Dr Steenblock and Dr Ramirez

GoMoxie

Can anyone give us any insight on what is currently going on with Dr Steenblock and Dr Ramirez?
I seem to understand that they have parted ways, but that leaves the question - who is now coordinating trips to Dr Ramirez, or can we go directly to him in Mexico? And if he has cut ties with Dr Steenblock, who is he getting his stem cells from on the US side?

And who is Dr Steenblock now sending his patients to in Mexico?

I am currently trying to decide between Panama and Mexico for stem cells for our 3 year old daughter with cp. Currently I feel very confident in the doctors and protocols in Panama, their track record looks very good and they've been doing it for a long time. Plus I have personally corresponded with a number of families who have traveled there and had good results.
But of course, it's quite an investment in travel expenses and time off work. If we could be assured of comparable efficacy and safety close by (in Mexico) it would be much easier, we'd just have to be assured that they are following the safety standards and protocols set up by the ICMS.
I have been very impressed with what I've read about Dr Ramirez, I just need to know more about the details of the actual procedure.

If anyone has gone to any of these clinics or is planning to I would love to hear from you. Any insight anyone can give on any of the clinics/doctors/etc would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
Margo

LLL6521

Dr. Lacroix in California is now the liason

Dr. Steenblock and Dr. Ramirez did part their ways. It was Dr. Steenblock's decision, because from what I am hearing, the cost for treatments was to high for Dr. Steenblock's to pay. Dr. Steenblock's assistant, Dr. Lacroix was not happy with the decision, so he kept his relation with Dr. Ramirez. Also Susan, an assistant of Dr. Steenblock was dismissed, so Dr. Lacroix and Susan have their own practice that takes patients to Dr. Ramirez for UCB treatments. The Biologist they work with is located in California called Dr. Mathi. All of the cord blood comes from the U.S., and Dr. Mathi expands the cells for treatment.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Dr. Braly is now working with Dr. Ramirez as well. There are so many "marriages and divorces" and "remarriages" in this industry, it sometimes seems more like a soap opera. I am sure money plays a big part.

You can contact ICMS to find out if a clinic/doctor is enrolled in the ICMS accreditation program or if they are members of ICMS. The only way to verify this is directly through ICMS. Never rely on the fox to guard the chickens.

LLL6521

Research and research again

I would consider both Dr. Lacroix and Dr. Braly. Weigh in all your options in making your decision. Ask where the cord blood comes from, and the credentials of the Biologist, or you may want to ask to speak to the Biologist personally. Ask how the cells are processed. Keep in mind, the most important thing in this entire procedure are the type, quality, and amount of stem cells infused in your child’s body. At the end, when you cross the border, Dr. Ramirez is just doing the I.V. procedure. It is the stem cells that make a difference.
Your best source of information is the internet – you can research many things in relations to stem cell treatments. You just need to weed out the garbage. It took me two years to find the right place. In my quest, I found lots of misguided information and sometimes good ones. It’s a jungle of information with stem cell treatments, full of greed, ignorant, and sometimes criminal. I’ve spoken to renown scientists from notable Universities that were wrong about the information they provided. You may want to speak to parents that have taken their child for treatments and not from website testimonials. The parents are the best resource. I don’t think Dr. Lacroix is a member of ICMS, but still consider him. I am not sure of Dr. Braly. However, as my own suggestion, consider both and weigh in your options.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
At the end of the day, it all boils down to how much you can trust the information you are given. LLL6521 took 2 years to research! Amazing and to be commended.

There is a point to the fact that Dr. Ramirez has been giving stem cell treatments for a long time. I would say the same for a few other doctors. Some may or may not be in the ICMS program as they were doing treatments before ICMS even came into existence. There is comfort in knowing that they have been doing treatments for longer than the new kids on the block as long as the research shows that they are not the center of any controversy involving safety of patients past or present.

Getting information from websites or testimonials just doesn't cut it. Find out all you can about the doctors, owners, biologists, etc. Don't be afraid to make phone calls, send e-mails or have a background check done.

If any part of the operation is done from the U.S., this opens up other avenues you can check. These sources can be used to find information pre decision as well even though the link is about post treatment help.

http://www.stemcellpioneers.com/showthread.php?t=5150&highlight=business+bureau

The only thing I would add to LLL6521's post is that the doctor who does the infusion is important. Things can go wrong and you want a competent doctor doing the procedure, even if it is just an IV. Even the flow rate of the IV can be important.

No matter how thoroughly you research, it still does not mean that stem cell therapy will produce the results you are hoping for. For those that want to try treatment however, it only makes good sense to do everything you can to find the best possible treatment and doctor.

GoMoxie

LLL and Barbara,

Thanks for all of the info. It's good to hear that although alliances have ended, Dr Ramirez seems to still be the doctor of choice to perform the actual procedure. I do have to do some more research and I also want to look more in depth into the biologist you mentioned.
A quick Google search has turned up a couple of websites for Dr Lacroix and Dr Ramirez, both are very simple and dont give too much information other than provide a form to contact and set up an appointment. Maybe they are still refining their web pages since they are no longer relying on Dr Steenblocks' (multiple) websites to provide their information.
The site for Dr Braly is very complete. It gives some very good information on the actual protocol (what takes place each day, and why specific sources of stem cells are used). I had not heard of Dr Braly before, it seems that he has a long history of research in alternative medicine as well as nutritional therapy to address illness and addiction. I do like that he offers supplemental therapies in conjunction with the stem cell treatment and also the 5 day schedule for stem cells on his site is similar to the protocol that was described to me by the clinic in Panama.
One thing that I have been wondering is how stem cell treatment in Mexico can be done in one short visit across the border when other clinics state that they take blood on day 1 and then give infusions over a 4 day period. Does Dr Ramirez's clinic give all 4 infusions at the same time? Do they not draw/test the blood on day 1 like the other clinics?
And does it really matter? So many testimonials state that they only spent 1 afternoon in Tijuana but still they cite some great results, so maybe the spreading out of the infusions is not critical.

Since Dr Ramirez has his own website now, could we just go directly to him? I mean, do we really need a Dr from the U.S. to coordinate our visit for legal reasons or is it just to help with the language barrier? (which is not a problem for us, my family speaks spanish and we have relatives in Mexico so we feel comfortable going down there.)
Would it be cheaper if we bypassed a US liaison and just made an appointment with Dr Ramirez? I guess I need to start making some calls and sending our daughter's info in so they can give me some feedback on how they would treat her.

Ah, it never ends. I can see now why LLL spent 2 years researching! Answered questions just lead to more questions. More doctors to research, more parent/personal stories to read. More emails to send/respond to.

Thanks again for your input. I welcome any additional info from anyone out there.

Margo

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Margo - There are different kinds of stem cell treatments. Some take one day, others take longer. Not all use the same kind of stem cells. There would be no blood draw for instance if the clinic was doing umbilical cord stem cell therapy or marrow extraction. There are many sites and some posts on this forum explaining the different kinds of stem cells used for human transplants.

Also, don't rely heavily on websites or testimonials. For those that cite "great results" there are a lot of patients who get no results, minimal results or in some cases become worse off than they were prior to treatment. While enthusiasm and hope are great to have, one must also be realistic as stem cell therapy is still in its infancy. I don't say this to discourage you, but too many people fall into the trap believing that stem cell treatment is a magic bullet for all kinds of conditions and diseases. Keep in mind too, that one treatment may not help substantially.

I know of no proof that spreading out the infusions helps in any way. At this point, those of us that choose to get stem cell treatment are all guinea pigs. It will takes years of research and data to answer the myriad of questions we all now have.

I did find a CV for Dr. Ramirez online and he indicated he was a member of ICMS in 2010. Again, check directly with the organization if you want to verify it.

As for going directly to him, you would need to contact him and see if he accepts patients that way or if he prefers to work with U.S. doctor partners.
Good luck!

LLL6521

Dr. Ramirez taking patients directly

Yes, I agree with Barb. She has the experience and integrity. We are both vigilant on clinics that seem to be okay, and those that are not. Dr. Ramirez is a gentlemen and professional. The clinic he works at is right across the border. Go to youtube, and you will see him doing a procedure. Also, do not consider the catheter up the femoral that does not prove to be any better than the I.V. procedure. There is no scientific data to support it, so opt out of it.

brooklyn03

Dr.Ramirez

Hello Margo.
I just want to let you know that I had the previlage of seeing Dr.Ramirez doing a 60 min segment out of New Zealand. I studied long and hard before I took my daughter Brooklyn to him. I had heard great things about him. On Feb
24th 2010 I took my daughter who at the time was in a wheelchair and was considered legally blind. Her vision was terrible, her balance was poor, she wore leg braces on her legs, she didnt eat solid foods, the list goes on and on. I promised myself if this Dr. ramirez was who they said he was and he could help my daughter, then I promised to dedicate myself to helping others know that this Dr. Ramirez was who he says he is and does what he says he does. I am proud to say........ My daughters vision has improved tremendous since we went to Mexico. Almost trippled in improvement. She no longer uses her wheelchair, and hasnt since she was home 5 weeks after her treatment. I used to talk to her. She wouldnt move look toward me...... Nothing, but now. I have a totally different child!!!!!! She doesnt wear her leg braces anymore and when i talk to her she understands me. I have taught her to give me a high 5, she gives me kisses when I ask, the list goes on and on!! I am so Blessed to have met and came in contact with Dr.Ramirez that not only did he change my childs life!!!! I see and help him with others EVERY day!!!!! I also travel with each patient meeting them at the airport going to the hotel together and then across the border the next morning for the treatment. It is truely a blessing and Dr. Ramirez is God sent! The video on You tube you see of him doing the proceedure is of my daughter Brooklyn. You can also see his full resume on his newest website You can also become our friend on Facebook to see some of his latest treatments Under Stem cellhelps Stemcells 4life or find me by Rachel Vandergriff.
No Dr.Ramirez and Dr.Steenblock do not work together anymore. This is per Dr.Ramirez decision. There has been alot going I can dicuss this with you else where. Hope this is helpful!
Rachel~ Brooklyn's Mother

brooklyn03

Ramirez

Yes. It is cheaper to go straight through Dr.Ramirez then to go through Dr.Braly at SSNA. You get charged for Dr.Bralys work when you never meet him he is located in Las Vegas. I met a woman he charged her 26,000.00 USD
was telling her about some Brooklyn kid that had progressed so well and using this story and he didnt even know Brooklyn just heard of her progress,but gave this lady the impression he had delt with the "Brooklyn Kid". The lady didnt know if he meant a kid from Brooklyn ,NY. Or named Brooklyn........ She was furious!! The treatment should not have at the most almost never unless a spinal injury case should the treatment be that much. She got an IV injection for her child which is 18,000.00 USD He charged her 26,000.00 USD.
So I am assuming from what Dr. Ramirez says. He profitted 8,000.00 USD from this family. I think this is wrong!! He is not the parent of a special needs child or someone very ill. So I guess he feels ok charging these families thousands extra!! He includes your hotel stay, but his clients stay Inside Tijuana, Mexico. Ours stay in San Diego. The hotel has a host van that takes us across and brings us back. Leaving 3x a day @ 7:00amPST 9:00amPST
and 11:00amPST you can watch a video on the home page of us getting into the van at the host hotel at
home page botom right in blue letters saying Host Hotel
Thank you,
Rachel~ Brooklyn's Mother......... 8 year old child. Cerebral Palsy diagnosis.
Not from the city Brooklyn, NY. :)

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Rachel - Do you work for Dr. Ramirez in a paid capacity? $18000 is a lot of money too unless most patients do not have to return. We really need more quality competition for clinics. The prices we are charged, in most cases, include a lot of profit. We are all being exploited as these treatments are highly experimental. We take the risks, they rake in the money. At least you seem happy with the results which helps ease the pain of the costs of treatment. I am glad your daughter is doing well.

brooklyn03

Ramirez stem cells

I do work for Dr.ramirez. I do get paid. Not on a patient to patient ratio. I do more work for him than that. So I get paid just as anyone at a normal day to day job would. Yes 18,000.00 is alot of money, but from all of the outstanding results I have seen it was well worth it!! Brooklyn has had 2 treatments though. I did see great results with both treatments!! Most people that I have seen benifit the most from these proceedures have had atleast 2 treatments.
When I first started studying stem cells I first thought I was going to have to travel to China. The treatment took about a month and a half plus travel expenses and the cost of the treatment was close to 60,000.000.
So finding a reputable dr. that did it for less than 20,000.00 was a blessing to me!!
I have seen so many miracles worked in this office in Tijuana. That I have told my mother....... If anything was to ever happen to me, I get sick cancer etc.... sale my car and everything I own and take me to ramirez for stem cells.
My mother was a non believer in stem cells. When we first heard of this she thought I was crazy!! However, she traveled with my daughter and I to our first trip to meet Dr.Ramirez and get brooklyn's first injection. She was amazed at the knowledge Dr. Ramirez had and has seen the amazing results in Brooklyn that now she is considering stem cell therapy for a number of conditions she has started noticing and the doctors in the US just cant seem to figure out what is going on. thay have been trying for almost a year now, but still cant come up with a diagnosis. She will be traveling with me the next time I go to Ramirez clinic for him to evaluate her and look over her medical records.

GoMoxie

Thanks for the continued comments Barbara and LLL. I am still doing research, have been in contact with Rachel (thanks Rachel!) and I am doing quality, cost and procedure comparisons. along with looking at the length of time each Dr has been working with stem cells, the number of families I can personally communicate with to assess real results they've experience (knowing that it does not mean my daughter will have the same results of course - but at least I can confirm that these children do exist and did see some improvement).

Right now I am debating between Panama and Mexico. I want to meet with the doctors personally and ask all the questions, look at the facility (if possible), get the details about the lab where they cells are processed, meet other parents, etc.

My plan is to meet with Dr Ramirez (going down to TJ isnt a big deal for us, it's only a 2 hour drive) and also going to the Stem Cell Institute's Seminar in Arizona in February. They will evidently have presentations by the President, Medical Director, staff and other parents. That will be a wonderfully enlightening trip in my opinion.

Once we have spoken both the Dr Ramirez and his staff and Dr Riordan and his staff, then we will make our decision. Price seems to be about equal once we factor in travel costs, with Mexico being about 18k and Panama being 15k. We are probably going to have our airfare donated by friends and family so for the actual procedure, Panama is actually cheaper, but obviously it is farther so there will be a hotel stay and other travel costs incurred.

We are currently trying to come up with fundraising ideas for all of this, because once we've decided we want to try to have it done over spring break or at the latest, early summer.

I feel like we have so much to do, and I just want to get it done already! But I know summer will be here before I know it and (fingers crossed) we will be documenting great changes in our little girl!

Keep any comments and suggestions coming. I am reading them all.

Thanks!
Margo

tysmom

Tylers Jouney into the Stem Cell World

Hi, My Name is Lisa Biermann my son Tyler with Cerebral Palsy had Stem Cell Therapy which has been a miracle... I have set up a website in hopes of helping other children and parents like Tyler and I... Please visit his site click on Tyler's Journey see for yourself how stem cell has changed his life and mine too. http://stemcellhelps.com .. As a parent to my only child that was oxygen deprive during birth and also born with a Heart defect "Obstruction to the Aorta" Tyler had stem cell therapy in December 2007 and again March 2008 The stem cells were frozen stored in a bank in California and FDA Approved in the US they were administrated by Dr. David Steenblock which is one of the highest educated pioneers of Stem Cells ... October 2010 I decided to take Tyler to Dr. Ramirez in Mexico to do his Stem Cells which are Stem Cells from Mexico as a Mother with a special needs child I have to be completely honest it's the right thing to do... I have not seen any improvements in Tyler with the Stem Cells from Dr. Ramirez I have talked with other parents that have told me that they were very disappoint too. Dr Ramirez is charging $18,000 US Dollars Dr.Steenblock depending on what types of cell and how many the price can range from $4,000 to $16,000 which is cheaper and better and safer the US FDA is more strict then the Mexican FDA ... One thing that really bothered me was I thought in Mexico the treatment should be cheaper???
I am telling you what my experience was please email me with any questions, or anything i may be able to help you with www.cerebralpalsy@yahoo.com

God Bless You!
Tyler's Mom
Lisa Biermann
http://stemcellhelps.com

GoMoxie

Steenblock Ramirez stem cell treatments

Hi Lisa,
thanks for posting your comments. I am so glad to hear about your son's progress and the improvements you saw after having stem cell treatment. It always makes me happy to hear of a child's improvements and it gives me hope that we might see some similar changes in our own daughter.

I am a little bit confused by your posting because you stated, your first two treatments with Dr Steenblock were successful (you saw improvements) but then you did not see any noticeable improvements with treatments at Dr Ramirez's clinic. So are you saying that you received umbilical cord stem cells at Dr Steenblock's clinic in the San Diego? I was unaware that the FDA had approved UCSC in the U.S.
I was under the impression that Dr Steenblock had his patients couriered down to TJ for their stem cell infusions and he oversaw the HBOT and their care before and after the infusions. If you received stem cells in his office and you believe what Dr Ramirez gave you was not as effective, (possibly not stem cells at all) did you discuss that with Dr Steenblock? I would be interested to hear what he had to say.
Thanks for the link to your site. I have to take some time and read through all the pages. Which clinic are you now recommending to the people who visit your site?

Thanks again for your post.

Margo

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I am not sure why you would expect the treatment to be cheaper in Mexico than the U.S., but the FDA has recently issued the statement below. Dr. Steenblock is not doing an FDA approved clinical trial to the best of my knowledge is he? Is he working under an IRB? Like it or not, that is what the FDA has mandated.

Patients need to understand that there are risks. Individuals may respond differently to treatment as well. There are parents on here that are quite satisfied with the treatment their children got from Dr. Ramirez. You are obviously happy about the treatment your child received from Dr. Steenblock.

If either doctor thinks he has hit upon a sure fire treatment for CP or anything else for that matter using stem cells, then why not set up a clinical trial, publish the results and prove it? They could also go through the ICMS Accreditation program which would give them an opportunity to prove their treatments are working. It seems that the majority of doctors/companies are very busy accepting patients, charging large fees to the patients who are used as guinea pigs and then not taking the opportunity to gain valuable data that could be used to prove whether or not the treatment has any efficacy. Maybe, if this had been done in the first place, the FDA would have a lot harder time ignoring the science.

I enjoy having you post, but please elaborate as to how Dr. Steenblock's treatment is safer and why you think it is FDA approved. Also, if you were happy with his treatment for your son, why did you not continue to have the treatment done there instead of going to Dr. Ramirez?

FDA Statement:

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm286155.htm

Researchers hope that stem cells will one day be effective in the treatment of many medical conditions and diseases.

Stem cell therapies offer the potential to treat diseases or conditions for which few treatments exist.

Stem cells, sometimes called the body’s “master cells,” are the precursor cells that develop into blood, brain, bones and all of your organs. Their promise in medical treatments is that they have the potential to repair, restore, replace and regenerate cells that could then be used to treat many medical conditions and diseases.

But the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is concerned that the hope that patients have for cures not yet available may leave them vulnerable to unscrupulous providers of stem cell treatments that are illegal and potentially harmful.

FDA cautions consumers to make sure that any stem cell treatment they are considering has been approved by FDA or is being studied under a clinical investigation that has been submitted to and allowed to proceed by FDA.

FDA has approved only one stem cell product, Hemacord, a cord blood-derived product manufactured by the New York Blood Center and used for specified indications in patients with disorders affecting the body’s blood-forming system.

Regulation of Stem Cells
FDA regulates stem cells in the U.S. to ensure that they are safe and effective for their intended use.

“Stem cells can come from many different sources and under the right conditions can give rise to many different cell types,” says Stephanie Simek, Ph.D., deputy director of FDA’s Office of Cellular, Tissue and Gene Therapies.

Stem cells that come from bone marrow or blood are routinely used in transplant procedures to treat patients with cancer and other disorders of the blood and immune system.

Umbilical cord blood is collected from a placenta with the birth mother’s consent. Cord blood cells are then isolated, processed, and frozen and stored in a cord blood bank for future use. Cord blood is regulated by FDA and cord blood banks must follow regulatory requirements.

But there are many other stem cell products, including other cord blood-derived products, that have been reviewed by FDA for use in investigational studies, says Simek. Investigational products undergo a thorough review process as the sponsor prepares to study the safety and effectiveness of the product in adequate and well-controlled human studies (clinical trials).

As part of this review, the sponsor must show how the product will be manufactured so that FDA can make certain that appropriate steps are being taken to help assure the product’s safety, purity and potency. FDA also requires that there be sufficient data generated from animal studies to aid in evaluating any potential risks associated with the use of these products.

Consumers need to be aware that at present—other than cord blood for certain specified indications—there are no approved stem cell products.

Advice for Consumers
If you are considering stem cell treatment in the U.S., ask your physician if the necessary FDA approval has been obtained or if you will be part of an FDA-regulated clinical study. This also applies if the stem cells are your own. Even if the cells are yours, there are safety risks, including risks introduced when the cells are manipulated after removal.

“There is a potential safety risk when you put cells in an area where they are not performing the same biological function as they were when in their original location in the body,” says Simek. Cells in a different environment may multiply, form tumors, or may leave the site you put them in and migrate somewhere else.

If you are considering having stem cell treatment in another country, learn all you can about regulations covering the products in that country. Exercise caution before undergoing treatment with a stem cell-based product in a country that—unlike the U.S.—may not require clinical studies designed to demonstrate that the product is safe and effective. FDA does not regulate stem cell treatments used solely in countries other than the United States and typically has little information about foreign establishments or their stem cell products.

Thwarting a Stem Cell Scheme
In December 2011, three men were arrested in the United States and charged with 15 counts of criminal activity related to manufacturing, selling and using stem cells without FDA sanction or approval.
According to the criminal indictment, one of the accused, a licensed midwife who operated a maternity care clinic in Texas, obtained umbilical cord blood from birth mothers, telling them it was for “research” purposes. Instead, the midwife sold the cord blood to a laboratory in Arizona which, in turn, sent the blood to a paid consultant at a university in South Carolina. The owner of the laboratory in Arizona was convicted in August 2011 of unlawfully introducing stem cells into interstate commerce. She faces up to 3 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
The consultant, an assistant professor, used university facilities to manufacture stem cell products. He then sent the products back to the lab, which sold them to a man representing himself as a physician licensed in the U.S. The man then traveled to Mexico to perform unapproved stem cell procedures on people suffering from cancer, multiple sclerosis and other autoimmune diseases.
The three defendants allegedly received more than $1.5 million from patients seeking treatment for incurable diseases.
“Scammers like these offer false hope to people with incurable diseases in order to line their own pockets with money,” says Special Agent in Charge Patrick J. Holland of FDA’s Office of Criminal Investigations (OCI), Kansas City Field Office. “FDA will continue to aggressively pursue perpetrators who expose the American public to the dangers of unapproved stem cells and ensure that they are punished to the full extent of the law.”
FDA’s OCI worked the case with the Federal Bureau of Investigations and the Internal Revenue Service’s Criminal Investigations Division.
This article appears on FDA's Consumer Updates page, which features the latest on all FDA-regulated products.

Jan. 6, 2012

LLL6521

Regulation Reform instead of FDA Trials

I agree with Barb, please use precaution in considering a clinic or doctor. At this point, if you consider an overseas clinics, I strongly suggest you tell them to register as an ICMS clinic and start publishing their findings. You may have to wait, but this precaution will better serve you and your child. Dr. Steenblock has made some publications on UCB treatments. However, his practice has made some drastic changes on who is performing the treatments. I know for a fact that he is no longer using Dr. Ramirez for the I.V. infusion. Dr. Ramirez has been applying stem cell treatments before the existence of the ICMS regulatory agency, but I think it's time for him to consider registering.
As for Dr. Simek claiming that manipulated autologous stem cells can potentially turn into tumors, I am wondering if he has done any research on this or published anything on this topic. I would question his claim as they question everyone else. I just think it is fair to ask. For example Dr. Centeno has treated every patient as a registered ICMS procedure since 2010, and all of his patients have been contacted at various points regarding the outcome of their procedure, any complications, etc… He has said, “We have extensive experience in what works and what doesn’t work. In addition, based on our published complications paper, our procedure produces significantly fewer complications than the more invasive surgical procedures it helps many patients avoid.” With that being said, Dr. Centeno manipulates bone marrow stem cells from the patient by expanding them in cultures.
Granted, there are risks in any type of clinical trial being a drug or a medical procedure. I just do not believe that autologous stem cells (manipulated or not) should be considered a drug. It just sets us back on potential viable treatments in the future. As you mentioned before, I believe that to many unproven clinics are popping up that are questionable, but I think you agree with me, we should have a different type of regulation that oversees clinics without drastically delaying treatments.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I think the ICMS Accreditation program is one that could be used universally, not just for clinics offshore, but here in the U.S. as well. If not their program exactly, then one modeled after it. The FDA, in my opinion, believes that there are too many clinics out there doing risky and unproven treatments. Instead of weeding out the good from the bad, they simply have decided to regulate our stem cells as drugs and require expensive, long drawn out clinical trials.

Dr. Centeno has done an amazing job of tracking and following his patients. He has crossed his t's and dotted his i's and for that he gets sued.
It certainly does not seem fair, but there are no exceptions at this point and he is lumped in with those that choose to ignore outcomes and pursue the money instead. If others were as diligent as he is, then the evidence would be there. As it is, we have only a few doctors like him willing to put their treatments on the line. There is a chance for failure and for most, why go to all the trouble of tracking patients and following strict guidelines, when there is a steady flow of desperately ill people willing to pay a lot of money to buy what really amounts to a raffle ticket.

I cannot speak for Dr. Centeno, but I have corresponded with him on the subject of clinics who do little to contribute to the legitimacy of stem cell therapy. Whenever another bogus clinic is exposed or outrageous claim is made about treatment, it sets back the cause.

If a treatment is working well, then why not go the extra mile so it can be proven? Dr. Lopez' clinical trial work is a good example. He recently published the results of 2 clinical trials he was working on. One was for COPD. The results can now be used by patients to decide if stem cell therapy at his clinic is for them. No regeneration was shown, but a high percentage did have some improvement in their quality of life. Patients can now make a rational decision based on facts, not hype.

What a contrast to my treatments, for example, at BioRegenesis (now PluriGenesis for those trying to keep track of this name changing company). I was told that COPD could be cured most likely in 4 of their treatments. It was my desire to prove it, but that turned out to not be the desire of others. Having found out the hard way that it was blatantly untrue, I believe it is imperative that a system such as the accreditation program be put in place and that patients have easy access to the results. That way we do not have to rely on company owners, doctors or researchers who have monetary interest in the success of the clinic to provide us with data. An independent group oversees the tracking of patients treated at the clinic. All patients are required to be in the clinical registry.

At this point, unless Dr. Centeno wins his lawsuit or those involved in administering stem cell therapy decide as a whole industry they would like to legitimize their treatments, I don't see any big changes coming.

tysmom

Tylers Jouney into the Stem Cell World

Please allow me to explain the content of my statement about Tyler's Stem Cell Treatments...

Not in anyway am I criticizing either Doctor in anyway, I am only telling you my opinion between the Stem Cells my son received..

Tyler has had treatment with both Doctors, He has had both (Frozen Stem Cells) and (Fresh 14 days after being culture Umbilical Cords are donated to the Mexico University by Mother's in Mexico)

Now I will explain why I choose to take Tyler to Dr. Ramirez 3 years later and chose to use the Fresh stem cells never frozen, already knowing that the frozen stem cells from the US transferred into Mexico with Dr. Steenblock and his team helped my son in all of his disability.

Tyler's Stem Cell Treatment: December 2007 (6 Million Frozen Stem Cells)
March 2008 (6 Million Frozen Stem Cells) Dr. Steenblock Clinic transferred into Mexico 15 Minutes from the US broader then injected in Dr. Ramirez Clinic. The Stem Cells Dr. Ramirez injected came from the US, he only injected them because Stem Cells Umbilical Blood Cord is legal to inject in Mexico not the US (We buy them from the US not allowed to injected them)

When i did my research on Stem Cells for my son back in October 2007 if i seen improvements in Tyler to repeat the treatment 3 months later we did.

We went back to Dr. Steenblock's Clinic in California, paid his office for the stem cells which again stored in a Stem cell Bank frozen travel to Mexico were the stem cells were injected in Dr. Ramirez's office...

6 Million Frozen Stem Cells from the US December 2007
6 Million Frozen Stem Cells from the US March 2008
Total of 12 Million Umbilical Blood Cord Stem Cells

I talked with both Dr. Ramirez and Dr. Steenblock. My question was when and will Tyler need more treatment. The answer I got was some scientist have said after 3 or 4 years some say when you stop noticing improvement some say depending on the condition.

I have documented Tyler's Stem Cell Treatment during this Journey the first year was the healing process i noticed small improvement every 3 months

Into the Second year his vision had improved triple what it was before treatment, he was walking independently, saying more words trying to put sentences together, his seizures went from 1 to 2 a week to one ever 3 months.

His third year into stem cells he become very independent, able to pull himself a drink, to getting into the car buckle himself in, to climbing up ladders, swinging himself with no help from no progress at a 1 year old age level in school to actually being a grade level of 3rd grade when he was in 5 grade. Which is not bad at all.

The Research i did after 3 years if i felt my son needed more improvement to do more treatment... 3 years later he still had seizure not as bad but they were still there... Tyler's cerebral Palsy affected him in is global vision, speech.. walking with his condition just his vision alone was a miracle of stem cells .. If he had another treatment in 3 years he could become someday a independent young man...

Personally knowing both Doctors thinking highly of them both i have been the million questions mother with both Doctors and appreciated all the knowledge they have given me through our journey.. I begin to make plans for another treatment of stem cells for Tyler I was contacted by Dr. Ramirez he said he had a new protocol he was culturing his own stem cells in his clinic in Mexico that the stem cells were better when they are frozen some cells die and you only getting maybe 4 Million Stem cells... He said his new protocol He would culture the stem cells for 14 days from that date they would have to be injected into a patience and for $18,000 US Dollars a patient would receive 65 Million Pure Fresh Stem Cells .. 65 million stem cells reverse 4 million stem cells it was no brainer knowing Dr. Ramirez i knew my son was in good hands, since Tyler had improved so good Dr. Ramirez choose to do only 33.3 Million Stem cells ...

As a Mother of a special needs child, i feel it's my responsibility to be 100% honest if the treatment works I'll be the first to say if it don't work i'll be the first to say. I talk with people of all walks of life and 95% of the people can't afford stem cells they have to continue to suffer which is so sad knowing there is something that can help them and our Government, Scientists, pharmaceutics that's another issue I will share my journals, medical reports whatever it will take to prove this..

I have document Tyler's stem cells progress since December 2007

It has been almost 16 Months there has been no improvements that I have seen when we did the frozen he was showing process everyday, I was very disappointed I have also followed other patients that went the same time my son did and they same the same thing...

I keep journals on Tyler's Stem Cells Journey

I'm not a Doctor or scientist I can only share my experience as a mother of a special needs child that had stem cell therapy and it worked...

I have medical proof , My son Tyler was on the 60 minutes show from New Zealand "In search of a miracle " with Caleb they both used the same stem cells and medical team... I put together a documentary in hopes of making stem cells legal in the US..

I have heard for 5 long years there no proof it works will my son is proof along with his medical records and video..

Watch his video tell me what you think??? Why won't 60 minutes in the US or a New Papers do a article on my son??? It's because they don't want the truth...

http://stemcellhelps.com

As a proud Mother Of a Son Tyler Biermann with Cerebral Palsy, I refuse not to tell the truth about the treatment my son received. Being a Special Mother, father etc we don't come with a manual that guides us what to and how to care for a child we have to help each other and that's what i am doing ... I use to think there was no cure for Cerebral Palsy, I now know that not true!!!

Please if you have any questions feel free to comment back

God Bless,
Lisa Biermann/ Tyler's Mom
www.cerebralpalsy@yahoo.com