FDA wants more funding. What a shock!

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
This article is a hoot. I am so comforted to know that the FDA may be able to provide guidance on development of my own stem cells before I have to submit them to the FDA for approval. I don't think Congress has a clue what is going on with the FDA declaring our own stem cells to be drugs. The rest of the article wasn't too encouraging either. Sounds like a lot of shuffling going on to me. All the more reason to get on board with ASCTA. www.safestemcells.org

By Lisa Richwine

WASHINGTON, May 21 (Reuters) - The acting head of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration defended the agency's request for more funding, including an increase in fees from industries the agency regulates.

Democrats debating the FDA's budget voiced concern annual increases in industry fees might compromise the agency's work.

"I understand the concern that people ... have expressed that user fees create a perception or a conflict of the agency's work," Acting FDA Commissioner Joshua Sharfstein told a U.S. House of Representatives appropriations subcommittee.

"I think these concerns reflect a broader lack of trust in the FDA."

To alleviate unease, the new FDA leadership under President Barack Obama must "renew the public's confidence by acting with integrity and transparency" and send "the signal inside and outside the agency that we will make decisions based on the best available scientific evidence and not on influence that's inappropriate."

For fiscal 2010, Obama has asked the Democratic-controlled Congress for an FDA budget of $3.2 billion, including $828 million in fees from manufacturers of medical and food products.

The fees include hundreds of millions of dollars drugmakers pay annually to help speed the review of new medicines.

Obama's budget plan also seeks new fees to help clear a backlog of generic drug applications and to reinspect food and medical product plants that fail to meet FDA standards.

Democratic Representative Maurice Hinchey said the growing percentage of fees from drugmakers "is something of great concern for a number of people on this committee."

Sharfstein, speaking to reporters, said he did not think the industry fees had risen too high.

Republicans, meanwhile, said it may be difficult to win authority from Congress to collect the new types of fees.

"Every administration rolls out user fees and yet rarely do user fees get beyond this (subcommittee) hearing," said Republican Representative Jack Kingston.

Sharfstein also said he wanted the FDA to be more proactive in encouraging development of new treatments.

"We want to help get drugs to people who need them. At the same time we want to reduce the safety concerns. Both parts of the equation are important to us," he said at a separate hearing before a Senate Appropriations subcommittee.

Stem cell research is one emerging field in which the FDA may be able to provide guidance on development before any products are submitted for approval, Sharfstein told reporters.

Sharfstein, the FDA's principal deputy commissioner, is serving as the agency's acting chief until Dr. Margaret Hamburg steps into the top job. Hamburg was confirmed by the Senate on Monday. Sharfstein expected her to be sworn in as FDA commissioner next week. (Reporting by Lisa Richwine; Editing by Andre Grenon)

Jim

Uh huh ....

" ... an increase in fees from industries the agency regulates."

Why is it that I'm NOT so shocked?

bayofsoul

This impacts globally

It is of real concern that the 2 major medical compliance agencies, the EC regulatory body and the FDA have a significant influence over the behaviors of many other smaller national bodies around the world. It is not because the likes of the FDA necessarily hold respect it is simply a matter of scale - the fact that so many drugs and devices are "tested" and approved for use by the likes of the FDA, that smaller countries use this process as a prerequisite for their own approvals.

It is for this reason that it is essential that support is given to the US voters, patients and researchers to ensure the FDA does not have control over our own stem cells. As with other pALS I cannot wait for biased bureaucracies to make decisions on my behalf, when research needs to be more closely associated with outcome driven practice - not something that is happening at the moment.

The FDA's association with the Pharmaceutical companies is blatantly apparent around the world - this has to be halted if we are to provide timely, affordable treatment therapies for so many conditions that have fallen off the radar for so long.
Mark

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Mark - Excellent post. I agree with you and that's is why I am putting so much effort into ASCTA www.safestemcells.org If we allow the FDA to get by with this, we have lost BIG TIME.

You make a good point about some diseases having fallen off the radar. I believe this will be more apparent than ever if the FDA gets its way. Clinicals will for the most part favor "popular" diseases. The people that are the most critically in need of treatment will not be included. They rarely are. If you post on ALS forums or any other forums or blogs, please spread the word.