Empty Nose Syndrome

sp1d3rdan

I was hoping that people would post here about future treatments for Empty Nose Syndrome. This disease can be very debilitating as it robs a person of the ability to breathe normally.

www.emptynosesyndrome.org

I hope that people with ENS will benefit from Stem Cells but I do not know of anyone with ENS to have tried stem cell injections. For it to work on ENS patients I'm sure it would require multiple injections for the new tissue to grow.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I have never heard of this affliction. If you would like, I could ask the doctor where I had my treatment done, if he has had anyone with ENS that he has treated. You could also talk to him if you would like. The doctor where I had my treatment is very generous about talking with people. He is also very intelligent. I had umbilical cord stem therapy for COPD. No one thought that was possible at first either. I am doing very well which proves many people wrong in my estimation.

sp1d3rdan

Barbara,

That would be great if you could ask. I'd be surprised if anyone with ENS has been treated with stem cells. It is not a very common illness and no one on the ENS message board has attempted it.

Regardless, the hope is that stem cells could be used to regenerate some of the lost or damaged tissue in the nose. Interestingly enough many of the symptoms are very similar to those of COPD, although it is not the lungs but the nose that is the issue.

Best of luck to your recovery! I have the greatest empathy towards people suffering from a chronic illness. It is a daily struggle.

Last edited:

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Good news

According to my doctor, ENS is treatable with stem cell therapy. This is fantastic news in my book.

sp1d3rdan

Barbara,

I'd like to believe that this is true. I suspect it could be improved a bit but not cured.

The turbinate is about the size of a thumb and like a thumb once it is amputated it does not grow back. While I think that stem cells can improve the health of what is left I have my doubts that it will grow back the turbinate.

After all it would be like growing back your severed thumb. I think there is some hope in using stem cells in combination with extracellular matrix to bulk up what is left of the turbinate. That is my hope.