Going to Hangzhou

RussK

Hi everyone,

I am leaving for Hangzhou March 13 for stem cll treatment. I understand the hospital beds there can be uncomfotrtable and am considering taking an air bed. Can anyone tell me what size their beds are - Full or Twin? Thanks

Russ

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I think every bed I have ever slept in in Asia was small and uncomfortable except for American hotels. It may be difficult to pack too much to take with you, but if you have something to make you more comfortable and will be in bed for an extended time period, I would suggest you lug it along. Resting is crucial to your getting well. Is there anyone at the hospital that you could contact prior to going? Of course even if you find someone, all of us have different ideas when it comes to mattress comfort. Can you elaborate a little more about what type of treatment you will be getting? Is it a series of treatments or just one? I would be very interested in learning more about it. Have they treated others with muscular dystrophy and with what degree of success? I wish you all the best. Please keep us informed.

RussK

Barbara,

Thanks for your response. I have been trying to locate someone at the hospital, but think I'll go back to my US contact to learn about the beds in Hangzhou.

Okay, my treatment protocol:

6 Stem Cell Injections. Any cells not used during surgery will be given via IV and/or a spinal transfusion. Along with each transfusion patients are also given a transfusion of Neural Growth Factors. Transfusions are given IV and/or via transfusion into the Cerebral Spinal

Type of Stem Cells: Umbilical Cord Stem Cells known as CD34+, CD133 and Mesenchymal stem cells.

No. of Stem Cells Used: 10 to 15 million stem cells per each transfusion. Along with each transfusion patients are also given a transfusion of Neural Growth Factors. Transfusions are given IV and/or via transfusion into the Cerebral Spinal Fluid.

Bone Marrow Transplant. This involves removing the patient's own bone marrow, culturing, expanding and purifying the stem cells from it and then transfusing it back into the patient.

Length of Stay: 35 days.

Treatment also includes

Rehabilitation program. This consists of a tailored mix of Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Acupuncture, Manipulation, ADL (Activities of Daily Life) education and Chinese massage.