I had a Stem Cell Transplant for MS, in March 2000

sandiselvi

I am so happy to see this site exists. I have been telling my story for over 7 years now, and finally feel like I am being heard.
In March of 2000 I had a stem cell transplant at Scripps in San Diego. I was the second person to go through their program to see if they could stop the progression of MS. You can read my story on my website www.sandiselvi.com but for now I will give you the short version. I was diagnosed in 1996, symptoms since 1979. I had gone progressive in 1999. I used a cane to walk, had double vision, no bladder control with infections every three months, tremors in my hands, muscle spasms in my back and legs, and the left side of my face was numb. It was a far cry from 1995 when I was coaching soccer, head of my kids art docent program at school, getting ready to take my black belt test in Tae Kwan Do, and running my own painting business called 'Off the Wall Designs' (I painted murals). So, when the doctors approached me with the idea, "MS is your immune system killing you, so if we kill your immune system and build a new one you won't have the problems you currently have." I jumped in with both feet, a cane and my eyes closed tight.
Six months after my transplant, I was in bed feeling sorry for myself, when I jumped up and ran to the bathroom to check out something in the mirror. That was when I realized I had ran, run. I had not been able to do that for years. This was when I realized the transplant had worked. Almost one year to the day after my transplant, I began doing stand-up comedy. I listened to comedy the entire time I was going through my transplant and decided if I ever got better, I was going to try and make everyone in the world feel as good as I did while I was laughing.
I currently do not need a cane, I still have a slight bit of drop foot, but nothing like it used to be. My tremors are completely gone. I have full control of my bladder, in fact last week I had my first bladder infection in 7 years and I knew right away. And added bonus, I am no longer allergic to anything (I used to have a list of 63 things).
The doctors were correct; the stem cell transplant changed my immune system. By looking at me you would never guess that I have Multiple Sclerosis, nor ever had MS. But I do warn those interested in doing this. They did radiate my thyroid, which has played havoc on my eyes and weight. Things I have been able to fix. It also threw me into the far end of Menopause; I don't think anyone can fix that. But the hormones help.
When asked, if I had to do it all over again, would I? The answer I give: YES, in a heartbeat.

sp1d3rdan

Sandi,

I found your website a week ago and was intrigued by your recovery. I was hoping that you'd post on this site because your story is exactly what so many on this site are looking for. It is not a cure so to speak, but very close to it.

This is very rare in chronic illness and is exciting to hear about. Thanks for sharing.

sandiselvi

HI SANDISELVE MY NAME IS K.SEEVA AND A PROGRASIVE M.S SUFFER SINCE 1998. I AM VERYIMPRESED ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY AFTER YOUR STEMCELL TRANSPLANTATION AT SCRIPPS IN SAN DIEGO. IAM LIVING IN SYDNEY,AUSTRALIA. MY DR OR MY FAMILY DO NOT WANT ME TO GO TO MEXICO. SO I AM LOOKING FOR OTHER CLINIC IN THE USA. PLEASE HELP ME FIND OTHER CLINIC IN THE USA.ONE OF MY FRIEANDS TOLD ME THER IS A CLINIC IN IS BULUERDS,TEXAS,USA. I WILL BE VERY GRATEFUL TO YOU IF YOU COULD LET ME KNOW ABOUT THE CLINIC YOU HAD YOUR TREATMENT AND ONE IN TEXAS.PLEASE E.MAIL TO ME.
WITH MY BEST REGARDS
K.SEEVA
E.MAIL seeva@beagle.com.au

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Bulverde, Texas

Kandiah - You have misunderstood about Bulverde, Texas. This is the town where one of our members lives and the reference in the post was concerning that and not a clinic. I would also be very excited to hear about any ongoing trials in the U.S., so if anyone knows of one, please post for us. Keep in mind however, that a clinical trial doesn't guarantee you the treatment you want in most cases at the beginning of the trial. This is not always true, but for the most part it is. I find it hard to understand why there is still so much negativity towards legitimate clinics and hospitals in Mexico. Recently, my chiropractor's brother-in-law had stem cell therapy here in Colorado. It was experimental and he almost died from a staph infection he got at the hospital. This can happen anywhere and it is frightening that it is happening with increased frequency. I went to a nice facility in Mexico. My treatment took less than 30 minutes. I did have an extreme reaction and the doctor very capably took care of me. Investigate and you will find that there certainly are some facilities to stay away from. I would have to say this is true in any country including the U.S.

To Barbara

Hi Barbara Thank You For Your Infomations. The Recent Post By One Of The Member Sandiselvi Says That She Had Her Stemcell Transplant At Scripps In San Diego In March Of 2000. Could You Please Get The Details About This Clinic And Replyplase.
Sincerly
K.seeva:).

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Thank you!

Thank you for posting the info for Kandiah. I was hoping you would do that.

ladystewart

Stem Cell

Has anyone else heard of or know anything about a company 'Stem cell biotherapy'?? I am considering or should I not be?

Sharon

dxd 2002
Rebif, Novantrone, Tysabri, IVIg now (2007)--NOTHING CHANGES OR HELPS
mother had MS sooooo now I know from other side

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
lady stewart

Many people posting here have gone to Stem Cell Biotherapy for treatment including myself. If you're interested in that company I suggest you visit their website. Their link is at the tope of this page.

ladystewart

lady stewart

Many people posting here have gone to Stem Cell Biotherapy for treatment including myself. If you're interested in that company I suggest you visit their website. Their link is at the tope of this page.
I have visisted the link and I have an appoitment for a phone consult with one of their doctors. I guess I am insuring MYSELF that no one on this site has something 'bad' to say about them. Guess not---good thing??
Sharon

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
No negatives for me at SCB

Congratulations on making the first move by consulting with a stem cell doctor. You may want to check and compare other companies as well before you make your final decision. I have no negative problems with SCB where I got treatment except for a little disorganization from time to time. I think it has more to do with growing pains and I do see many improvements in their office. The location was the main factor in my final decision as I had narrowed it down to two companies that I felt were honest and reliable, SCB being one of them. I was really too ill to fly a great distance. As our forum grows and we get a worldwide audience, I am sure that we will be eagerly anticipating new locations. Many established companies already have plans for expansion to meet the growing needs of people seeking stem cell treatment. It is much needed because the closer you can get to home and the less travel you have to do when you are seriously ill, the better.