Installment 59 - Ask the Doctor with Dr Burton Feinerman/Lung Institute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
About Dr Feinerman

Dr. Burton Feinerman recently joined the Lung Institute and Regenerative Medicine Solutions as its medical director.
The launch of Regenerative Medicine Solutions, formerly Stem Cell Regen Med, is part of Advanced Healthcare Partners’ growth strategy and continued commitment to create and operate advanced business platforms for healthcare companies with efficiency and effectiveness.
Regenerative Medicine Solutions (RMS), is committed to applying modern day best practices to the growing field of regenerative medicine. With advanced medical treatment facilities offering personalized, ongoing care plans and the highest quality of customer service, we are dedicated to providing a better life for patients. RMS’s subsidiary company, Lung Institute, is committed to providing patients with a more effective way to address pulmonary conditions such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema and other known lung disorders.

Q: Which stem cell treatment would be best for neuropathic nerve pain/neuritis - manipulated or non-manipulated?
A: Administration of mesenchymal stem cells which will reduce the inflammatory aspect; neuron stem cells; nerve growth factor; neuro-trophins administered into the peripheral nerves involved.

Q: I would like to know what Dr. Feinerman's current treatment protocol for COPD consists of. I know it has changed over the past year as he learns more about what works and what doesn't.
A: Treatment consists of the use of autologous stem cells extracted from the patient's own peripheral blood or bone marrow or adipose fat tissue. In addition nebullizer treatments of Glutathione and Trans Retinoic Acid; Granulocyte Macrophage Colony Stimulating Factor 480 mcg; Adrenomedulin; Anti-Fibroblast Factor; Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor; Hepatocyte Growth Factor
The autologous stem cells are also administered with a positive pressure nebulizer, Although number of stem cells are greater in than from the blood I have not noted appreciable differences with bone marrow or adipose sources. Bone marrow extraction can be painful. Adipose extraction is much more invasive and risks of bleeding and infection may occur. The tumescent anesthesia uses very large does of lidocaine and epinephrine that can be potentially dangerous in some patients. I, therefore, recommend the effective and completely safe autologous stem cells from the blood. There is a place for stem cells from adipose tissue in patients with pulmonary fibrosis; in those patients that have not achieved maximum results after stem cell treatments obtained from the blood and in those patients who have associated autoimmune conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, Crohn's and Lupus.
Results from the autologous stem cells from the blood have been encouraging and a significant number of seriously ill patients report after the treatment that they can engage in more physical activities than before without getting shortness of breath and have a improved life style. Those on oxygen were able to reduce its use and in some patients stop it completely.
I explain to patients that the treatment they receive from me over a three day period is just the start and needs to be followed with home use of Glutathione and Trans Retinoic Acid; injections of hepatocyte growth factor; oral supplements of DNA Protection, Mitochondrial Repair enhancer; Stemtrition and Telomerase (LivLong).

Q: I have been looking into stem cell treatments for cerebral palsy. My son had a cord blood infusion at Duke in September, 2012. I am wanting to do more stem cell treatments. I have seen studies from Dr. Cox (UTMB) saying that bone marrow stem cells are safe for treatment of TBI. I have also seen studies that say they have proven bone marrow stem cells can differentiate into brain cells (this was out of a study at Bethesda funded by NIH). I haven't seen anything on adipose stem cells though saying that they will differentiate into brain cells. Specifically, my son is needing oligodendrytes (white matter cells). What are your thoughts on adipose treatments?
A: I am not an advocate on using autologous stem cells to treat neurological disorders. I have noted where other doctors are using mesenchymal stem cells from the bone marrow or adipose tissue and giving them intravenously. This is worthless. Your son needs adult neuron or oligdendrocytes mixed with brain derived neurotrophic factor, nerve growth factor, neurotrophins and glial cells that are administered into the brain and central nervous system via the lower spinal canal that enables passage through the blood brain barrier. I have done this in hundreds of patients with successful results. The procedure is safe, painless, non-surgical and scientific.

Q: How do the stem cells know which organ or area to repair? When you draw a patient's blood do you look for and isolate a different stem cell for a particular organ?
A: Stem cells have qualities to replicate and migrate to areas of damage in the organs. These are inate properties that all stem cells have. Some conditions autologous stem cells from the patient are effective such as COPD, pulmonary fibrosis, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, scleroderma, Crohn's.
Other conditions are best to use adult stem cells often obtained from umbilical cord blood such as cardiomyocytes for heart disease; neuron stem cells that produce dopamine in Parkinson; pancreatic islet stem cells that produce insulin for diabetes; neuron stem cells for ALS, Alzheimer's, Multiple Sclerosis, Cerebral Palsy, Autism.

Q: Using your treatments for cerebral palsy patients, you differentiate them into neural stem cells, which gives you a window of opportunity to infuse them before being rejected, which costs a lot higher. Comparing your treatment to those that are not differentiated, what makes your treatments better? I ask this because I know there are many different types of neural stem cells that exist. Do you have any publications to prove it is a better procedure?
A: There are doctors using autologous stem cells from patients and using them for heart disease,macular degeneration, ALS, diabetes. These treatments in my opinion are worthless. I would use for example adult cardiomyocytes for heart disease; retina pigmented epithelial cells that are implanted in the subretina for macular degeneration, neuron stem cells for ALS; pancreatic islet stem cells for diabetes. Costs for the adult stem cells are higher but you will get the best results.

Q: I must say my biggest concern about stem cells used in the treatment of emphysema is just how effective are these treatments? Also, how many treatments are there and what might the cost be? Are only your own stem cells from fat used? I recognize everyone may not respond in the same way, but I would hope stem cell therapy is a very real option to be considered. I want to get back to a better quality of life that what I have currently.
A: I have answered this question in detail in question 2. Stem cells are effective in treating COPD, Emphysema and Pulmonary Fibrosis. I believe that in addition to the stem cells other agents are necessary to get effective results.
Patients have reported that they are able to be more active without getting short of breath and lead a more a happier life style. Some patients will benefit with a follow up treatment of stem cells 6 to 12 months later. Costs for stem cell treatments are $7,500. If the patient gets a second treatment the cost is 50% less.

Q: What makes an adipose treatment at your clinic any different than an adipose treatment at another clinic?
A: We use additional agents as noted in my answer to question 2 and not only the stem cells.

Q: Is there significant recovery time from the liposuction done to extract the fat cells? Does it require anesthesia or just a local? Can the fat stem cells be stored for future use or for repeat treatments does the procedure need to be repeated?
Recovery time after mini-liposuction is short from 3-4 days. Fat stem cells are all used during the first procedure and if we stored them even in liquid nitrogen their viability would be greatly reduced.

Q: What conditions/diseases are you treating at your new location?
A: At our new location 201 E. Kennedy Blvd. #425, Tampa, FL 33602 (1-855-469-5864), we treat COPD, Emphysema, Pulmonary Fibrosis, Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis plus we do evaluations for neurological, cardiac, hormonal, immunological, genetic disorders. There are some cases of cancer that are considered terminal and the patient has already received maximum care with either surgery or chemotherapy or radiation in which we would offer tumor immunotherapy with administration of T cytotoxic cells, IL-2, Natural killer cells, Dendritic cells to augment the immune system.
We can do evaluations at our office for ALS, End Stage Kidney disease, Parkinson, Alzheimer's, Multiple Sclerosis, Cerebral Palsy, Brain Damage, Autism, Diabetes, Heart Disease, Lupus, Scleroderma,
If the patients are candidates for stem cell therapy they would be treated at a modern hospital in Lima, Peru.

Status
Not open for further replies.