Even Mismatched Cord Blood Can Help Kids

zar

FRIDAY, Feb. 13 (HealthDay News) -- An umbilical cord blood transplant from an unrelated or unmatched donor can still help children with deadly conditions such as cancer and sickle cell anemia, Duke University Medical Center researchers report.

They noted that unrelated cord blood may be easier to obtain than adult bone marrow, which means more patients would be able to receive treatment

http://www.hon.ch/News/HSN/624061.html

zar

Tami03,
I dont understand your post?
Am I right, that you think ,this treatment will only be used for a chosen few?.

Tami03

no using donated umbilical cord stem cells are blank and can be for EVERYONE. There is no need to 'match' people to them. There is no blood involved and that is the only thing that needs to be a match. Therefore stemcells don't have to match anyone's blood type. They also don't have to come from a particular sex either.

Tami03

Are you asking about if people have to match stemcells. I know I have been asked if that was a criteria for the cells. And I was saying that it is not a necessity to match cells like people do for bone marrow. even though bone marrow and umbilical cord cells are similiar.

Kaci's Mom

Tami-
I believe Zar was talking about mis-matched cord BLOOD. The stem cells you are refering to have been SEPARATED from the blood, which YES they can be used for anyone. We wouldn't put stem cells with the blood still with it into our kids. People with leukemia and other diseases of the blood can YES sometimes use mis-matched cord blood rather than bone marrow stem cells because the HLA typing only needs to match 4 out of 6 genetic markers as opposed to bone marrow that must match 6 out of 6 genetic markers.

Tami03

Understand now thanks. I know that the question has come up with the stemcell treatment for no blood related conditions, but I have not researched anything about stemcell treatment for blood related conditions.

Vaibhav

Cord Blood

I think the potency of the stem cell is diminished by the process which makes it usable on others. Isn't that correct?

Kaci's Mom

I think the potency of the stem cell is diminished by the process which makes it usable on others. Isn't that correct?
I don't think it's the potency that changes in the stem cells when they are separated from the blood matter- you just can't mix blood types together which is why when the blood is taken away from the stem cell they can be used for anyone. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

hlichten

Super Moderator
My understanding, from everything I have read and heard, is that there is still a chance of Graft vs Host Disease (i.e. rejection) even from just pure cord blood cells, with all the other blood components removed.

I was at a clinic awhile back preparing to get a cord cell treatment, and ended up declining treatment there, and left.

This was one of the main reasons that I decided not to have a treatment using cord blood cells.

The doctor there told me that they generally keep at least 3 different "batches" of cord blood cells at their clinic. What they do is to take a small amount of your blood, and combine it with the 3 (or more) cord blood cell samples. Then they leave the combination in test tubes for a day or so, and check them under a microscope. Whichever batch has the least cellular reaction going on of the 3 batches is the one that they use to inject into the patient! I found this to be a somewhat lame practice, and perhaps other clinics do it differently.

Perhaps there is a way to have zero risk of graft vs host disease, or perhaps there will be in the further evolution of cord blood-based treatments.

Graft vs host disease is a very nasty syndrome. Very basically, your blood cells are very upset, and are fighting it out with the "alien" cells.

I have heard some of the early folks who went to Mexico for treatment (such as Barbara) describe very bad reactions to cord-blood cell treatment.

One thing is for sure: stem cells and any blood components either come from your own blood or some cells in your body, or they come from someone else.

I have chosen to use only my own cells to this point.

Obviously, if a child or adult is dying of cancer or leukemia, you take whatever risks exist if a matched sibling or other donor can not be found.

Maybe a doctor will chime in to add to this and/or correct me?

Last edited:

Vaibhav

cord blood

I feel that they lose their potency since I have yet to find anything on the internet as great as the success of Chloe Levine, Dallas Hextell annd Ryan Schneider who were given their own cord blood and now have no signs of CP left.

Donated cord blood transplants have yet to come up with something that spectacular. I remember Dr. Wise Young also mentioning that one should insist that the donated cord blood should be from the same gender - to ensure there are no problems in the long run.I have that email with me since I wanted his advice on where to go for our CP affected son - Mexico to Dr. Ramirez or DOminican Republic to Dr. Rader.

We eventually did the treatment with Dr. Geeta Shroff in Delhi, India. will keep all CP moms & dads updated on our son's progress.

Kaci's Mom

Well I'll tell ya- I just met a mom yesterday who's little boy has CP and has been accepted to go to Duke University to receive his own umbilical cord stem cells May 26th! We have each others phone #'s ( kind of cool that we live in the same area) and I hope she will have some answers about that. I have also let her know about this forum and when I actually talk to her via phone, I will encourage her again to join us. Here is the article about them just so you will know who I'm talking about- www.democratherald.com/articles/2009/03/30/news/local/1aaa01_stem.txt.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
You bet we would love to hear from her. Thanks for this information. I am very interested in the posts from all the CP parents and how all of you are pioneering for a cure for them. There are a lot of stem cell trials going on in the U.S. It saddens me to think that so many children will not qualify or be able to be treated at all for the time being. Let's hope that all changes in the near future.