Criteria for Allogenic Stem Cell Transplants

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Interesting as to why some people may not get any effects from treatment if the company where they are going is not making sure of the following:

Criteria for Allogeneic (Non-Self) Stem Cell Transplants

1. Certificate of analysis stating that the donor cells are free of any genetic defects. The companies can sample a few number of cells and run a gene chip analysis against known sequences (in Human Genome database) of genetic defects.

2. Donor cells MUST be gender specific. Male donor cells will not work in female recipients (cells with testosterone receptors on cell surfaces will not respond to estrogen and progesterone). Female donor cells will not work in male recipients (cells with estrogen and progesterone receptors will not respond to testosterone).

3. Must decide which is cell type of interest from cord blood cells ? all types are present, i.e., hematopoietic stem cells, ectodermal stem cells, mesodermal stem cells, endodermal stem cells, and pluripotent stem cells. One can separate hematopoietic stem cells from other stem cell types by using CD45 sorting. All hematopoietic stem cells are CD45+ (positive), while other stem cell types are CD45- (negative). Can sort by either FACS (fluorescent activated cell sorting), magnetic beads, or panning.

4. Freezing protocols must be aligned to type of cell. If hematopoietic stem cells are preferred choice (will only form hematopoietic lineage cells) then can flash freeze cells in liquid nitrogen (-196C). If non-hematopoietic stem cells (i.e., ectodermal stem cells, mesodermal stem cells, endodermal stem cells, or pluripotent stem cells) are preferred cell of choice then MUST slow freeze at -75C (liquid nitrogen kills ~95-98% of non-hematopoietic stem cells). Freezing cells at -75C, necessitates the use of a cryoprotectant, i.e., 99.999% pure DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide). Make up cell suspension in freezing medium-A at twice (2X) final concentration. Add DMSO to feezing medium-B to a concentration of 15%. Mix medium-A (cells) with medium-B (DMSO) 50:50, to a final concentration of 1X cells in 7.5% DMSO. Place cell/DMSO mixture into cryovials, then place cryovials into slow freezing chamber and then into -75C freezer. Store at -75C (storing in liquid nitrogen kills stem cells).