Is COPD an autoimmune disease?

zar

The Immune System in COPD

The Immune System in COPD
COPD is the fourth leading cause of death in the U.S. It is a complex respiratory disease with a progressive airflow limitation that is associated with an abnormal inflammatory response. Disease progression is understood in broad terms: airborne respiratory irritants enter the lung and initiate tissue damage. Tissue damage results from a combination of inflammation, oxidative stress, and protease activity. However, for reasons that are unknown, only ~20% of smokers develop significant disease. What are the differences in the inflammatory responses of those that do and do not develop COPD?

Most prior studies of molecular mechanisms in COPD can be classified into two groups: those that study one cell type in great detail (e.g. macrophages) but do not provide information on other cell types, or those that explore immune response in multiple cell types simultaneously but focus on a limited number of proteins, typically a few surface markers. The very term "immune system" suggests that, ideally, one should study multiple immune cell types, with particular attention to the signaling mechanisms used to coordinate their activity. Current mass spectrometry technology allows the identification of hundreds of proteins from a single sample, producing a proteomic profile of the cell. We are investigating proteomic profiles from multiple immune cell types - neutrophils, B-lymphocytes, monocytes, CD4+ and CD8+ T-lymphocytes - from single individuals. The data are both comprehensive across the immune system and rich in molecular detail, and together, provides new insight into inflammation in COPD

http://steffen.bu.edu/lab_002.htm

J

JC the Fox

Low Dose Naltrexone

Since I have way too much spare time on my hands nowadays, I've done another google search and came across a couple of websites for LDN. www.lowdosenaltrexone.org is one. Seems that MS is the major target, but supposedly COPD sufferers can benefit from what this stuff does for the immune system. Has anyone out there heard of this? I am ready to make an appointment with a doctor who prescribed inhaled glutathione several months ago for me (yes, it made me breathe better, but it made me so sick to my stomach I had to stop) and see if he'll prescribe this.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
This sounds interesting. Please keep us posted. I do believe that COPD is an autoimmune disease. Keep up your great Pioneering work.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
R alpha lipoic

I am a great believer in alpha lipoic acid. Dr. Ghen gave us some advice to use the R alpha lipoic acid form. I take 600 mg a day.

Pat Chronister

Pioneer Member
alpha lipoic acid

I have A LOT of alpha lipoic acid left over from my stem cell therapy supplements. How is it different from the "R" factor Dr. G. suggested.

Pat Chronister

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
R-lipoic acid is more potent

For those of you that missed it -

Alpha lipoic acid consists of two different forms (isomers) that have vastly different properties. The ?R? form is the biologically active component (native to the body) that is responsible for lipoic acid?s phenomenal antioxidant effect. The ?S? form is produced from chemical manufacture and is not very biologically active. Alpha lipoic acid supplements consist of the ?R? and ?S? form in a 50/50 ratio. That means a 100 mg alpha lipoic acid supplement is providing 50 mg of the biologically active ?R? form.

The human body normally produces and uses R-lipoic acid, the active form. R-lipoic acid significantly reduces inflammatory reactions and has been shown to be more potent than the combined ?R? and ?S? form that comprise alpha lipoic acid.31-40*

When alpha lipoic acid is ingested, it is first converted to its reduced form, R-dihydro-lipoic acid, where the main action of lipoic acid is initiated. R-dihydro-lipoic acid is the reduced (or active) form of R-lipoic acid. R-dihydro-lipoic acid produces the majority of the results attributed to R-lipoic acid and alpha lipoic acid. By consuming R-dihydro-lipoic acid, you are obtaining the form of R-lipoic acid that is immediately available to cells. R-dihydro-lipoic acid is only available in liquid capsules because it is itself a liquid and must be kept sealed from air.

If you are still taking any supplements Pat, I would certainly finish up what Alpha Lipoic I had and then switch to the R-lipoic acid in the future.

Mysty119

Barbara

Is the R Alpha lipoic acid something that needs to be prescribed by a doctor, or something you might be able to get at a vitamin and supplement store?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
You can get it at any place that has a large selection of supplements. It shouldn't cost any more than regular alpha lipoic acid.