Installment 51 - Ask the Doctor with Burton Feinerman MD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
STEMCELLREGENMED announces its invitation for patients that have Retinitis Pigmentosa, Age related Macular Degeneration, Stargardt Disease (juvenile macular degeneration), Huntington Disease, Tay-Sachs, Metachromatic Leukodystrophy, ALS, Parkinson to contact us to discuss our new stem cell and gene therapies. We also continue to treat multiple sclerosis, chronic kidney/end stage kidney disease, autism, heart disease, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, aging skin, COPD, Pulmonary Fibrosis, spinal cord injury, cerebral palsy, brain damage, scleroderma.

BURTON FEINERMAN, M.D.
PRESIDENT, STEMCELLREGENMED, INC.
2627 N.E. 203 STREET, #207, AVENTURA(MIAMI),FL 33180
email: bfeinerman@hotmail.com
Phone: (305)682-1004

Q: In 2006, I was exposed to fibre glass fibers from ceiling batts. 48 hours after exposure, I had serious reactions including not being able to breathe, sleep patterns in disarray (sleep 2 hours, then wake up), flu like symptoms, the list goes on. Ever since then I have been on Symbicort. Initial doses were 1600mg per day for about the first 6 months. Currently I am on 400 mg per day. My asthma symptoms have improved slowly. Would adult stem cells help repair the damage to my airways? They have scarring in the middle and lower lobes as shown on CT scans. I am concerned because I have been on Symbicort which is a steroid for so long that my eyes could have damage as my first consultation has noted. Any help is appreciated.
A: It sounds like you have Pulmonary Fibrosis which we would treat using autologous stem cells from your blood,bone marrow or adipose tissue. In addition we would start you on nebulizing Glutathione and Trans-Retinoic Acid and add three other factors, one which is a special protein; an anti-fibrosis agent; and a new pulmonary growth factor that has helped improve a number of resistant patients.
We recently treated a patient who came all the way from Bombay, India and following his treatments his pulmonary function tests and x-rays showed significant improvements.
Under a doctor's supervision you should gradually reduce and eventully stop the cortisone medications. You can contact my office to answer any questions you may have.

Q: Are all of your treatments for Cerebral Palsy done outside the U.S.? Have you ever treated any adults with cerebral palsy? What kind of results are you getting?
A: I have treated cerebral palsy patients for over fifty years, children and adults. Stem cell treatments started six years ago. We have had very good results which involve the administration of neuron brain stem cells mixed with brain derived neurotrophic factor, nerve growth factor and glial factor into the central nervous system and brain via the spinal canal enabling passage through the blood brain barrier. The treatment is safe, painless, non-surgical and scientific. Results depend on what areas have been affected but may include reduction or disappearance of spasticity in upper and/or lower extremities, improved gait and use of hands, improved speech and cognitive skills.
The best treatment available must be done outside of the USA because of prevailing antiquated laws. In our particular case we use a high technology center in Lima, Peru to perform our therapies. However, we see a number of patients in Miami, Florida that we can offer an approved alternate treatment that includes neurological agents intravenously that help many of the symptoms and signs.

Q: Are you doing any formal studies of patient results after you have treated them? If so, will they be published?
A:We have waited until now to start publishing our medical research studies until we had a reasonable number of patients to report for the numerous conditions that we treat. These will be published in peer review journals this coming fall and winter.
I shall also be publishing a book called "Stem Cell Battles" before October in hard cover and e-book.

Q: My 4 month old baby boy is having HSMN (Hereditary Sensory and Motor Neuropathy). I need help in knowing options available for stem cell therapy.
A:As you probably know there are at least seven major groups falling into the diagnosis of hereditary sensory and motor neuropathy(including Charcot-Marie-Tooth; Dejerine-Sottas disease,etc.) which vary a lot with symptoms and signs. So the first thing you need to do is to have gene testing done on your child to narrow down the specific group.
You should ask your pediatrician or pediatric neurologist where this testing can be done. Once the gene laboratory has a specimen of your child's blood it will take 4-8 weeks to get a result. I shall be happy to assist you once you get these results and recommend a combined stem cell and gene treatment that is not available anywhere else.

Q: I have recently been reading and surfing on the topic of stem cell treatments. It appears there are clinics out there that will provide a stem cell treatment (not covered by medical insurance) for many diseases or conditions. In surfing around on this forum I see that there are some promising results for many ailments.
Is what I just stated reasonably correct?

A:Certainly there has been an explosion of stem cell clinics throughout the world. When I first started about 6 years ago there were just a few, now there are hundreds. My suggestion to you is to follow the following rules in determining which place to go to:

• (a) only use specific tissue stem cells that fit the serious medical condition. For example with conditions such as ALS, Parkinson, Alzheimer's, Multiple Sclerosis. Spinal Cord Injury, Brain Damage - use only neuron stem cells and brain nerve growth factors. For heart disease use only adult cardiomyocytes and mesenchymal stem cells. For diabetes use only pancreatic islet stem cells that produce insulin. For Parkinson ideally use neuron stem cells that produce dopamine. Some conditions you can use autologous stem cells such as COPD, Pulmonary Fibrosis, Chronic Kidney disease, Aging skin, autoimmune diseases.
  • (b) method of adminstration is important eg. intrathecal (intraspinal canal) administration for neurodegenerative diseases to enable passage through the blood brain barrier. Using intravenous route will not help ameliorate these conditions. However there are many other conditions in which the intravenous route will work well.
  • (c) who are the people treating you? There are many clinics that use nurses, naturopaths and other non M.D. personnel or doctors who have had little experience treating patients with stem cells. Patients very often have advanced serious incurable diseases that need the best trained M.D.s and scientists. For example at our center in South America we have physicians and scientists trained from the Mayo Clinic, Mt.Sinai Hospital Medical School, N.Y., George Washington University School of Medicine; University of California School of Medicine, Uinversity of Miami School of Medicine with special skills and knowledge.

Q: I'm not sure if this falls under speculation or if it is known, but if a person had a degenerative disease and goes to a stem cell clinic and has a procedure that has recently been shown to have good results, is the disease still progressing? If so, could a routine of going back for the same procedure every so many years keep a degenerative disease at bay or is the disease just masked, meaning does stem cell treatment halt a degenerative disease temporarily or permanently or does it reverse or cure it?
A:Neurodegenerative diseases ALS, Parkinson, Multiple Sclerosis, Alzheimer's are good examples to discuss in regards to your question. Sometimes after a treatment patients may show initial improvement only to relapse. A good example of this would be multiple sclerosis. The idea of stem cell treatments is to hope to repair and regenerate new healthy cells and thus achieve a result towards normalcy.
However in many cases it may stop the progress of the disease but not cure it. I think the answer lies in learning more about the results of our treatments. For example the number of cells probably needs to be increased from 1-5 million to 25-50 million cells and the number of supporting factors also increased.
The patients also should have gene testing and if mutations are found they should be deleted using specific shRNA agents. It is essential to remove these abnormal genes as the first step in their therapy.
Some of the neurodegenerative disease have either amyloid or tau protein deposits in the brain that also need to be removed as part of the treatment. The question also relates to how many initial treatments need to be given.Following initial treatment some patients need to be scheduled six months later for a repeat procedure. The problem arises about the time needed to give more treatments and the the costs which are already high to begin with. For this we plan to start a non-profit Foundation to assist the many that need financial assistance.

Q: What are the best treatments so far for COPD? What are the latest advances in stem cells for this disease? Do you work with any doctors here in the Philippines? Do you see a cure or something close to it in the near future?
A: We have had our best success treating patients that have COPD with autologous stem cells extracted either from peripheral blood, bone marrow or adipose tissue. Using peripheral blood is the least invasive and the stem cells can be increased once they are in the pulmonary vascular network(pulmonary trap) by injecting granulocyte macrophage stimulating factor. This is followed by starting nebullizer treatments of glutathione and trans-retinoic acid. We also give a special protein and pulmonary growth factor in our office treatment.
Patients report improvement in their breathing; ability to be more active and show good changes in their pulmonary function tests.

Q: If a person is over 65 or 70, would it be better to use stem cells from another source such as umbilical cord or placenta than to use one's own old tired out diseased stem cells?
A: I answered this in a previous question earlier. Adult stem cells extracted from umbilical cord blood are particularly good for neurodegenerative diseases such as ALS, Alzheimer's. In Parkinson we use neuron stem cells that produce dopamine. In diabetes we use pancreatic islet stem cells that secrete insulin. Cardiomyocytes are ideal for heart disease.
Autologous stem cells are still useful in treating COPD, Pulmonary Fibrosis, chronic kidney disease and autoimmune diseases. It should be pointed out that with each disease treated that additional agents are needed besides stem cells. Some require deleting the abnormal gene mutations such as Tay Sachs and Huntington disease.
Some neurodegenerative diseases require removing tau protein or amyloid from the brain. COPD treatment requires glutathione, trans- retinoic acid, pulmonary growth factor etc

Q: Do you see any hope that someday insurance coverage will be provided for stem cell therapy.? ObamaCare does not seem to cover any alternative medicine and as long as stem cell treatments are not considered main stream medicine like all the drugs and surgeries are, then a lot of people will not be able to get multiple treatments or in some cases even one treatment.
A: I was involved in the 1960s in treating one of the earliest bubble babies(combined immune deficiency) which at that time cost the parents over $150,000(probably equivalent to $750,000 in today's money) since insurance did not pay for it at the time. It took about 15 years before insurance companies started picking up the tab. The same will likely occur with stem cell treatments but not under a universal health plan such as Obamacare.

Q: Why is everyone so enthralled with adipose stem cell treatment? Is it cheaper, easier, more effective? I see a lot of hype about it, but haven't heard of any major breakthrough type results from it.
A:Adipose tissue does contain more stem cells than blood and even bone marrow. However, both of these treatments are painful and invasive. I prefer extracting stem cells from blood and giving G-CSF before extraction and then for daily injections for two days that will result in the same amount of stem cells as adipose tissue and leave the patient a lot happier. Remember stem cells by themselves will probably not give all the results you want and additional agents are needed to get the best results.

BURTON FEINERMAN, M.D.
STEMCELLREGENMED
2627 N.E.203 ST.#207
AVENTURA, FL 33180
Phone: (305)682-1004
email: bfeinerman@hotmail.com
www.stemcellregenmed.com

Status
Not open for further replies.