular dementia.

Sasori

Hi Tami

Hope things have been improving. Some other non-invasive alternative treatments you could try are Cranial-Sacchral therapy, Bowen Technique and Body Talk. None of them require active participation, and may just give her the 'kick start' she needs. There's a Mum over here who swears by yoga as well. Hopefully there is something out there that will give her more than it takes, and give her the energy she needs.

Tami03

wanted to let everyone know--- we are going to Peru with Dr Feinerman and Dr Peino!!!! In 2 weeks for lumbar puncture treatment. Finally. It has been such a long road getting to this point but if all goes well it will be well worth it. Pray for us

Mysty119

Tami

I am so happy for you. Two weeks!!!! How great that is!!!
Of course, we will pray for you. Have a safe and fruitful trip!!!

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Tami - I know that another forum member is going also. How very excited you must be. I know you will keep us informed. How long will you be in Peru? I am anxious for all the details. You are a wonderful and caring mom and I am hoping those long nights of worry that you have had will soon be replaced by hope and encouragement.