emphysema

mkahlon

Hello---my Name Is Mamoon,am 60,and Suffer From Severe Emphysema---not On Oxygen, But 50 Yds And I Am Out Ou Breath---sufferd A Heart Attack 1.5 Yrs Ago, But Still Have A Positive Attitude Despite It All. Have Been In Touch With Don Margolis Site And Would Like To Know If Anyone Else Has, And If So, What Are Their Opinions. My Regular Pulmo Doctors Almost Seem Anxious To Put Me On A Lung Transplant List. Stem Cell Gives Me Hope That Their Are Other Options. According To What I Have Read The Carribean Or Latin American Clinics Are The Most Reliable?--your Opinions Or Ideas Would Be Appreciated--thank You

Jim

Copd

Welcome! I recently went through that site and was referred to Dr. Fernandez-Vina, with whom I am currently scheduled for treatment on July 24. My guess is that you'll get the same referral. I've done some research on the doctor and I'm comfortable with my decision. If you scout around the board, you'll find that there are several options available for treatment. Do your homework and make the decision that's most comfortable for you.

There are quite a few of us on here with COPD, so "welcome to the club!"

- Jim

mkahlon

Thanks Jim----i Have A Choice Of The Carribean At A Cost Of $65000 Or $18000 Somewhere In Latin America----why The Discrepency? And May I Ask What They Are Charging You And Where Are You Going To Be Doing The Treatment?---thanks Mamoon

Jim

I chose Column B

Thanks Jim----i Have A Choice Of The Carribean At A Cost Of $65000 Or $18000 Somewhere In Latin America----why The Discrepency? And May I Ask What They Are Charging You And Where Are You Going To Be Doing The Treatment?---thanks Mamoon
Dr. Fernandez-Vina is the $18,000 one. His regular practice is in Buenos Aires but he treats his U.S. patients in San Salvador, which I think is absolutely fantastic ... it saves a lot of time in the air (and, of course, airfare).

The one in the Dominican Republic is Dr. Grekos, who also has a good reputation. The last I heard, his treatment was $56,000 so it appears the price went up. The reason that he's higher is that his cell delivery is through catheterization, which I'm assuming is more efficient (who knows? It just sounds logical, I guess). But it requires specialized equipment and much more devoted medical time for the doctor plus assistants. On the other hand, CBS recently had a piece on the dangers of the cath procedure, namely a punctured artery. It's rare but it's often fatal. Their finding was that survival hinged on having an emergency cardiac team available and ready to go. I doubt that's the case with Dr. Grekos. Nevertheless, keep in mind that this kind of accident is pretty rare. But this is all stuff to consider. In any event, I'm comfortable with my decision and I'm looking forward to my treatment.

Here's the link for the CBS piece (they refer to angioplasty, which is performed using catheterization):

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/06/08/eveningnews/main5072841.shtml

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Mamoon - Don Margolis' site is a referral site, rather like an infomercial. He is paid for his services. I feel that most of the doctors on his site are good, however, I do not agree on all of them. The price discrepancy can only be accounted for, in my opinion, by profit mostly and not hard costs. Do your homework. Don't get antsy and think you have to grab at the first thing that comes along. That is always a big mistake. Find out what kind of stem cells will be given and what type of extraction and manipulation will be done to them. Consider the travel if that is important. I will send you a list of resources by private message and I would suggest you write down a set of questions and then call and talk to the doctors yourself and see what you are comfortable with. I would try to avoid sales people as they sometimes are not really as up front as they should be. Some people, quite frankly, do not get good results after one treatment. Therefore, you need to think about what would happen if you were one of these people and needed additional treatment. Every day seems to bring some good news as well. What may have been relevant yesterday (witness the failure of the Osiris trial and the use of mesenchymal cells as the main factor) may no longer be what researchers are working on today.

Jimmarshall

listen to Barbara

Mamoon,
You really should take Barbara's message to heart. I went crazy when I first found this site,determined to have stem cells before the end of the week.
However, once you calm down and do your homework, you may see things more clearly.
Everything right now is experimental. There are no guarantees and progress in this area is being made rather quickly. My advice is to learn everything that you can about the procedures,costs, and so forth.
There are plenty of folks ready to take your money,so make certain that you research all this as much as possible.
this is one case where "haste makes waste" !!

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
"The one in the Dominican Republic is Dr. Grekos, who also has a good reputation. The last I heard, his treatment was $56,000 so it appears the price went up. The reason that he's higher is that his cell delivery is through catheterization, which I'm assuming is more efficient (who knows? It just sounds logical, I guess). But it requires specialized equipment and much more devoted medical time for the doctor plus assistants."

I agree that the catheter infusion may add to the cost, but I do not agree that it adds thousands and thousands of dollars. As this method gains popularity, costs will come down. I guarantee it. Other clinics are beginning to seriously consider integrating this method into their treatments for lung patients as well as cardiac. Give it a couple of months and you will see.

Judy3

I'm not sure but I think Dr. Grekos has also added a Bone marrow extraction and I had 5 MD's on hand when I went to the Dominican. One was Dr. Grekos and I think he is still flying down there every Tuesday to make sure everything goes as well as can be. I have had a multidude of tests, both before and after which was enclosed in the price, If you can afford it, for cardiac patients, it is a no brainer. STEM CELLS WILL GROW HEART MUSCLE.
I have Pulmonary fibrosis and did get a 20% inceease in my lung defussion. My regular Pulmonary Dr. which I saw yesterday was pleased. I would do it all over again. I thot about the Argentina trip but decided to go with DR. Grekos. because of his testing)
You need to read all the posts on here concerning ur condition and do research.

Judy3