Dr. Todd Malan returns from one-year research sabbatical

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Thank you to Dr. Malan for keeping us up to date! Welcome home Dr. Malan.

It has been an exciting year for advances in stem cell technology.
As many of you may know, I have just returned from a one-year research sabbatical.

18 months ago it appeared that the U.S. was becoming hopelessly outdated in fat derived stem cell technology and research. I am one of the pioneers of fat derived stem cell therapies in the world and was forced to watch in dismay, as Physicians in other countries were able to routinely use new technologies and techniques not available in the U.S. with truly incredibly results.

I decided to take some time to personally meet the worlds leading experts in stem cell and fat transfer and to share my experience at conferences worldwide. In addition I was able to work with leading medical centers in Europe and the Caribbean directly treating patients with protocols I developed as part of funded studies.

I am pleased to report that I am now back in the US and armed with many new tools and protocols, which have yielded such amazing results for my study patients.

Please forgive my enthusiasm as I try to tell you at least some of the incredibly experiences I have had.

I worked closely with experts such as Dr. Carlo Tremolada to develop applications for the latest Stem Cell Biogels. Basically your own fat is used to create a gel or paste that is mixed with high concentrations of your own stem cells. This allows the stem cells to directly attach to the surface of joints or other soft tissue defects such as skin, muscle, tendons, ligaments, and even nerves, blood vessels, and lymphatic’s. I have experienced in my own patients some truly incredible results in treating Orthopedic conditions, Neuropathies, Venous and Arterial Insufficiencies, Lymphedema and Lipedema, and even eye disorders.

Orthopedics: Over the years I have experienced success in relieving pain and disability associated with chronic arthritis and orthopedic injuries using the liquid preparations of adipose (fat) derived stem cells. Many leading researchers were however quick to point out that although the patients felt better, there was actually no evidence that we were truly re-growing back damaged tissue. The patients felt better but the MRI was unchanged. I wanted to truly have the ability to restore damaged tissue such as cartilage, tendons, and ligaments. The Biogel allows the stem cells to directly restore the damaged tissue in ways previously unimaginable. A patient who had previously had his meniscus removed was proven to have re-grown the meniscus in only 12 weeks. Patients I treated who had multiple prior surgeries on their joints, leaving them permanently disabled, were restored to full function and with MRI evidence of entirely new cartilage and bone surfaces. The Biogel acted as a scaffold to allow the stem cells to really regrow these complex 3 dimensional structures. Results through out Europe have verified the incredible finding in my own patients.

Neuropathies: I was able to successfully use the Biogel in multiple occasions to regrow nerves damaged by trauma and autoimmune disorders. I had the great joy of treating a friend and colleague who was one of the doctors who first developed In Vito Fertilization. He had suffered from a progressive neuropathy that affected his legs, bladder, and bowels. All of which were restored in 16 short weeks. What an incredible experience to give back so much to a man whose work has blessed so many couples.

Venous and Arterial Insufficiencies: Liquid adipose stem cells injected into the blood have been very effective at restoring blood flow in areas were blood vessels have been blocked by clot or plaque. However, re-growing large blood vessels damaged by trauma is beyond the capability of the liquid stem cells. The Biogel however can also create the scaffold and hold the stem cells in place allowing for true restoration of blood flow.

Lymphatic Problems: The lymphatics are incredibly important in maintaining proper health and immune function. Unfortunately surgery such as liposuction, cancer therapy, and orthopedics surgery can damage the fragile lymphatics vessels. Conditions such as Lipedema and Dercum’s Disease are directly the result of faulty lymphatics. With the Biogel, I was able to treat a variety of lymphatic disorders successfully and in ways not previously available in the US. I had the great pleasure of presenting these cases at a Lipedema and Dercum’s Disease conference in Australia in October.

Eye Disorders: This was one of my proudest moments. I personally developed the technique for using the Biogel to treat eye disorders such as corneal scarring, wet and dry macular degeneration, and optic nerve atrophy. To be able to develop these techniques and to have reported these finding to other doctors, thus allowing potentially countless patients to regain their vision, has been a truly blessed experience.

Fat Transfer: This is one of the skills that I am best known for and one in which I did not think much improvement was needed. However in working with the Biogel, I discovered that not only was I able to improve fat survival but to dramatically improve the collagen, connective tissue, and blood flow to the skin allowing incredible cosmetic improvement in skin texture, color, and elasticity. I had the honor of treating some of the worlds most recognizable faces with this new Biogel and being able to hear critics discuss how youthful and natural their appearance was, never guessing that it was the results of surgery.

I have many other exciting developments and patient stories I will share later but I will leave you now with the exciting news that I am now able to offer this Biogel technology here in the US at my Scottsdale, Arizona office.

I am very thankful to those wonderful physicians and researchers who hosted me during my travels as well as my family for supporting my journey.

Its great to be back!!

Todd K. Malan, M.D.
Chief Cell Therapy Officer
Center for Regenerative Cell Medicine
7425 E. Shea Blvd., Suite 107
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
t 480-998-7999 | c 480-287-0004
www.MyStemCellTherapy.com