I am still looking for someone who as experience with stem cells via catheter

Kaci's Mom

I posted yesterday looking for members who have had experience with stem cells implanted via catheter. Now for some reason, I can't find it anywhere- so I'm asking again. Kaci is returning for more stem cells this summer. I would like to try a more direct approach. I know some of the forum members have done this- I just can't remember who. Send me a private message if you read this and you are one of these people- PLEASE.

Thank You!

Kristin

Catheter delivery of umbilical cord blood stem cells

We are heading down to Tijuana to have Dr. Ramirez deliver 7.5 million stem cells to Michael via a catheter up into the carotid artery on Monday March 23rd. If we get good results, I will be more than glad to let you know...
Dave Snow

Kaci's Mom

We are heading down to Tijuana to have Dr. Ramirez deliver 7.5 million stem cells to Michael via a catheter up into the carotid artery on Monday March 23rd. If we get good results, I will be more than glad to let you know...
Dave Snow
Great Dave- We're heading back there again too!!! Best of luck. I can't wait to hear the details.

Vaibhav

Hi

Hi. this is interesting. does it mean giving the stem cells close to the affected area of the brain? please help specify...

Thanks

Vaibhav

Catheterization

Using a catheter into the Carotid artery through the groin bypasses the heart and lungs and delivers the stem cells into the area just under the brain.

OwensMommy

catheterization

Hi Everyone, I have been stalking the posts and finally registered so now I can post! I have a 8 month old son with CP, we are looking at Dr. Ramirez and others, I would also like to know if catheter/lumbar works better than IV, as they say no infections, no cuts, etc for the IV so the stem cells don't migrate to the wrong place, but how do you get around that with a teething infant? Those of you who have used Dr. Ramirez, do you know if you are able to request one procedure over another. I suppose I just just call them directly....Thanks!
:D

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I want to thank you for joining the forum and asking your question on here. I think it is a great way for everyone to learn from each other before they make the big plunge to consult doctors and clinics. It also gives others ideas of questions to ask when they do call.

Kaci's Mom

Hi Everyone, I have been stalking the posts and finally registered so now I can post! I have a 8 month old son with CP, we are looking at Dr. Ramirez and others, I would also like to know if catheter/lumbar works better than IV, as they say no infections, no cuts, etc for the IV so the stem cells don't migrate to the wrong place, but how do you get around that with a teething infant? Those of you who have used Dr. Ramirez, do you know if you are able to request one procedure over another. I suppose I just just call them directly....Thanks!
:D
I DO know that catheter works better than IV as the cells go directly to the brain. The Drs have told me from SRI that really IS the way to go. As far as the "teething" thing, I think they are more worried about gum disease, but I can't say that for sure. I am taking my daughter Kaci there again this summer and would like to try the catheter delivery method for her this time- because although we DID see improvement with the IV method, it's true those cells migrate around the body if just injected into the blood stream.

I would think you would be able to choose which ever way you would like to have the stem cells delivered- unless they have concern of how young your son is. Yes, I would definately call.

3/23/09 Arterial Catheterization hUCBSC therapy

The stem cell transplant went very very well yesterday. Dr. Ramirez, Kevork and the team of doctors and nurses were excellent. No problems, no side effects noted. We are very pleased! Now we wait...:D

Kaci's Mom

The stem cell transplant went very very well yesterday. Dr. Ramirez, Kevork and the team of doctors and nurses were excellent. No problems, no side effects noted. We are very pleased! Now we wait...:D
Hey, that's FABULOUS!!! Where did they insert the catheter- the neck or groin? Good Luck guys!

Tami03

Hey everyone Ava had the lumbar puncture in Nov 08 and we are seeing some things that I have only seen in dreams. Baby steps but steps all the same, Weight bearing, tiny steps, her cognitive assessment is actually close to her age. Her wrists are ALOT more flexible and she is happier!!! She is more verbal in her sounds and her head control is SOOO much better. Lumbar puncture is like a spinal tap sending the stemcells DIRECTLY into the spinal fluid going to the brain. Best route outside of i being directly transplanted into the brain. Remember the blood brain barrier!!! Stemcells can't pass without a specific drug that has to open this barrier which can have risjs to infection. Injecting into the spinal fluid the cells are in the nautral environment to reach the brain. Call Dr Burton Feinerman at stemcell Regenmed this is the way I understood Ava's procedure.
Ava was the first to go to Peru with Dr F new company and she is the 2nd youngest so far for this company and Dr PAino was great.
Tami

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I love hearing about all the littlest Pioneers. It is really a special feeling to know how well they are all responding.

Lumbar Puncture

There are potential risks and potential benefits to each of these procedures.
I am not opposed to lumbar puncture but am cautious...

Potential side effects...
There is minor discomfort, but the test is usually tolerated quite well. Local anesthetic is usually injected before the spinal needle is inserted.

Despite the inordinate amount of anxiety that people often have towards LP, serious side effects are remarkably rare. The most common side effect is headache which occurs in about 40% of people and begins within 48 hours and resolves spontaneously in less than 5 days. It is typically better with lying flat and worse while standing. Other side effects that together occur in about 0.3% (1 in 330) of people include the following:

-prolonged headache lasting longer than 7 days (by far the most most common of the rare occurrences on this list)

-infection

-nerve root irritation, herniation or transecton

-injury to one of the nerves that exit directly from the head (known as cranial neuropathies)

-bleeding (in the head, spine or locally)

-low back pain

-movement of the brain downward if there is abnormally higher pressure in the head than in the spinal canal (known as uncal or tonsillar herniation, reversible tonsillar descent or spinal coning depending on which part moves; extremely rare but very serious)

-fainting

Where is it done?

LPs are most often done in hospitals or clinics.

The above quote taken from:
http://www.neurobc.com/Neurological_Tests/lumbar_puncture.htm

Kaci's Mom

Leaving to see Dr. Ramirez June 25th

It's almost that time again- Kaci's 2nd stem cell treatment is scheduled for June 29th. We kind of had to bribe her with a visit to Disneyland this time. I guess we might as well do something fun while we're there! Anyway, I'll you all an update when we get back.
Kristin

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Good to hear from you. Will Kaci be having the catheter method of infusion? I hope you have a great trip and she has a lot of fun at Disneyland. She certainly deserves it. I know everyone will be anxious to hear how it goes for her.

Kaci's Mom

Yes, catheter infusion. I'm still a bit nervous about it. I'd love to read about how the other kiddos are doing since their stem cell treatments -Caleb, Daryl Ann and Michael (hint hint).
Kristin

Michael - Post SCT March 23, 2009

Kristin,
Michael is doing well. He is much much stronger, physically and constitutionally. His energy level is excellent, his interest and ability to
not shut down under unfamiliar situations has improved greatly. He uses his right hand/arm much more than before. His Lite-Gait training has shown that
he wants to stand and walk a great deal and he is able to put more effort into it now. His eating abilities of more solid food has improved. During my wife's home schooling of him, she has noticed an increased interrest in activities. Alot of what might be considered little things to others have improved for Michael. We took him for a week of HBOT after weeks post SCT and that was a good time to enliven what the stem cells enhanced. We are headed to West Palm Beach tomorrow to the Bascom-Palmer Eye Institute to have them look at his eyes. His right retina is detached.
We wish you and Kaci a good time in San Diego, Anaheim and of course Tijuana. The doctors that Dr. Ramirez has around him are excellent.
Best Regards,
Dave