I need help designing a label

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I am trying to design a label for my stem cells since the FDA has declared them to be drugs. Should I wear some kind of bracelet or something around my neck or what does anyone think would be appropriate? Perhaps, a nice tatoo on my behind would be good so that it is permanently there come rain or come "moon" shine.
What warnings should I include? Will the advisory board visit me at my home and draw some blood so they can determine whether I am fit for approval? Do I need to vacuum (GASP) if they do want to visit? Remember, I suffer from severe NOVAC. There are so many questions to be answered. With so many of us out there needing approval, how will they do this? When I was little, I always wondered how Santa Claus could get to all the houses in just one night. I never thought I would be wondering this same thing as an adult about the FDA! And the biggest worry of all is how long will they let me stay on the market? Now, that's a scary thought.

Gaps, Tensions, and Conflicts in the FDA Approval Process:: Conflicts of Interest in the Approval Process

Posted on MedScape

Conflicts of Interest in the Approval Process

Another problem that has recently come to light in the FDA approval process is conflict of interest on the part of some members of the agency's 18 drug advisory committees. These committees include about 300 members, and are influential in recommending whether drugs should be approved, whether they should remain on the market, how drug studies should be designed, and what warning labels should say. The decisions of these committees have enormous financial implications for drug makers.

A report by USA Today indicated that roughly half the experts on these panels had a direct financial interest in the drug or topic they were asked to evaluate. The conflicts of interest included stock ownership, consulting fees, and research grants from the companies whose products they were evaluating. In some cases, committee members had helped to develop the drugs they were evaluating. Although federal law tries to restrict the use of experts with conflicts of interest, USA Today reported that FDA had waived the rule more than 800 times between 1998 and 2000. FDA does not reveal the magnitude of any financial interest or the drug companies involved.[27]

Nonetheless, USA Today reported that in considering 159 Advisory Committee meetings from 1998 through the first half of 2000, at least one member had a financial conflict of interest 92% of the time. Half or more of the members had conflicts at more than half the meetings. At 102 meetings that dealt specifically with drug approval, 33% of committee members had conflicts.[27] The Los Angeles Times reported that such conflicts were present at committee reviews of some recently withdrawn drugs.[18]

The FDA official responsible for waiving the conflict-of-interest rules pointed out that the same experts who consult with industry are often the best for consulting with the FDA, because of their knowledge of certain drugs and diseases. But according to a summary of the USA Today survey reported in the electronic American Health Line, "even consumer and patient representatives on the committees often receive drug company money."[28] In 2001, Congressional staff from the House Government Reform Committee began examining the FDA advisory committees, to determine whether conflicts of interest were affecting the approval process.[2

Last edited:

hlichten

Super Moderator
Maybe a "Stem Cells Inside" as a direct copy of the "Intel Inside" logo:

That way, we could have the pleasure of getting sued by Intel at that same time that we are under FDA investigation! :rolleyes:

I am also a lifetime charter member of NOVAC, and my Santa question was not about how he got to all the houses, but how he ate all the milk and cookies!

My guess is that the FDA must provide him some special, secret drug to settle his tummy! :)

This would be a really, good, working drug, i.e. NOT for sale anywhere!!

Now, if I have to start wearing tattoos on my rear, we are definitely going to need some additional warnings!!

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I loved your reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am accepting your help with the design. This is just perfect. You have truly outdone yourself with creativity. Babies should be required to have this tatoo put on their little behinds at birth. It's the only way we can assure that we will all be safe. The rest of us will need to comply and get it done as quickly as possible. I can see drugstores and grocery stores having tatoo clinics to get this accomplished. I feel safer just thinking about all of this. Thanks FDA.

hlichten

Super Moderator
And...

I am sure that the FDA will agree that there is nothing unsafe about tattoos!

Perfectly safe, clean and hygienic!!!

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
JC - That would be awesome wouldn't it? You are a quick thinker. I can hardly wait to go to the tatoo parlor with these good ideas.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Last month I was hospitalized and receive a blood transfusion.

Wouldn't that be far more dangerous than receiving your own stem cells? It is however, FDA approved.