FDA now says Botox may be harmful

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Congratulations are in order for NeoStem. I am posting this in the ASCTA forum for one reason. I find that it is very interesting that the FDA now thinks that Botox may be harmful. After all this time, say what? NeoStem believes that autologous stem cells will prove to be a safer advantage for those seeking facial rejuvenation. I couldn't agree with NeoStem more, but what about the FDA? How will they call this one? Personally, I will agree to having myself labeled with a warning, if that's all it takes to get autologous stem cell treatment legalized. According to most people that know me, I should already be wearing a warning label.

NeoStem Files Patent Application for Cosmetic Stem Cell Face Lift Technology and Expands Stem Cell Collection Network into New Jersey

NEW YORK, May 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- NeoStem, Inc. (NYSE Amex: NBS), which is pioneering the pre-disease collection, processing and long-term storage of adult stem cells for future medical need, has filed a patent application claiming the proprietary stem cell technology of Vincent C. Giampapa, M.D., F.A.C.S. relating to cosmetic facial rejuvenation, which NeoStem first licensed in February 2009.

The newest adult stem cell collection center in the NeoStem network, located at the Giampapa Institute for Anti-Aging Medical Therapy in Montclair, New Jersey, has received, from the state of New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services, a blood bank license for autologous peripheral blood stem cell collection. This allows the center to open and commence operations, and together with the patent application will serve to significantly advance NeoStem's leadership in the anti-aging and regenerative medicine arena.

Dr. Giampapa, director of the Giampapa Institute for Anti-Aging Medical Therapy, is a board-certified plastic reconstructive surgeon and Assistant Clinical Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey and is one of the first certified anti-aging medical physicians in the world. His research and technology comprise a non-surgical procedure for complete facial rejuvenation that involves injecting pluripotent cells, including stem cells, into the skin of individuals whose skin has lost its firmness and texture due to age. The pluripotent cells stimulate the growth of various cells in the skin, leading to the restoration of the skin's firmness and texture. The procedure can be accomplished under local anesthesia in an office setting and typically requires only a week of recovery time.

"NeoStem is very focused on acquiring technologies related to stem cell therapies," stated Robin Smith, M.D., MBA, NeoStem's Chief Executive Officer. "We are especially delighted to strengthen our relationship with Dr. Giampapa, as anti-aging technology is one of our key pursuits. Filing a patent for stem cell facial rejuvenation technology, while launching a new NeoStem collection center at the Giampapa Institute, creates a particularly advantageous situation for NeoStem. Just last week, the Food and Drug Administration announced that Botox and similar anti-wrinkle drugs must now carry "black box" warning labels explaining the potential of these materials to spread from the injection site to distant parts of the body, creating possible problems with swallowing or breathing. People worldwide can be expected to seek safer alternatives and NeoStem believes that the use of autologous stem cell procedures ("Your Cells for Your Use") may in fact be that effective, safe and non-invasive alternative."

About NeoStem, Inc.

NeoStem is developing a network of adult stem cell collection centers that are focused on enabling people to donate and store their own (autologous) stem cells when they are young and healthy for their personal use in times of future medical need. The Company has also entered into research and development through the acquisition of a worldwide exclusive license to technology to identify and isolate VSELs (very small embryonic-like stem cells), which have been shown to have several physical characteristics that are generally found in embryonic stem cells. The Company is also pursuing other technologies to advance it position in the field of stem cell tissue regeneration.

Last edited: