Expanding Stem Cells (cartilage)

zar

ne of the most successful therapies is cell transplantation which involves removing a patient's own mature cartilage cells known as chondrocytes and growing them in vitro using tissue culture techniques. Once the cells have multiplied the patient must then undergo a second surgical procedure for implanting them into the knee. The implanted chondrocytes will then help to produce healthy cartilage.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070419101148.htm

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Regenerative Sciences, Inc.

The other day I mentioned a new clinic in Colorado that is using stem cells to treat orthopedic problems. This clinic is Regenerative Sciences, Inc. I called the clinic and spoke to a very nice nurse. She said that they are only using autologous cells (cells that are collected from an individual and given back to that same individual) at the clinic. Stem cells cannot cross state lines once they are extracted, so patients must come to Colorado. They do hope to train other doctors in other states so that this will no longer be necessary. Most people that come to the clinic have their marrow drawn and then return home. The process takes about 3 weeks as the cells are cultured. The person then returns and has the stem cell treatment for whatever ails them. A blown knee is the most difficult she said and requires a 5-6 day stay after the treatment. Most other orthopedic treatments would require 2-3 days and some types of hip treatment can be taken care of in only one day. The cost averages $5000.00 for treatment per damaged area. However, for two blown knees, it would run around $7500. Most insurance does not cover it at this time. The doctor who has come up with this therapy is also working on a stem cell technique for spinal cord injuries. This treatment is not yet available. Their website is good. I did tell the nurse that I would love to be able to e-mail her with any questions from forum members and she said that would be fine. If anyone has any questions, please send them to my e-mail. Having this clinic doing this kind of treatment in the U.S. presents some interesting possibilities. It also is a little flicker of hope that someday stem cell therapy may be available in the U.S. and other countries for more than just a few isolated health problems.