Going to the dentist

Kaci's Mom

Does ANYONE know whether or not it is safe to go visit the dentist for a checkup after having stem cells? I am assuming that x-rays are probably a BAD idea considering the area that was being focused on for treatment was the brain? I am also wondering about the stuff used for cleaning- if that would be toxic to the new cells as well? And, I'm sure no one knows this, but I'll ask anyway... since my child is still very young, she needs to use flouride suppliments- is this toxic to the stem cells?

Thanks!

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Kaci's Mom

I would hold off on doing anything non-essential for the first 4 months. However, I will add that I had x-rays, CT scans and an MRI the week after my treatment and I still saw improvements.

I doubt flouride supplements would be harmful but not using them for a month or two won't harm her either.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
These questions I think are something for our Ask the Nurse forum next month. I think everyone wants an excuse not to go to the dentist. Maybe it should be put off several years after therapy.( Note to those that are appalled. That was a joke.) I will submit the questions to Kirshner for next month as I think these are a couple of good things to ask.

Kaci's Mom

Well, I finally got an answer to my question about "going to the dentist". Dr. Ramirez said that it would be best for us to hold off on any "unnecessary" proceedures for 4-6 weeks.

shazza

Well, I finally got an answer to my question about "going to the dentist". Dr. Ramirez said that it would be best for us to hold off on any "unnecessary" proceedures for 4-6 weeks.
hi
im needing alot of major work done on my teeth in the next few months, how long before stemcell treatment is it ok to have any done?
sharon

Kaci's Mom

hi
im needing alot of major work done on my teeth in the next few months, how long before stemcell treatment is it ok to have any done?
sharon
THAT I don't know. I only had asked about AFTER, since my daughter had already had the transplant done- I'm sorry.
Kristin

shazza

hi

its ok,i'll ask about before, its just that its treatment that l cant put off, thanks to a bad dentist im needing alot of work done!

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Sharon - All major dental work that you describe should be done prior to stem cell treatment. It is after, not before, stem cell therapy that you need to avoid certain things including X-rays that could take place in a dental exam.

shazza

hi barbara

its work that might take a few months, you see alot of damage was done by this illness and by all the tablets l continue to take