Crossing border from Mexico into U.S.

Pat Chronister

Pioneer Member
I'm curious how long it has taken recent patients to get from Tijuana Hospital and back to the San Diego Hotel. I'm stressing over my oxygen tank supply. Dr. F. said the hospital would have extra tanks if needed and to contact SCB Administrator to set it up. I know time delays at the border are not predictable, but has U.S. border guard recently asked everyone for ID or is it more of a random selective thing. My daughter only has her driver's license. Potential problem???? Pat Chronister

rosech44

Border Crossing

When We Went To Mexico Oct. 4th--our Trip Back To US, Went Extremely Smooth---our Driver Pulled Up, Told All Of Us To Have Our Id Out And Ready, He Opened Up The Hood, Trunk, And Side Doors On The Van, Then Went In And Asked The Guards To Come Out To Us, As We Were On Oxygen And Hard To Walk. The Guard Came Out Checked Our Id, And Sent Us On Thru Without A Hitch.
I Think It Mainly Depends On The Guards On Duty, And The Driver You End Up With, Ours Was Very Professional. Ana Said She Had Had To Walk 2 Hrs Before With Another Driver---it Is The Luck Of The Draw.

Good Luck--you Will Be Glad You Went, But, Get The Birth Certificate, Our State Puts Out A Certified Copy That Was Accepted At The Gate--oregon

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
O2

Pat - You need to make sure you have enough oxygen. You can't count on anything just like Rose says. Some days it is a ten minute wait, other days it can be over 2 hours. Jeannine and I weren't so lucky and we got stuck for a very long time. Luckily I had brought two portables with me and Jeannine could plug hers into the cigarette lighter. SCB was poorly equipped for us. We could have had serious problems. I also suggest bringing a bottle of water and make sure you go to the bathroom before you leave the hospital. SCB was going to have their own portable system, but I don't believe they have ever followed through with that. You might want to contact someone at the SCB office to find out for sure. Does your daughter have a birth certificate? You will be leaving soon, so you need to get your documentation together ASAP. I know you realize that, but it is not a matter of anyone getting into Mexico without the proper docs, it is getting back into the U.S. Ironic isn't it?

Mysty119

hmmmm---

Until I read what was written on crossing the border, I never even gave it another thought. I guess this means I will need to get a passport?????:rolleyes:

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
No passports needed yet for border crossings

2008 was supposed to be the year that everyone would need passports even for border crossings. It is going to be postponed it looks like until 2009 because the government cannot keep up with the applications. Check for sure with the U.S. Passport service, but this is the latest information I have.

hlichten

Super Moderator
2008 was supposed to be the year that everyone would need passports even for border crossings. It is going to be postponed it looks like until 2009 because the government cannot keep up with the applications. Check for sure with the U.S. Passport service, but this is the latest information I have.
Yes, you are correct.
Looks like driver's license plus birth certificate in lieu of a passport right now:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Tami03

re passports to Mexico

You will need passports. We just came back and they are REQUIRED before you reenter the US.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
2009 is when passports will be required

This is the current information available from the U.S. Passport office. You still do not need a passport for land crossings to and from Mexico unless you do not have the other documentation. Check with the U.S. Passport office to confirm.

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL
The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security?s website.

* CURRENTLY:
U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (available in spring 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver?s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
* LATER:
On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Passport question arises AGAIN

The only thing I can think of is that they were being more cautious in Tijuana because of all the recent violence there, but that doesn't really seem likely. Rules are rules and in 2008 you do not need a passport if you have other documentation as described by the U.S. Passport office for land crossings into Mexico. Again, check well in advance of any planned trips to Mexico for your own peace of mind. We have gone through this before on the forum and it can save you money to not have to get a passport if you never plan to go to a foreign country again. Otherwise, they are not a bad investment.

Tami03

re passports to Mexico

All I know is THIS. We HAD to have passports to get back into the US, As of oct 07 it was mandated by the Passport office in DC, I spoke with them in November of 07. And was told that passports were required. I crossed the Mexico in Tijuana. It took about 45 minutes to reenter the US and we had to leave our shuttle to be checked through by the US military. I don't know about you all but I would rather be safe than sorry. To go through all this and than have to be stuck in Mexico, passports are the only sure fire way to reenter the US. So I would get them ours took approximately 6 weeeks because it was for a medical reason.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
www.travel.state.gov/passport

I agree with you that it is good to have a passport. However, it is an added expense to already expensive treatments and some people may not have the time to wait like you did either. The site above is the official one and the regulations for land crossing into Mexico are effective in 2009 according to this site. Again, I would urge people to take it on their own and call or e-mail the agency to verify. You still need proper identification no matter what, but I do not want anyone here, including me, to be the final authority on the issue of passport requirements.

rosech44

Passports

Hubby And I Applied For Passports Yesterday, We Were Told That It Could Take 4 Weeks, But, That They Have Been Coming Back In 2 Weeks---it Is An Added Expense, But, They Are Good For 10 Years. Since I Am Thinking Very Strongly Of Going For A Booster, I Decided To Get The Passport. Besides That Someday I Will Be A Whole Lot Better Than I Am Now, And I Might Want To Go To Canada Or Somewhere----

Looking Forward To A Better Life-----