Interesting Thoughts

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I am starting this thread so that if you find an interesting quote or announcement concerning stem cells, you may post it here. Sometimes, only a part of an article may pertain to stem cells or you may have heard something on television that you want to share. Just be sure to give credit where credit is due. I wonder if his cord blood bank is where the stem cells I got were obtained. The ones I got did come from Canada. Even though his interview is from 2003, I think he made some good points.

In an interview in 2003 with Dr. Peter Hollands, Scientific Director of Cells for Life, a private cord blood bank in Markham Ontario, LifeSiteNews asked him to comment on the widely held belief that embryonic stem cells might work better than umbilical stem cells, such as those from cord blood. Dr. Hollands said "Why may they work better? We do not even know if they (embryonic stem cells) will work at all! The public must know that adult and umbilical cord blood stem cells are available, proven and ready to use for a range of diseases. We must get away from this idea of the promise of embryonic stem cells and look at the realities of adult and umbilical cord blood stem cells. Embryonic stem cells have yet to be used to treat any form of disease." Dr. Hollands also disagreed with those who contend there is a great need to continue study of embryonic stem cells. "We should focus our attention on the most readily available and usable type of cells and these are adult and umbilical cord stem cells. Embryonic stem cell as at present are largely political rhetoric and scientific hype. Adult and umbilical cord blood stem cells are proven and ready to use. The public needs to know this, " he said. This information was obtained from LifeSiteNews.com