Hi! Question about Stem Cell Clinic and stem cells for autoimmune clotting problems!

Ziggy

Hello all,

My name is Zoi and I'm 23 years old.

In May 2006 I had a bout of optic neuritis and upon investigation was found to have severe iron deficiency anemia that was non-responsive to oral iron supplementation too... My neurologist thought I had MS and then coeliac disease, then lupus and when, a few months later (in early 2006), I landed in hospital with aseptic meningo-encephalitis I got a cns lupus diagnosis. Since 2006 I've had about 7-8 bouts of pleuritis, 4-5 bouts of pericarditis and nephritis because of this presumed lupus and nothing else. Nonetheless, in after my lupus diagnosis I had another bout of optic neuritis, followed by tonic clonic seizures, followed by recurrent and worsening Transient Ischemic Attacks within about 4-5 days. All this from February 2007 onwards. I was on tons and tons of iv steroids, high dose cytoxan and rituxan at the time (had been given the more traditional imuran and cellcept before). I was started on heparin, got tests and found out I have APS (or antiphospholipid syndrome), an autoimmune disorder like lupus which makes the blood more prone to clot (very, very roughly speaking). The TIAs stopped but the neuritis episodes progressed and in September of 2007 I had a complication of Antiphospholipid Syndrome called C-APS or catastrophic antiphospholipid syndrome which basically means that I clotted nearly everywhere simultaneously (we're talking 4 DVTs in my leg veins, pulmonary emboli, brain clots, superficial venous clots etc etc etc; I even kept clotting my iv lines as soon as the nurses put the ivs in). I received plasmapheresis with IVIG and a 24/7 intravenous heparin drip followed by cytoxan infusions and thankfully survived.

Since then I've had 4 DVTs, two bouts of mononeuritis multiplex due to small clots and a big and troublesome episode of hypothalamic imbalance due to a clot. This episode resulted in two months of hyperpyrexia that were absolutely horrible (we're talking about a temperature that at 8.01 pm was at 36 degrees celcius and at 8.02 shot up to 42 degrees celcius only to shoot down to 35.4 degrees celcius by 8.05, and I'm not exaggerating about this... It was one of the most exhausting, if not the single most exhausting, things I've ever lived through) and insane blood pressure and pulse ups and downs (again because of the hypothalamic imbalance). All this was accompanied by severe edema the cause of which no one could figure out until I got hormone testing and it was determined that because of this hypothalamic imbalance I have severe aldesterone hypersecretion too (the least of my problems and easily solved with meds yes I know, just thought I'd mention it!).

Now my problem and hence the reason for posting here is the following: I have severe visual problems from the recurrent neuritis problems (I am registered blind in Greece), I have numbness in my hands from the mononeuritis multiplex episodes and obviously have a disease that just will not calm down no matter what treatments we throw at it...

I weigh 61 kg and am on 10.000 Anti-XA of Fragmin (which is a 24 hour injection whose dose is weight-related normal dose being one's weight times 1, or one's weight times 1.5 for C-APS patients) not once but FOUR times a day (not to mention that if I forget a shot I'm immediately covered in livedo reticularis and big symptoms such as seizures return within a matter of hours) and 325 mg of aspirin. I've done all the usual immunossupressive and immunomodulating meds and nothing has worked and have only recently began looking into stem cells both as a way of reversing some of the damage that has already been done and as a possible "treatment" for what I have (not sure if the latter applies though). And by treatment I don't mean cure of course, I realize this can't be cured, but something that will bring this disorder under some form of control. I've found two clinics I've been looking into, namely Beike Biotech in China and Medra in the Dominican Republic and am not really sure what to do... I've been reading up as much as I can about the types of cells used, the procedures etc and I've talked to representatives from both clinics but they both said they've never treated anyone with APS before and so I was wondering if anyone here with the same or any similar disorder has ever had stem cell treatment anywhere and has any comments or ideas (or for that matter if anyone here with a dissimilar condition has any ideas or comments or....) about treatments, the clinics I've found etc etc...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :)

Zoi

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Wow Ziggy, At age 23 you are a multiple survivor. Incredible what you have gone through. At least the 2 clinics you have approached have been honest and said they had never treated your condition. I don't know that any stem cell clinic has. It may be that you just need to find a doctor that is willing to take you on; one you personally find to be honest, caring and ready to give you everything in his or her experience to help you. I will be glad to give you more resources if you need them. Just let me know. I have been asked about Medra before and unfortunately even some doctors shudder when they talk about the treatment there. That is all I can say about the company. Apparently, the treatment there is highly experimental. There are some very smart doctors, researchers and PhD's that participate on this forum and I would also be willing to run this by them and see what they say if you would like.

Ziggy

Hello Barbara and thank you for your reply and for the very useful information! :)

I had no idea there were doctors and researchers on this forum; yes it would be absolutely brilliant if you could run it by them! Thank you for thinking of this.

I hope you are well! :)

Zoi

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Thanks to Dr. Payne for his reply

The only likely way to achieve remission in APS is for the patient involves "rebooting" the immune system, e.g., bone marrow depletion followed by an infusion of autologous hematopoietic CD34+ cells or BM ablation followed by a allogenic but matched infusion of cord stem cells. See abstracts below.

I realize this member is talking more about undoing physiological damage than effecting remission, but I tend to think any gains would be rapidly eroded by the unchecked APS. This could turn out to be the biological equivalent of the little boy at the dike -- plug one hole, two pop out.

Unless this member has money to burn, if it was me, I would not rush off to have stem cell therapy. Instead, the member should consider trying to qualify for a clinical stem cell study here or in Europe. Here is one that is recruiting right now:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00278616?term=Antiphospholipid+syndrome&rank=4

I hope this proves helpful.

Ciao for now,

Dr. Anthony G. Payne
Anthony G. Payne, Ph.D.
Biological Theoretician & Senior Science Writer
Weller Health Institute & Laboratory
3103 South El Camino Real
San Clemente, CA. 92673
Office: (949) 542-3070, Home office: (949)498-8074

Also: Patient Educator-Liaison for Nepsis Institute (Mexico)

Last edited:

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Thanks to Dr. Young for his reply. He also sent two pdf's as mentioned. I can forward those to anyone that requests them from me. Make sure to give me your e-mail address when requesting them. You may e-mail me from the member's list.

Dear Zoi,

You sound like you have a genetic form of systemic lupus erythametosus (SLE), as do I. In addition to SLE I have Hashimoto's disease (hypothyroidism), Raynaud's syndrome ("allergic" response to cold weather), Celiac disease (allergy to wheat, oats, barley, and rye), an allergy to ALL forms of dairy products, an allergy to shellfish, an alergy to artificial sweetners, an allergy to monosodium glutamate, an allergy to all spices except salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, and chili pepper. An allergy to sunshine, An allergy to most soaps and shampoos except those made with shea butter or aloe vera. An allergy to perfumes. An allergy to tobacco smoke. An allergy to caffeine. An allergy to all synthetic materials (I can only wear cotton or natural silk next to my skin. And allergies to pollens, grasses, mold, mildew, etc.., just to name the big ones. I have given up a lot just to survive.

By way of a treatment, you need gene therapy using an allogeneic transplant of (pluripotent stem) cells from someone of the same gender that does not have your disorder. When I proposed this to our (USA) FDA - they disapproved of my idea until I could show them that autologous pluripotent stem cells work to cure disease states. I currently take Cell Advance as a holding action to repair the damage that has already been done. But it is only a holding action. My current method of treatment is as follows:

1) reduce your stress levels as much as possible, meditate, try bio-feedback, find a "mental" place where you can go when the going gets rough
2) tamper your immune system, but do not kill it - I take fexafenadine as a histamine blocker, singulair as an anti-leukotriene blocker, and aspirin as a general cyclo-oxigenase-I / cyclo-oxigenase-II inhibitor (also acts as an anti-coagulant - I take the enteric-coated version to descrease stomach upset: 81 mg baby aspirin for 1-2 capsules, 325 mg enteric coated aspirin for 35 capsules and 500 mg enteric coated aspirin for 6-8 capsules). I would probably also recommend taking Plavix in addition to the aspirin.
3) Reduce any potential to initiate an inflammatory response, i,e, simple bruising, cough, colds, a cut, allergic reaction to something, etc., or allergic reaction (see above). I have fallen on my back several times and am paying dearly for it - my nerve rootlets are being tethered by scar tissue to the intervertebral foramina as they leave the vertev-bral column. hat has led to numbnes and tingling in both my hands and feet.
4) I take Cell Advance to increase the number of circulating pluripotent stem cells in my peripheral vasculature - they track to sites of damage and heal the damage. I started with one capsule per day for 28 days taken with water on an empty stomach; after 28 days I moved up to two capsules a day for 28 days taken with water on an empty stomach; after 28 days I moved uo to 3 capsules of cell advance a day for 28 days (I am on day 6 of this 28 day cycle); after 28 days move to four capsules a day; after 28 days move to 5 capsules a day; after 28 days move to 6 capsules a day; after 28 days move to 7 capsules a day; and after 28 days move to 8 casules a day - so it will take you about 8 months to move up to the maximal dosage of cell advance. Then stay at that dosage.

Usually names with "itis"n the suffix means an infection of some sort. I might suggest that your physician treat you with an antibiotic to get rid of any bacterial infection. However, anti-biotics will kill all of your bacteria, both good and bad. To counteract the killing of the good bacteria I would suggest eating yogurt, Dan-Active, acidophilus milk, or probiotics. The "good" bacteria actually serete toxins that kill the bad bacteria and are actually more potent than most of the common antibiotics for treating bacerial infections.

For viral infections - plenty of vitamin-C (you know when your are getting too much when you have runny bowel movements), Zinc lozenges, plenty of no-caffeinated, non-alcoholic beverages, home-made chicken soup, fresh pineapple, blueberries, dark grape juice.

I am sending two PDF files that discuss the attributes of pluripotent stem cells. However, ultimately it is your choice to fight or give to up. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease when I was 4 years old, I am now 59.. And I am the rare 10% of the population that happens to be male rather than 90% of the population that is female with these disorders.

If you have any further questions, just ask. I will try to answer as best I can.

Dr. Young

Henry E. Young, Ph.D.
Professor of Anatomy, Division of Basic Medical Sciences

Mercer University School of Medicine

Director, Adult Stem Cell Research Laboratory

Law School 3rd Floor Medical Research Laboratory,
1021 Georgia Ave., Macon, GA 31207