Curious about severity of COPD cases treated

lanetl

I have recently signed onto the StemCell Pioneers site and know very little about the topic of stem cell therapy. My husband has advanced stage COPD: lung function around 12%, O2 currently 6-7 lpm. He has a great deal of difficulty getting around; can get from room to room but takes him several minutes to regain his breath and get his oxygen level up again. Rarely leaves the house except for Dr. visits.

My question is, are other patients undergoing the stem cell treatment in comparable condition to that I have described? It seems that some I have read are much less critical than his condition.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
First of all, welcome to the forum. It's really all over the board with the members on here who have COPD. Nassin is the first person I had ever heard of that had stem cell treatment for COPD. His FEV1 was at 11% when he got his first treatment. Mine was 37% declining rapidly each year. I am now at 39%. Hopefully, others will chime in and let you know where they are at. Of course an ideal patient would be fairly young with mild COPD, but for most of us, we are way beyond that. I feel that stem cell therapy has completely stopped the progression of my disease. I continue my quest to find a cure. Thanks to some excellent pioneering stem cell doctors out there, I believe that that is in the not so distant future. Your husband might want to join in on the Cell Advance treatment protocol. This protocol which will be reviewed by an Investigational Review Board and is being monitored by a well known consultant is best described as a daily bath of your own stem cells. For more information you can check it out at www.seachangeforlife.com There are also some new medications coming down the pike that claim to stop the progression. I hope you continue to participate in the forum as we do try to post all the latest information on stem cell research and therapy. We also have the Ask the Doctor forum each month and members are encouraged to send questions in for that.

mallikas

COPD - need help

Hello Barbara,

I just joined the forum and I am not sure if I am doing my postings right. I am not even sure if you will see this posting (because not sure if I am posting this right ).

Doctors say my Mom has advanced COPD. I do not know much about stem cells or stem cell therapy. Does she have a chance of getting better with stem cell therapy. If yes, where do I start ?

You also have mentioned new drugs for COPD. What are they? Have they come out ?

How does stem cell therapy compare with a transplant? My mom will never qualify for a transplant because of her age.

We live in Canada.

Please reply to lal.s@usask.ca as I may not be checking the forum that often and at the right place at the forum as I am a new member. I do not want to miss your answer.

Thanks very much.

Lal

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I replied to you under a different thread you had posted. Never worry about posting correctly. If you post in the wrong section, we will move it. If in doubt, start a new thread. The main thing is to post and be active.

As for new drugs, I don't know of anything miraculous on the market. There are several being tested in clinical trials right now. Maybe, some one else will have more information on this. As for a transplant, I am not the one to ask about this because with stem cell treatment being so close to coming up with a way to reverse lung damage, I would never chance a transplant. You or your mom might be interested in our COPD forum. It is at www.copdliving.com

mallikas

Barbara and/or anybody else answering these questions would be much appreciated.

Hi Barbara,

Thanks very much for your quick responses and the link to COPD forum. I plan to join the COPD forum.

I hope Jeannine is ok.

You likely have answered this in your book in detail. Until I read it,
I am wondering if you could share briefly as to what kind to stem cell treatment you had for yiour COPD. My mom's COPD is very advanced so I am hoping to get some therapy quickly.

Who should I call first? I am at a loss.

Do you know of any doctors in Canada who does stem cell therapy?

Do you know of any research papers published on the success of stem cell therapy on COPD patients?

I looked at the "SeaChange Therapeutics" products and it seems like what they have is an oral stem cell treatment ? They don't give much information as to what kind of research they have done to confirm the product effectiveness.

Do you have any thoughts about SeaChange Therapeutics stem cell products?

It seems like Osiris stem cell research on COPD patients are successful ?

Any thoughts about Airestream Power Lung and BreatheAir Power Lung ?

What are the differences between the two devices?

Sorry, too many questions! I am a bit desparate because my mom seems to need something to stop or reverse the slide, quickly.

Barbara and/or anybody else answering these questions would be much appreciated.

Lal

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I don't have an update on Jeannine to begin with. I do not know of anyone in Canada giving stem cell treatments for COPD. In the U.S. it is legal to give straight autologous (your own cells) treatments.

As for Osiris, there is no published data yet as to the success/failure of their lung trials, but believe me, we are all eagerly waiting for good news.

There are no peer reviewed published articles that I am aware of for the treatment of COPD using stem cells. There is no long term data available either as this is early on and not enough time has gone by to evaluate patients who have had treatment. Nassin (a member of this forum) is the first one I had ever heard of and he had his first treatment in 2006. Jeannine and I followed in 2007, so you can see that there is not going to be much information as far as long term results. I can tell you that I had an FEV1 of 37% and was declining at a rate of about 5% per year prior to treatment. My last PFT showed an increase of 2%. This is significant because there has been no decline whatsoever.

Jeannine and I co-founded SeaChange Therapeutics to help support this forum. We pay for Google ads, server fees, upkeep, etc. We also wanted to have a site where unique products that we have tested could be offered at prices that are below most other sites. The oral product you mention is called Cell Advance. It is available as a treatment protocol because we are testing it to see what its efficacy will be beyond a nutritional supplement. To be accepted if you have COPD, a person cannot smoke and must own an oximeter. The product is being tested on most diseases and the consultant that is working with us is well known in the stem cell industry. This protocol will be published and reviewed by an Investigational Review Board.

As for the PowerLung, I think this is a fantastic product, however, a person must keep after it. No hiding it in the closet or using it once a week. Twice a day is what I do. The Airestream is the product that a COPD patient would need. PowerLungs are available on the SeaChange site at the lowest price that the PowerLung company will allow us to sell them.

I will private message you with some clinics and doctors that you can contact to begin your search for your mom if you are interested in getting her stem cell therapy.

mallikas

Please send me info on clinics and doctors

Hi Barbara,

Thanks very much again for your quick reponse.

Did you, Nassin and Jeannine had the same procedure from the same clinic and doctor ?

Please do send me information on clinics and doctors.

From the information you have so far, what is your opinion on the product "Cell Advance" in reversing and/or arresting lung damage in COPD patients ?

What does PowerLung do ?

Sorry about all these questions.

Take care.

Lal

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
No, Nassin had autologous treatment and we had umbilical cord treatment the first time. I have since had autologous treatment too. The PowerLung strengthens a person's lungs. You can click on PowerLung on the SeaChange site to read more about it. Athletes, musicians, people with breathing problems, cardiac issues, etc. are among those that use the product. It will not cure or reverse lung disease, but it is a unique lung exercisor in that you can adjust it to inhale and exhale at different levels of difficulty. As far as the CellAdvance treatment, it is a slow process and not to be considered an overnight magical pill. So far, the participants are showing slight improvement in their oxygen saturation levels. The consultant is now increasing the dosage for some to see what can be achieved with more of the product. The consultant describes CellAdvance as taking an internal daily bath in your own stem cells. There is scientific evidence that shows AFA (the main ingredient) does encourage the release of stem cells into your system. I have seen what it can do in horses and dogs and am very impressed. My 89 year old mother also takes it and I have seen improvement with her. I also participate in the treatment protocol. It is still early on, but as I mentioned results will be reviewed and published. This is a serious study.

mallikas

More questions: COPD and stem cells

Thanks very much again Barbara for your quick response.

Are autologous treatment and umbilical cord treatments painful procedures ?

How long does it take for one treatment?

Homany times one has to take these treatments and what time intervals to see any imporvements in lung function ?

Sorry I always end up asking you a bunch of questions.

I also look forward to receiving information on clinics and doctors.

Lal

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
There is no set time to have additional treatments as far as I know, however, a stem cell doctor may recommend following up with more therapy, but that is entirely up to that doctor. Some may not even require more than one treatment. It varies from person to person. Some report feeling no improvement, others seem to be elated and getting off supplemental O2 in a month after treatment. The earlier the treatment is given, the better the results will probably be so waiting until a person gets worse is not advisable.

Some people find a marrow extraction painful, others don't. Most treatments when putting the cells back in are simply done by IV for COPD or by syringe into the vein in your arm. Dr. Grekos is actually getting the cells into the lobes of the lungs, so maybe one of his patients can comment on that. I have also nebulized stem cells. I had one marrow extraction that proved so fruitful that it took about 3 hours to reinfuse all the cells into me. I have had umbilical cord treatment that took about 20 minutes. I also had a peripheral blood treatment that took about 20 minutes. If you are getting a treatment where the cells are manipulated in some way, you may have to wait to have them put back in. I believe 3 hours was the time mentioned in a post about Dr. Fernandez. Some clinics take a few days to culture the cells. There is not one standard treatment for COPD so your question is difficult.

mallikas

COPD - few more questions

Thanks very much again, Barbara.

Could you please comment on the use of the product "Clear Lungs" for reversing COPD?

What doctors and clinics did you, Jeannine and Nassin use (are using)? Are you all, completely satisfied with the service and treatments?

I am wondering if you could please let me the contact information for the doctors and the clinics? If you do not wish to list them here, please send them to me directly to my email lal.s@usask.ca

Thanks very much again.

Lal

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Jeannine and I try all the products on SeaChange or ask others to evaluate them if it is not a product we would need. Clear Lungs is a good product and that is why we have it on the site, however, it,(or any other product we have on the site) is not intended to cure anything. You can take Clear Lungs on a daily maintenance basis for lung health.

We do not endorse any clinic, company or doctor on this forum. I will send you a list of resources that will be a good starting point for you to research and find out about treatments. The list is made up of doctors and clinics that we have found treat patients fairly and honestly and consider the patient's safety and health to be the number one priority. Nassin had treatment with Dr. Fernandez. I have had treatment with Dr. Steenblock and Dr. Feinerman. Jeannine and I originally went to Stem Cell Biotherapy. I WOULD NOT recommend to anyone that they go there. The company is currently being called Cellulogix International. They are red flagged on this forum.

mallikas

Thanks very much

Thanks very much, Barbara for your patience with answering all my questions. I probably will have more to come later!

With Best Wishes !

Lal

jackgparker

I live in Dallas, Tx. and heard about a place in Costa Rica that offered stem cell treatment. The cost was about $15,000 with no guarantee. My M.D. told me that they may only want the money and wouldn't recommend that I take the treatment. Are there any stem cell treatments being done in the USA and do they take medicare. Thanks for response.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I imagine you are referring to ICM. One of their doctors is hosting the Ask the Doctor forum this month. I don't know of any medical procedure that comes with a guarantee. I certainly don't get any when I go visit my doctor. Your doctor is not alone in his fear of stem cell therapy. Many doctors do not completely understand it yet and for many, their continuing education requirements are sponsored by big pharmaceutical companies who certainly don't want well people. There is not a lot of money for drug companies in wellness. It will be way down the road, in my opinion, before Medicare will pick up the costs of stem cell treatment, even that which is given legally here in the U.S. There are many hospitals that use stem cell treatments on an experimental basis and these are undoubtedly covered by the patient's insurance, but otherwise you need to pay out of your own pocket for treatment. In the U.S. it starts at around $2500 for autologous treatment. More extensive treatment may be gotten, but not in the U.S. and of course the price goes up if the treatment is more complex.

yetmost

Seachange products

Do you use any of the following: Clear Lung Extra Strength
Mushroom Boost
Breathing Boost
Pulmonary Health?
Thank you so very much for being there for us.
Pauline

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Why thank you Pauline. I needed that "Boost". I use Pulmonary Health daily and MushroomBoost. I use ClearLungs if I feel like I could be getting congested. I also use DNA Protection and Mitochondrial Energizer Optimizer on the advice of Dr. Feinerman who last treated me. The rest of my daily regimen consists of colostrum (one jar of that will last a long time), ashitaba, resveratrol, Vitamin D3, calcium, evening primrose oil on the advice of Dr. Steenblock and I participate in the CellAdvance treatment protocol and am currently on a dosage of 4 capsules a day with that. I take the HGH releaser for 3 months at a time and then break for a couple of months with that product. I also take 1 TBS. of collodial silver daily. Jeannine and I test almost all of the products we have on the Seachange site. There are a few that stem cell doctors have requested that their patients have so we offer those for them, but for the most part we use these products ourselves regularly. The Pulmonary Health product was designed to accommodate all the separate supplements that Dr. Feinerman requests his patients to take after treatment. It is so much simpler to have one bottle than a whole bunch of separate bottles to get what he wants patients to have. I have to tell you, I am feeling GOOD. I also do 3 sets of 10 lung exercises on the PowerLung two times a day. My husband likes the product LivingBoost. He uses it as an all around multi-vitamin. This may seem like a lot to some people, but most of the anti aging doctors that I am acquainted with look very healthy and they use quite a few supplements themselves. Once you get a routine down, it is simple to remember what to take and when. I take some in the morning and some at night and use two pill boxes to keep them straight. Little price to pay for better health in my opinion. I also love the colostrum lotion to soothe my nose as I use oxygen and live in a dry climate. The stuff is awesome.