how does this work

Canyon711

Can someone give me a website or something that explains how this works simply. What cells does it work upon in the COPD patient. Does it rebuild alveloi which are destroyed? It would seem that would be the only way that it could work. I can understand it more in other diseases, i think. Any way you can direct me would be helpful. I just don't understand what it actually does.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
canyon

For COPD patients they use umbilcal cord stem cells which are then separated from the blood cells. These cells are then grown in a culture with special nutrients and growth factors to program them to become pulmonary stem cells. This culture method usually requires about three weeks in time.

I cannot speak for what every patient receives but I was given 150million pulmonary stem cells, 20million primary stem cells and a stem cell growth factor. This was then placed in an IV bag and infused (just like any other IV) with a needle inserted into my arm. The entire infusion took approximately 30minutes.

I can't say what it rebuilds in the lungs but I can tell you that my lung function has improved. It's only been 9 weeks and I was told it would take a least 3 months to show any major changes in my lung function.

kathy

Pioneer Member
Have any of you since treatment had lung exrays to see if it might also be shrinking the lungs as well? Since they do enlarge with this disease. I guess what I'm getting at does it replace dead cells and are these dead cells possibly shed off as waste? Sounds like the elasticity might be replaced if you can breath in and out better, could this be true?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
X-rays

Kathy - I feel like I have been X-rayed as much as I want to in a normal lifetime. However, I am going to wait until 6 months has passed before I visit my pulmonologist again and have any tests done. This will give the cells a good opportunity to have started the engraftment process. The doctor where I had the treatment done said that this all takes time and that we will continue to see improvements for quite some time. He said most people can get off of oxygen within 90 days to 2 years time, so you see this is no overnight cure. One of the other members got off of oxygen at 3 weeks, so no two people react the same. I think some of the other recipients may have already visited their doctors and perhaps they can tell us what they had done.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Kathy

I haven't had any testing done yet, but my doctor has scheduled me for testing in August because he is a curious as all of us to see what types of changes have occurred, but it is too soon to expect much change to show up on an xray or CT scan.

kathy

Pioneer Member
Thanks Barbara and Jeaninne for your responses. Barbara I know what you mean about enough x-rays for a life time.........geesh me too!! LOL