Greetings from Iowa ;)

dsueck

Hello all!​

My name is Dean and I've spent the past 40 years as a professional computer consultant after earning my Comp. Sci. degree in 1984.

I've been married to a great woman for just about the same 40 years, 4 kiddos and 3 gkids.
But I'm really growing desperate.

I've woken up in 4 different ICU's in 2 different hospitals over the past 5 months with no idea how I got there or how many days, or weeks have gone by.

I started as a severe strain of pneumonia took 56% of my lung capacity in 2009. So at that time I was diagnosed with COPD, sleep apnea and asthma, none of which anyone in the previous 60 years has mentioned. To top it off, in order to receive SS disability I had to have my VA med records vetted by VA and be independent doctors. One of those doctors mentioned quickly on the way out the door in a very conversational tone of voice, "You realize don't you that you've had scoliosis." That just brushed by as I was half a step out of the office door.

SoI HAVE to find a way to mitigate the damage to my lungs and return to a basic baseline. And with very little $$$. I depend on my care by the VA and they're not exactly the most forward looking organization in the FedGov.

I've seen a couple references to:

" including a product called Stem Cell Advance which releases stem cells from my own body into my system."

Stem Cell Advance is actually a product that can be pruchased? Can someone give me some information on this please? Contact, pricing, website?

Thanks loads :)

Also, FYI, there's a VERY nice resource for stem cell research at:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/news/health_medicine/stem_cells/

It covers the latest and greatest stem cell research and has the past articles archived very well. For instance ... as hard as we thought our problems were, they're ever worse. Something like the liver or heart involve manipulating a single stem cell line. Unfortunately there are 5 stem cell lines involved in healing the lungs. 1 for bronchial tubes, one for alvioli, one for the blood system, one for the spongy material and forget the last one.

It's very nice and I've watched it for a long time. But it's about ALL stem cell organs, not just lungs.

There's also a COPD section: http://www.sciencedaily.com/news/health_medicine/copd/

And a section about lung disease: http://www.sciencedaily.com/news/health_medicine/lung_disease/

Hope this helps and waiting eagerly for replies :)

lol. ok. it's gigantic so I'll close it off now.

Thanks ;)

Dean

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Welcome to the forum.

The product you are referring to is now called Stemtrition:

http://www.seachangeforlife.com/Stemtrition_s/39.htm

Jeannine and I commissioned a study for the product and it does indeed help to release more stem cells. It's an excellent supplement. Having said that, I make it part of my wellness regimen, but I also do many other things to keep myself as healthy as possible. I also have had several bouts of pneumonia and bronchitis in the past. I started taking a drug called Daliresp which has helped me immensely as far as not getting severe respiratory ailments any more. You might also find out if acupuncture is available through the VA. That can be very helpful for lung disease.

If you are limited on funds, is there a possibility of doing any fundraising so you could get a stem cell treatment? Remember, it is still in the experimental stage and some patients respond better than others, but it could help you get some quality of life improvements that you sound as if you really need at this point.

Also, are you eating healthy foods? Do you avoid foods that cause inflammation such as dairy products?

Have you tried something such as the PowerLung? http://www.seachangeforlife.com/Power_Lung_p/j9pb8nfc.htm

Does the VA have any pulmonary rehab programs?

It takes work to stay healthy. You seem as though you have a positive attitude and that's part of the battle. The VA is using stem cell treatments, but right now, it is more for such things as wound healing. You might find out if they would cover experimental stem cell treatment in any way for you or if they have any plans in the near future to treat lung disease with stem cells. In some ways the VA is innovative and in other ways, I agree with you, that they are not the most forwarding looking agency in the federal government.

dsueck

Update

Thanks for the reply Barb.

I've ordered my first lot Stemtrition though I cant afford the power lung right now.

When I mention stem cells during one of my bouts at the Omaha VA Hospital, they roll their eyes and I get the "Oh gawd! THe patient is thinking again." Then they make like they don't know what a stem cell is. And that closes off any discussion of stem cell treatments. I can't even get them to pay for me to see my local hospital docs and that's supposed to be part of the new law the Congress passed for the VA. As it is I have to go for 3 hours to get to an appt.

Can you let me know how Stemtrition and Power Lung have helped you performance wise? Is there actually any proof that they're doing what the company claims they are doing? Hate to buy a pig in a poke but I'll at least try anything.

Thanks for your help!

Dean

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
That's abominable the way you are treated at the VA. I don't know where you live, but there are some clinical trials for valves that are recruiting. This has nothing to do with stem cells, but we share this type of information here as well.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT01812447?term=valve+and+lung&rank=8&show_locs=Y#locn

Jeannine recently participated in the RENEW study. I don't think there is any recruitment still going on for it however.

http://www.stemcellpioneers.com/showthread.php?8783-Update-on-my-results-from-the-RENEW-Study-for-Coils-at-Beth-Israel-Boston

If you would like to private message me your e-mail address, I can send you the 3 pdfs on the published study that was commissioned for the Stemtrition product.

PowerLung
Comparison Review: Comparing PowerLung with UltraBreathe, Expand-a-Lung, SportsBreather, PowerBreathe and Others
July 26, 2010 by Steven Kirchhof Better Health Innovations

PowerLung is an effective device that gives your lungs a workout and improves lung capacity, oxygen intake, shortness of breath, etc. We discussed how they work, benefits, and why PowerLung is superior to their competitors. This review gives an in-depth look at Powerlung vs. others on the market such as UltraBreathe, Expand-a-Lung, SportsBreather, PowerBreathe, etc.

PowerLung is completely different than the majority of these devices. The PowerLung works based on threshold resistance while most the competing units work based on restrictive resistance. The restrictive resistance models have shown to provide no benefit to the user, and can even cause negative effects. In addition, PowerLung works both your inhale and exhale muscles.
Restrictive Resistance

Breathing improvement devices such as SportsBreather (formerly “The Breather), UltraBreathe, and Expand-a-Lung use restrictive resistance.
We can keep this simple, because it really is: Imagine breathing through a straw, that’s all it is. These devices may look fancy because you can adjust the opening, but you could achieve the same effect by using different sized straws. In fact, the inventor of Expand-a-Lung said himself in Swimming Technique Magazine that “they take any pipe they can find, cap it, put a mouthpiece on it and put a pinhole through it… mine is no different…”.

In a study of COPD patients, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and the University of California found you may not get any benefit from these types of devices even if you increase the amount you use it and even it you decrease the size of the opening. This peer-reviewed study was conducted by Michael J. Belman, MD, and published in 1990.

So, for devices that use restrictive breathing, you can do it yourself free. it is called whistling. While you may be able to carry a nice tune, it will not improve your breathing function any more than these models will.

Threshold Resistance
PowerLung uses threshold resistance, which is similar to lifting weights. The weight creates resistance, forcing your muscles to work in order to move them. The more you lift weights, the stronger your muscles become. This is virtually identical to what you are doing with PowerLung, your breathing power is forcing the movement of the mechanism of the device. Independent studies have demonstrated the effectiveness of threshold resistance in improving breathing.

With threshold resistance, you are moving something with your muscles, not just blowing air.

There are other units on the market that use threshold resistance, like the PowerBreathe. However, unlike the PowerLung, these devices only work your inhale muscles. You may breath in and out of them, but when exhaling, there is no resistance. PowerLung works both the inhale and exhale muscles of your lungs, and the resistance may be easily set differently for each.

Other Considerations
Unlike others, PowerLung is made in the USA, comes with a DVD guide, and carrying case, and has toll free phone support. In addition, PowerLung is the only device on the market with independent testing that indicates a 25% increase in lung capacity and a 20% increase in respiratory power. Keep in mind that many other device manufacturers may site research studies, but in virtually all cases these studies were not independent and were performed by the manufacturer.

JC the Fox

My VA has been good for me

I go to the Cincinnati VAMC, and I have been treated as well as one could hope for. A few years ago, my local VA provider was not against stem cell therapy, but it was not recognized by the VA, and he could only do things within the VA guidelines. Nonetheless, he told me he had wished he had had his last child's cord blood saved. He was also impressed that my first stem cell therapy (in Las Vegas) had resulted in his hearing my lungs "move air" for the first time. He then worked with doctors at the University of Cincinnati to write up my results if the second therapy had proven equally successful (and consult with Dr. Young, as well.) To that end, he had arranged for me to have two lung function tests done in an 8 month period of time.

I had been assigned a pulmonologist because of my COPD. Late last year, he put me in touch with the coordinator of the clinical trial being conducted at the University of Cincinnati for the IBV Valve system for Spiration, Inc. To be included in this trial involves "passing" a series of requirements. The VA pulmonologist ordered a new pulmonary function test, then a chest CT scan, along with sending the necessary health records (hospital visits, medication..).

Today I was informed that my CT scan was good enough that I could be included in the trial if I pass the 6 minute walk test. Hopefully, I will meet with the coordinator and the participating UC doctors and have that test within the next 4 weeks.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
It seems care varies greatly from the VA. I just got off the phone with someone who have severe COPD who is having major issues with his new doctor at the VA. He's in Arizona. What he told me was very upsetting. Here in Colorado, the VA Hospital that is being built is so over budget that there are some calling for the whole project to be scrapped. All you veterans deserve the very best and it just isn't being delivered. Taxpayers are also getting hosed with all the costs that can be attributed to mismanagement of the agency.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/03/18/colorado-va-hospital-over-budget/24964551/

DENVER — The new Veterans Affairs hospital under construction in Aurora, Colo., is now expected to cost $1 billion more than budgeted.

In a briefing to Colorado's congressional delegation, VA Deputy Secretary Sloan Gibson said the new estimated cost for the medical facility will be $1.73 billion. The nine-building medical complex, which replaces the existing VA Medical Center in central Denver, is scheduled for completion in 2017.

"It took my breath away," said Rep. Ed Perlmutter, D-Colo., when he heard the estimate.

VA admits to 'unauthorized' wait list at Denver hospital http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/01/30/va-admits-unauthorized-waiting-list-denver-hospital/22585865/

Congress had set the spending cap for the replacement VA hospital at $880 million. It was not immediately clear what caused costs to balloon far beyond what Congress or the VA anticipated.

"It's going to be a tough sell before the Congress to come up with the money," said Rep. Mike Coffman, R-Colo., a combat veteran. Coffman added there's an "obligation" to finish the hospital "so we can give the kind of health care we've promised to the men and women who served this country."

The Aurora VA hospital project has been plagued by construction delays and cost overruns for years.

In December, hospital contractor Kiewit-Turner temporarily walked off the job after a judge found the Veterans Affairs Department to be in breach of contract. Building resumed just before Christmas under a temporary deal, which included the Army Corps of Engineers assuming control of construction management.

Sen. Michael Bennet, D-Colo., called the latest cost estimate "symbolic of the VA's mismanagement of this project, which has been unconscionable and an insult to our veterans and taxpayers."

Rep. Jeff Miller, R-Fla., chairman of the House Veterans' Affairs Committee, offered a list of "requirements" the VA must meet to gain his approval to finish construction. They include "purging those responsible for the problems in Denver from the VA payroll," and possibly "decreasing the scope of the project or selling it."

Perlmutter said he'd love to see the project scaled back to save costs, and he's open to options to do that. There just don't seem to be good options at this point in the construction.

"There may be a standalone facility or another that can be mothballed," Perlmutter said. "But the VA said to do that would increase the overall cost."

"At the end of the day, we simply can't leave a project half-finished," Coffman said. "So I am going to do everything possible to get it finished."

A news release from Coffman's office said he had introduced legislation to increase the $880 million cap on the hospital. The bill also calls for the firing of "the VA from further management of the project and formally installs the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to finish the hospital."

A Department of Veterans Affairs spokesman confirmed the $1.73 billion estimate, but he made no additional comments Tuesday night.