give stemcells to ill patients

zar

The scientist behind the cloning of Dolly the Sheep is calling for stem cell treatment to be offered to people with terminal illnesses.
Professor Ian Wilmut told The Scotsman that the treatment, which had not been fully tested, could save lives or at least speed up the pace of research.

He said he knew patients prepared to take part in such trials.

"If we wait until things are totally tested and analysed in animals, it will deny some people treatment," he said.

'Slow decline'

Stem cells - the body's master cells - are able to grow indefinitely, producing "daughter" cells that can form different tissues.

The cells and their derivatives could enable the discovery of new drugs for the prevention of inherited diseases such as motor neurone disease and cancer.

In the longer term, scientists say, they could treat disorders such as liver disease, Parkinson's Disease, multiple sclerosis, diabetes and spinal cord injury by directly replacing damaged cells.

The head of the Institute of Human Genetics at Newcastle University, Professor John Burn, told BBC Radio Five Live that Prof Wilmut's suggestion could be popular among people suffering from serious diseases.

"If you've developed a treatment that might be beneficial in, say, motor neurone disease, then it's reasonable to allow people who are in the last stage of the disease to offer themselves.

"It sounds like they're being used as guinea pigs but sometimes people with a terminal illness volunteer to be used as guinea pigs if it will advance medical treatment for others," he said.

New funding

Professor Wilmut, appointed this month as the first director of Edinburgh University's new Centre for Regenerative Medicine, agreed that some patients would be keen to participate.

"I've come across people who have neuro-degenerative disease who face a steady, slow decline and premature death, a very unpleasant situation.

"Imagine you've got motor neurone disease and you've got no movement below your neck. You hear reports of benefits from stem cells in news reports, on the internet. That person would be very enthusiastic."

He said the benefits of using such treatments before they had been properly tested might outweigh the risks.

"If we wait until all the tests have been done, some patients will have passed away."

The new centre of which Prof Wilmut is head aims to use stem cell research to develop treatments for human diseases.

His appointment followed a ?50m award from the government to fund stem cell science over the next two years.

Source: BBC News Online

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Zar

Thanks for the posting. I couldn't agree more. The Professor is absolutely correct. My aunt died of cancer this year and she was willing to take part in a clinical study that might have helped her improve and extend her life. Ironically, she died the day she was due to start the clinical trial.

They send people home to die when they could at least attempt some last ditch efforts. So far I know of at least 10 people who have received stem cells (adult and umbilical cord) and all of them have seen improvements and none have died from it.

I have sent the Professor an email inviting him to visit our forum and see for himself that many are willing to try it and some already have.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Everyone should have access to stem cell therapy

Zar - You find some very interesting articles. I agree with this philosophy 100 percent. It almost seems criminal to withhold treatment with stem cells if a person elects to have the treatment. I had a conversation today with a very nice lady who couldn't understand why President Bush was against stem cell research. The facts are that the bill he vetoed was for embryonic stem cell research. If any of you in the U.S. get to talk with your representatives, especially the ones that just continually berate President Bush for vetoing that legislation, ask them why they aren't sponsoring legislation for adult stem cell therapy or umbilical cord stem cell therapy research, neither of which have any ethical complications. Perhaps, it's in the works. If it is, there is nothing being said about it to my knowledge. I still say the whole situation now is political posturing and big drug money. I already am cutting down on my medications. Multiply this by millions of people who get well and you have lost profits for the drug companies that like to keep us medicated day and night. Just my sounding off for the day, but I hate to see people lose their lives while uneducated politicos fight against the wrong thing. Thank heavens that treatment is available, unfortunately it is not covered by insurance and more than likely is not available in your home town. I refuse to give up my life while people who are well argue in Washington and elsewhere around the world the ethics of a treatment that they know nothing about.

TheBaron

Zar - You find some very interesting articles. I agree with this philosophy 100 percent. It almost seems criminal to withhold treatment with stem cells if a person elects to have the treatment. I had a conversation today with a very nice lady who couldn't understand why President Bush was against stem cell research. The facts are that the bill he vetoed was for embryonic stem cell research. If any of you in the U.S. get to talk with your representatives, especially the ones that just continually berate President Bush for vetoing that legislation, ask them why they aren't sponsoring legislation for adult stem cell therapy or umbilical cord stem cell therapy research, neither of which have any ethical complications. Perhaps, it's in the works. If it is, there is nothing being said about it to my knowledge. I still say the whole situation now is political posturing and big drug money. I already am cutting down on my medications. Multiply this by millions of people who get well and you have lost profits for the drug companies that like to keep us medicated day and night. Just my sounding off for the day, but I hate to see people lose their lives while uneducated politicos fight against the wrong thing. Thank heavens that treatment is available, unfortunately it is not covered by insurance and more than likely is not available in your home town. I refuse to give up my life while people who are well argue in Washington and elsewhere around the world the ethics of a treatment that they know nothing about.
hear hear! spot on - could not agree more!