Emphysema Drug Trial

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Retinoic Acid?

Thanks for posting this. I believe this may be the same type of trial that has been going on for several years. It uses retinoic acid and of the few people that I have communicated with that were in the trials, they said it greatly improved them, but after the trial, they were no longer able to get the supplements and eventually the disease continued to progress. The stem cell doctor where I had treatment hoped that those of us that got stem cells for COPD could get some retinoic acid to complement our treatment, but it is not available. Taking large doses of Vitamin A can be harmful, so it is not something that you would want to do with OTC Vitamin A. There is so much hope on the horizon, but as I said in an earlier post today, some of the trials are repeats of others and it is like a tortoise derby. By the way, I own five tortoises and they are all hibernating which they do for part of the year. For the other part of the year, they bask under their heat lamp, eat, have hanky panky and move VERY SLOWLY. That should clear up any doubts about what I meant when I said tortoise derby.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
It is encouraging that more work continues but these two paragraphs show me that it is taking far too long to approve this. Two years before you even learn if it worked? That seems a bit ridiculous to me to spend that much time trying to figure out whether or not it works.

He says he's feeling better than he did a month ago, but it'll be two years before he learns if the drug trial worked.

If it works doctors say it could be at least six years before the pill is approved.