Healing Surgery with Patient's Own Stem Cells

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
BELLAIRE, Texas - A Houston-area hospital is using an innovative way to help patients heal quickly -- by using their own stem cells. A local patient cannot believe how quickly it helped her get over her pain and heal faster than ever. She says it is all thanks to surgeons at Foundation Surgical Hospital.

Not so long ago, Barbara Rogers felt down on her luck.

"It got to where I couldn't work without pain, couldn't move without pain. I did nothing without pain!," exclaims Rogers. She tried everything to heal the problem. Then, when she had to miss her toddler grandson's birthday party because the pain was so bad, she knew something had to be done. That is when she turned to surgery at Foundation Surgical Hospital.

"She had developed a deformity in her back. The level at the waistline had become arthritic and unstable and had fallen out of alignment, causing her severe back pain. There was pressure on the nerve which caused difficulty walking and being active," explains Dr. Christoph Meyer from Foundation Surgical Hospital.

Rogers became homebound, until she underwent a state-of-the art procedure. Dr. Meyer had extracted her own stem cells during her surgery.

"Almost everyone is very excited about the possibility when we tell them how we harvest the cells. Since they come from their own bodies, not from somebody else, they're very excited," says Dr. Meyer.

Doctors have known for several decades that stem cells help the healing process, but Dr. Meyer says there has been no technology to produce it, until now.

Once surgeons remove the stem cells from bone marrow, an automated system prepares the extracted cells in only thirty minutes. It purifies them and separates them from other cells, so that surgeons can re-inject them into the surgery site.

"In general, we see the patients healing faster and perhaps more robustly than they did with former techniques. Where it might be 3 to 6 months for someone previously, now that's probably cut in half in most people," says Dr. Meyer. It was only five weeks for Rogers.

Dr. Meyer says because the stem cells come from a patient's own body, there is no concern for tissue rejection or other problems. Also, they take the stem cells through the same incision site, so there is no extra bruising to the patient.

"It's turned out beautifully. I've had a 360-degree turn around," says a smiling Rogers. She goes on to say, "I have recouped more life and the quality of life is staggering - it's overwhelming!"

Rogers walked the second day after her surgery and now she is walking 6 miles each day! Her quality of life is back, and she says she has improved 110 percent.

On the Web:

Foundation Surgical Hospital -- http://foundationsurgicalhospital.com/

yorkere

Jeannine:

A very interesting item; my question would be how this hospital & doctor can get away with doing this if adult stem cell use is considered to be use of a "new" & unapproved drug?

I wonder if the FDA has issued a cease & desist demand to them yet...

Robert

Kaye

Robert

The biggest difference I noticed was the fact the the stem cells were not multiplied. Doctors can use our own stem cells, but if they multiply them then they are considered a "drug." The multiplying of cells was why the FDA issued an injunction against Dr. Centeno. I'm not well versed on the regulations at FDA, but I saw one doctor chime in on a story and said something about "if it altered a disease" then it was considered a drug. That is probably the loophole that cosmetic surgeons use. I know I'm not Jeannine, but I hope this helps. Maybe Jeannine or Barbara can clarify better.

Jane

Knee replacement surgery

I am now 3 weeks and 2 days post total knee replacement. I have surpassed everything that anyone expected on the healing of this surgery. After the procedure I asked the doctor when we were going to talk about the other knee. We have talked from time to time about Stem Cell use in growing cartilage. He said "you already have it". I know that he sprays the incision after the new knee is in place with Stem Cells to slow bleeding and enhance healing.

I was at the acute facility for three days then transferred to an Orthopedic wing of another facility. The doctors and nurses that came and went and viewed my incision were amazed at the healing. Almost no scar and no seepage at all. I did a follow up with the surgeon a week ago to have the staples removed and he was pleasantly surprised that my range of motion on pulling my foot back to my hip was at 111% and the knee laid flat on the table! I am now in an outpatient rehab program 2 days a week and walking well unassisted. I am 77 years old. Have had no pain meds since Sunday. They don't agree with me.

I am wishing that I had done this sooner rather than wait until so much pain in walking.

Now to find Stem Cells to heal my heart!

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Jane - Thank you for such a good news post! You would have been great to have had as a live model at the Age Management conference. There were some pretty incredible slide presentations yesterday, but you are living proof of how stem cells can heal.

pink7

Knee replacement

Great news Jane ! So glad this surgery went so well. Did they use your own stem cells?

yorkere

Knee Replacement Along with stem cells

What is the surgeon's name & location?

TIA!

Robert

Last edited: