Hello, I am new! Alisha

AStern

Hi Everyone -
I am new to this forum and from the Boston area. I founded a non-profit (Fibrolamellar Cancer Foundation) focused on finding a cure for a rare form of liver cancer. What makes this disease frustrating is the nature of the disease in that it strikes young people and treatment options are limited. We have some research findings identifying variants of the disease but still trying to find ways to treat this form of cancer as it is fibrotic in nature and chemo treatment often has limited results. I am interested to learn more about regenerative medicine especially because the liver regenerates and if somehow stem cells and regenerative medicine can prove to be useful in fighting this disease. I am currently a student in the Boston area and recently started working with a start-up company called ORIG3N which is trying to find ways of making cellular health information accessible to individuals.
For me personally I am interested in the use of stem cells and how they could help me in the future but trying to determine if others are interested that haven't had to fight a deadly disease - maybe from a more wellness and preventative perspective. If anyone on the board has any feedback on liver cancer, specifically fibrolamellar hepatocelluar carcinoma or would be willing to help provide some feedback through a survey that would be awesome and hugely appreciated.

If you are up for the taking the survey I posted it in the general discussion board and it should take about 5 minutes but would be really useful in understanding how to better make a service with having to do with stem cells available to individuals. The survey will take all of 5 minutes (it’s brief I promise!) but will be immensely useful and I would be very grateful. Also, please forward this survey on to anyone you know who may be willing to help me out as well.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to learning more from everyone here.

Alisha

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Welcome to the forum Alisha. I wasn't able to find a link for ORIG3N. Do you have one so we can learn more about what this company is doing as far as disseminating more information to those who are interested in stem cell research and therapies? Thank you.

AStern

Hi Barbara -
thanks for replying and reading my intro. Here is the link to the site if anyone is interested to read more --> not sure if I am including the right type of link so it is clickable http://www.orig3n.com/

http://www.orig3n.com/

Here is the survey I helped create to see what people think of using stem cells in a more personalized way since the research discoveries and new discoveries seem to be emerging more and more

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TFNTWLN

Alisha

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Thank you.

The website states, "ORIG3N is launching a new and unique cell storage bank & differentiation service. Our cell bank can be engaged as a private bio-repository or you can participate in one of our ongoing studies. As part of our current study we are currently recruiting individuals and foundations with a focus on neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and ALS. Please contact us to learn more about how we can coordinate a local sample collection drive with your foundation or organization to help further science research.

Once collected your cells can be stored privately for your own future use or you can participate in our open science initiative where your tissues can be used to help find therapies for treatment resistant diseases."

Can you tell us any more about this? It sounds like a noble and ambitious research program.