I would like to apologize

Tami03

To Barbara, Jeanine and everyone one else,

I would like to apologize to everyone for my comments and ask for your forgivenenss.

Last edited:

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Tami03 - Thank you.

You certainly have my forgiveness. Please continue to be a member of this forum as information like yours is vital for others to know about. Please do not give up hope. There is so much going on right now with stem cell therapy and your daughter is young. She will have another chance I am sure and next time with a company that truly wants your daughter to get well. Take care and you are to be commended for your posting of your apology on the open forum. I do appreciate it and I know others will too.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Criteria for allogenic stem cell transplants

While we are discussing how some companies could care less if their treatments aren't successful, I wanted to repost this for those considering non autologous transplants. Understand please, that not all companies are out to take the money and run, but there are some and that is so unfortunate.

Interesting thoughts from a research doctor as to why some uc stem cell therapies don't work for some people. He puts the blame on the company the person went to. Barb

Criteria for Allogeneic (Non-Self) Stem Cell Transplants

1. Certificate of analysis stating that the donor cells are free of any genetic defects. The companies can sample a few number of cells and run a gene chip analysis against known sequences (in Human Genome database) of genetic defects.

2. Donor cells MUST be gender specific. Male donor cells will not work in female recipients (cells with testosterone receptors on cell surfaces will not respond to estrogen and progesterone). Female donor cells will not work in male recipients (cells with estrogen and progesterone receptors will not respond to testosterone).

3. Must decide which is cell type of interest from cord blood cells ? all types are present, i.e., hematopoietic stem cells, ectodermal stem cells, mesodermal stem cells, endodermal stem cells, and pluripotent stem cells. One can separate hematopoietic stem cells from other stem cell types by using CD45 sorting. All hematopoietic stem cells are CD45+ (positive), while other stem cell types are CD45- (negative). Can sort by either FACS (fluorescent activated cell sorting), magnetic beads, or panning.

4. Freezing protocols must be aligned to type of cell. If hematopoietic stem cells are preferred choice (will only form hematopoietic lineage cells) then can flash freeze cells in liquid nitrogen (-196C). If non-hematopoietic stem cells (i.e., ectodermal stem cells, mesodermal stem cells, endodermal stem cells, or pluripotent stem cells) are preferred cell of choice then MUST slow freeze at -75C (liquid nitrogen kills ~95-98% of non-hematopoietic stem cells). Freezing cells at -75C, necessitates the use of a cryoprotectant, i.e., 99.999% pure DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide). Make up cell suspension in freezing medium-A at twice (2X) final concentration. Add DMSO to feezing medium-B to a concentration of 15%. Mix medium-A (cells) with medium-B (DMSO) 50:50, to a final concentration of 1X cells in 7.5% DMSO. Place cell/DMSO mixture into cryovials, then place cryovials into slow freezing chamber and then into -75C freezer. Store at -75C (storing in liquid nitrogen kills stem cells).