Installment 70 - Ask the Doctor with Dr. Dori Naerbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
About Dr Dori Naerbo

Dr. Dori Naerbo holds a Doctorate (PhD) in organizational psychology and Master of Science Degree (MSc) in Clinical Research from the University of Liverpool. Her dream job working for one of the BIG 5 consulting companies was short-lived because fate had other plans that would bring her back to medicine. Today, Dr. Naerbo is a consultant for biotech companies with a special interest in cellular technology and cardiovascular applications. She is also an author, educating women to learn, prevent, and heal from heart attacks. Dr. Naerbo lives in Norway.

Disclaimer
The information contained in these topics is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only. You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information.

Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider before starting any new treatment or discontinuing an existing treatment. Talk with your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Nothing contained in these topics is intended to be used for medical diagnosis or treatment.​

Questions & Answers

Q: I am planning on getting stem cell treatment for orthopedic conditions I have. The doctor who will be treating me recommends a low carb, low glycemic index or paleo diet. I already follow this diet and have had major health improvements from low carb. Also, my 90-something year old aunt went low carb and is no longer a diabetic and is off a lot of meds. What is your opinion of this type of diet?
A: There is a lot of good research from Newcastle University to support a low calorie diet in reversing Type 2 Diabetes. Their work has shown that people with type 2 diabetes for 4 years or less, major weight loss returns insulin secretion to normal. This type of weight loss is done under medical supervision and you should always check with your healthcare provider before starting any type exercise or diet program. According to researchers a defect occurs in the normal insulin action and insulin secretion when there is too much fat in the liver and pancreas. Substantial weight loss helps to reverse both defects.

Information for doctors: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/Informationfordoctors_revised_April14.pdf

Example diet: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/StudyRecipes.pdf

Q: What are your recommendations for patients who are considering stem cell treatment? Many doctors seem to include post treatment recommendations, but not so many seem to make pre treatment recommendations. What can a patient who is sick do to prepare him or herself for treatment so as to get the most from it?
A: That is an excellent question! I am a firm believer that if you give your body the necessary building blocks it can repair itself. I have witnessed this many times and experienced it first hand where stem cell treatment was not required. I have worked with stem cell cardiovascular patients since 2005 and have noticed two distinct characteristics in patients that do exceptionally well. When I say, “exceptionally well” I mean being able to return to work, getting off a transplant list, and living a normal life. The first distinction is having a positive mental attitude. Many families will call for the patient, but you cannot want it more for them then they want it for themselves.
The power of belief and thinking yourself well is an important mental attitude to support healing. Some may think that it is a placebo effect, however, many patients 5 years post treatment continue to live a normal life. The second characteristic is optimization. Another important factor is to optimize your body prior to treatment. If stem cells have the ability to become its environment then it makes sense to do everything you could to optimize your body prior to stem cell treatments to get the most potential.

Before starting any nutritional or exercise program, you should always check with your health care provider, see the disclaimer above. Try to work with your team for the best results.

I believe you should clear out the junk first. So many people start all types of programs but they are essentially ineffective for numerous reasons. Think of your body as if it were a car. A car needs regular maintenance, oil and filter changes, high-octane gas to run properly. When we do not take care of our car it breaks down. Our bodies are similar it requires maintenance such as proper food, exercise, and sleep. In fact, we can change our gene expression by what we eat, how we think, our environment and exercise. However, over the years we have accumulated toxins and our bodies begin to break down. Before starting a program an easy detox is important to maximize your supplementation and diet program. Be very careful and avoid 24 hour detox. Do not do this! I am not talking about a quick fix. The type of detox I am talking about is at least three weeks. Gentle and easy, not radical and fast. You can also achieve this by using whole foods.

ProPectin™ is an excellent detoxifier and recommended by Dr. Michael Noble.
Dr Michael Nobel explains benefits of ProPectin™

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUv5aATKdLc

Order here: http://bit.ly/1feXVFS

Traversing through the plethora of products can be challenging. There are a number of things you can do such as detox, supplementation to increase telomerase activity, stem cells and of course a positive mental attitude.

Honestly, if I were preparing for a stem cell treatment I would definitely be taking some of the products in Youth Enhancement System by Jeunesse Global, such as the Propectin, NutriGen AM/PM, Finiti and Reserve. If you are a cardiovascular patient, I have a number of things that I recommend in my book. http://dorinaerbo.com or http://amzn.to/X6DRhs Recover/dp/1477604103/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359548229&sr=8-1&keywords=dori+n
If anyone has any questions about the type of supplements that would be useful please contact me directly for a free consultation. (214) 272-0257 or by email: dori@lyse.net Please put in the subject line: StemCell Pioneers

Q: Selenium is used to help grow mesenchymal stem cells in the lab. Is there any translation to helping support our native population of stem cells, or to supporting stem cell therapy? Here are 2 links to studies.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18583539

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24247590

According to the research a selenium deficiency is rare in North America. Actually, there is a formulation developed by Dr. Vincent Giampapa to address stem cell support, it’s called NutriGen AM and PM Essentials.

Dr. Giampapa is a founding member of the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine, Dr. Giampapa served as the first President of the American Board of Anti-Aging Medicine. He is also one of the first Board Certified anti-aging physicians in the world. He is the author of the first and only medical textbook on anti-aging medicine and age management for aesthetic surgeons and has authored five consumer titles on the topic, including: Breaking the Aging Code and The Anti-Aging Solution: 5 Simple Steps to Looking and Feeling Young.
Dr. Giampapa served as a consultant for NASA and has been awarded over a dozen patents from the United States.

Here are the highlights:
  • Telomere maintenance complex – protects and maintains telomeres and the production of telomerase

• Gene expression and calorie restriction mimetics – improve functions of cellular aging and found to delay the aging process in restricted calorie model

• Free radical scavenger complex – a natural mix of synergistic antioxidants that provides support to healthful cell aging

• DNA repair blend – improves repair of single and double DNA strands
• Stem cell maintenance complex – aids in stem cell functions and optimum gene expression of stem cells

• Probiotic blend – restores essential gastrointestinal flora while aiding in digestion and generation of key vitamins

• Cell regulation complex – regulates the release of hormones normally and daily biological rhythm

• Digestive enzymes – increase the values of nutrients obtained from foods and aid in its proper digestion

To learn more:
AM & PM Essentials Beyond vitamin and mineral supplements (15 min)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDN7rLBm5bo
The Science Behind AM & PM Essentials with Dr. Vincent Giampapa (53 min)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opMlOqTYjqA

To order: http://bit.ly/1mCQUq3

Q: There is so much controversy over supplementation with both Vitamin D and calcium. It seems that every week a new study pops up to confuse us even more. What are your recommendations or opinion on this subject?
A: You are absolutely correct it is confusing! What are people to believe? As a woman, we are taught the importance of calcium through the childbearing years and through menopause to prevent osteoporosis. Most women were taking calcium supplements in addition to other sources. Then a study was published that excess calcium can be bad for your heart!
When I read a new study about the latest and greatest new supplement I read it with discernment. My suggestion is use food as your vitamins. For Vitamin D get out in the sun or choose foods such as wild salmon, ahi tuna, mushrooms and eggs. Now with the radiation fallout from Japan, I am not too sure about fish. In addition, you can reduce your body’s need for vitamin D by reducing your carbohydrate intake, according to researchers.

Choose natural sources for calcium, contrary to belief you don’t have to eat dairy to get calcium.

Consider some of the following examples:
  • 3.2 ounces of sardines contains more than 340 milligrams of calcium, about 2.5 times that of 4 ounces of cow's milk.
  • 1 cup of steamed collards and 1 cup of cow's milk are nearly identical in terms of calcium (with collards providing 266 milligrams and cow's milk providing 276 milligrams)
  • 100 calories worth of spinach provides you with twice as much calcium as 100 calories worth of yogurt
  • 4 ounces of tofu, 2 TBS of sesame seeds, 1.5 cups of steamed collard greens, and 4 ounces of scallops provide you with 1,100 milligrams of calcium, or 110% DV. At the same time, these four foods only use up 394 calories, or about 22% of an 1,800-calorie meal plan.

Q: I have COPD and mild pulmonary hypertension. Cardiac problems are also quite common with COPD patients. What diet, exercise and supplementation recommendations would you make for patients with lung disease to protect the heart and keep us as healthy as possible?
A: This is a question best answered by your physician. However, lets discuss mitochondrial dysfunction, glycation and cross linkage, the root cause of many diseases.

What is mitochondria?
  • Mitochondria produces ATP
  • Mitochondria are specialized rod-shaped structures (organelles) found in most living cells
  • The number of mitochondria in a cell varies from one to hundreds depending on the how much energy the cell needs
  • They are often called the “powerhouse” of the cell because they convert oxygen and nutrients into ATP (adenosine triphosphate)

Mitochondrial Dysfunction, Glycation & Crosslinking
  • Glycation is a mechanism that can result in mitochondrial dysfunction and chronic inflammation
  • Glycation changes the shape and properties of proteins
  • One way glycation occurs is when sugar attaches to proteins=CROSSLINKING
  • Crosslinking reduces the flexibility, elasticity, and functionality of the proteins
  • Glycation and crosslinking can initiate harmful inflammatory and autoimmune responses

Stem Cells and Mitochondrial Function
  • Stem cells become compromised as a result of mitochondrial impairment and free radical damage
  • Stem cells are the body's repair mechanism, which is why mitochondrial function is so important
  • Mitochondrial dysfunction inhibits the ability of stem cells to self renew
  • Stem cells lose their restorative potential with age
  • To reverse the aging process, it is important to feed the mitochondria at the cellular level

Cell death, accelerated aging and development of chronic disease occur when normal cellular activities are disrupted through a mechanism called glycation, which is one cause of mitochondrial dysfunction.

One product that specifically addresses mitochondrial dysfunction and glycation is Enzacta: http://cell.enzacta.com This is the first product I would start with and then build up to the rest. You may find, like me, that you do not need stem cell treatment. Please contact me for more information and ordering.

Q: Should women consider hormone replacement therapy? If so, is there an over-the-counter supplement that would work as well as a prescription drug? Is HRT something that would go on for the lifetime of a postmenopausal woman? I am just not sure of the role that hormones play in m health. I am 65 years old.
A: There are many variables to consider and the decision to take HRT should be between you and your doctor. I am cautious of over the counter hormone replacement therapy, in part due to a blood clot I developed from a wild yam supplement. Personally, I would not take HRT due to the known health risks:
  • Increased risk of endometrial cancer
  • Increased risk of blood clots and stroke
  • Increased risk of breast cancer
  • According to the Women's Health Initiative, women taking estrogen-progestin combination therapy have an increased risk of heart disease.
Now, there are many that advocate for bio identical hormones. There is a lot of information regarding bio identical hormones. I have friends who swear by the Sottopelle therapy and have life changing experiences: http://www.sottopelletherapy.com

The use of Femarelle is very good to alleviate the symptoms: http://femarelle.com

Dr. Thierry Hertoghe is the leading expert in hormone replacement therapy and author of several books, such as Hormone Solution, Look and Feel Younger Longer. He holds a number of positions in international and national organizations, amongst which the presidency of the International Hormone Society (over the 2500 physicians) and of the World Society of Anti-Aging Medicine (over the 7000 physicians).

Q: What role does our mind play in healing our bodies? I notice that you have been a clinical hypnotherapist. Is there any type of mental preparation that can help prior to stem cell treatment?
A: Having a good positive mental attitude is critical in healing our bodies. Think it, believe it and create the mental outcome. Do this everyday as if you were an athlete getting ready for a competition. We are all capable of self-healing; our bodies are equipped with an innate system to repair itself. After all, that is the purpose of stem cells, self-renewal and repair.

I would learn how to meditate, and visualize the positive outcome you want to achieve. When you are in a relaxed state, give yourself positive suggestions.

Here is an example of two children and how they envisioned chemotherapy.

On a cancer ward, children were asked to draw a picture of their chemotherapy treatments. They were instructed to use colors. During a seminar by Dr. Bernie Siegel, he held up two pictures, one child colored the chemotherapy IV bag, completely black. In fact, black was the only colored used. The chemo was going into the child’s arm with deep black lines.

The next picture he held up was in complete contrast; this child used primarily yellow and rosy colors. The chemotherapy IV bag was yellow and behind the bag a picture of the sun with golden sunrays hitting the bag. The picture depicted this child has happy, while the other was sad. Dr. Siegel reported that the child that visualized the chemotherapy as poison (black) experienced a negative outcome, whereas, the child that visualized chemotherapy as rays of sunshine (yellow) experienced a positive outcome.

Q: Heart disease remains the number one killer. Your book focuses on women, but what advice would you give men? I have a big gut to be frank. My father had an enormous gut and ate like there was no tomorrow. I watch my diet carefully and try to exercise, but I can't seem to get rid of the gut that I got years ago before I was watching my diet carefully. Do you have any suggestions? I am not fat elsewhere, just the gut.
A: Much of what I say in the book pertains to men as well. The belly fat in men is a concern because it increases your risks of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, colorectal cancer and sleep apena. Losing weight is the first step. There are many factors that play a role in belly fat such as genetics, aging, loss of muscle mass and loss of fat from the arms and legs.
Sometimes we are not aware of how many calories we are actually consuming. I like to use an app on my phone called MyFitness Pal, this makes you really think twice about what you are eating. Next, I would combine it with another app called Endomondo for the exercise. These two apps work together and calculate your daily caloric needs in order to lose weight.

Lifestyle changes
Stop smoking; lose weight, DASH diet if you have hypertension. Eat to live, not live to eat. Make wise food choices. Shop the walls of the store; this is where the major food groups are located and stay out of the process food section, which is in the middle. In fact, to really avoid temptation go shopping after you have eaten. You will be less tempted if you have a full stomach.

Lifestyle changes are the hardest things to do for most people, the two big vices are overeating and smoking, which is why I wrote a hypnotherapy script to address weight and smoking. Do they work? Yes, they do if you are consistent and truly have the desire to change your life.

Portion control
Reduce your serving size. Instead of eating on a large dinner plate, choose the next size down. Your stomach is as big as your fist. Put your fist on your plate and you can see how much are you overeating.

Chewing
One reason people overeat is because the do not chew their food properly. The chewing action is very important because after about 20 minutes of chewing your satiation center in the brain communicates with your stomach that you are satisfied and no longer hungry. Next time you eat, take your time eat slowly and chew each bite at least 30 times. Studies show that people who chew, ate slowly and consumed 10 percent fewer calories.

I believe all heart patients should have a sleep study. You would be surprised how many people actually need a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure). Very important!

Q: I sometimes feel very depressed. It seems like there is nothing to look forward to but more days of being sick. I would do everything possible to get money for stem cell treatment if I felt positive that I would get some benefit, but I worry that if it didn't help me that much I would just be more depressed. What can I do to lift myself out of this funk?
A: I understand what you are saying and that it can be difficult to make a decision especially if you are on a fixed budget and it does not work. That is a valid possibility. You are saying if stem cell treatment were guaranteed to work you would get the money. If you are not feeling positive you are feeling negative, which is fear based.

What if I get the treatment and doesn’t work?
What if I spend all that money and it doesn’t work?
I worry that it is not going to help me and I get more depressed.

The first thing you need to do is to develop a positive mental attitude. When you have a strong positive mental attitude there is no room for fear, as the two cannot exist is the same space.

Belief cuts both ways. Let me give you one example.

After having a heart transplant the patient asks the doctor, “How long do I have to live with this new heart?” The doctor says, “ 80% of the patients live 5 years, but maybe you will in the 20%.” Five years later almost to the date, the patient’s cholesterol numbers were doubling and tripling every week. The physicians had no idea what caused it; they have never seen anything like this before. They are giving the patient everything they can think of to bring the number down and nothing is working. The patient dies almost to the date of 5 years.

Now, think about it. He was perfectly fine, no cholesterol or rejection problems. Then suddenly as if an alarm went off, its 5 years! 5 years! 5 years! And in a matter of weeks, he was dead. Do I believe in the power of belief, a resounding yes I do! This man is my father and he became his own self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Be aware of the negative self-talk. Start to do things that bring you joy. What makes you happy? What hobby did you do when you were younger that made you really happy?
  • Find ways to be grateful and appreciative. Life is a short gift; make the most of everyday by living instead of choosing to look forward to more sick days. Start looking forward to well days.

Here is a little tip that I did when I was recovering and in my funk, so to speak, I took a rubber band and put it around my wrist, every time a negative thought would pop in, I would snap it. The brain does not like pain, it will do everything it can to avoid it. So what happens? You start to think less and less of things that are negative, because now you have just associated negative feeling with pain.

Keep yourself occupied an idle brain is no good for recovery. Find something to do, learn a new language because you want to travel to your dream destination. Take up a new hobby. Find ways to make more money, the thought should not be I can’t afford it, it should be, how can I afford it. When you change your thoughts your creative mind goes to work and finds ways. You will be amazed at the process. If you had all the disposable income you need, money would not be the issue; you would go and have the treatment. You would most likely get the treatment if the odds were in your favor.

Q: Do you have any recommendations for pain management that don't include NSAIDS or prescription drugs? Also, any natural remedies you can recommend for migraine headaches?
A: Actually, I do. There is a company called FGXpress that make pain patches, which is an FDA class 1 medical device. There have been excellent reports.

Learn more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSqqML6cXgs

Order here:
http://nomeds.fgxpress.com

If anyone has any questions please contact me directly for a free consultation. https://www.timetrade.com/book/TKPBM or via my website or by e-mail. Please put in the message box: StemCell Pioneers

dori@lyse.net
http://www.dorinaerbo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.