Courses of action in the U.S. for patients who receive poor treatment or were misled


Pioneer Founding member
Patients who feel they have legitimate complaints about treatments they have received or feel that information they were given or read on a website was misleading from clinics/doctors in the United States do have some recourse. Legal action is also an option especially if the treatment results in injury or death.

Here is some information that may be useful. In most instances a person can make a complaint and their name will be kept in confidence by the agency it is filed with. The FTC will also accept consumer complaints anonymously if that is preferred. Complaints can be made by phone or online with most agencies.

Patients need not fear that the information they provide will be made public. These agencies exist to give consumers protection. It takes patient involvement to alert others if you feel that you did not receive the type of care that you were promised or if you became ill or were injured. Making a simple report may help save someone else from being taken advantage of. There is no cost involved with these agencies.

State Attorney General - Do an internet search for the state where treatment was obtained to get information on filing a complaint.

State Medical Boards
- Do an online search for the type of medicine practiced by the doctor who treated you. There may be separate boards depending on what type of doctor he or she is.

Better Business Bureau - Check online as each city/state will have its own BBB.

FTC 1-866-382-4357 Report false or misleading advertising here. This should also be reported to the other agencies.


Consumer Complaint Coordinators
To report adverse reactions or other problems with FDA-regulated products, contact the FDA district office consumer complaint coordinator for your geographic area. If you require the use of a Relay Service, please call the Federal Relay Services (1-800-877-8339). This is a toll free relay service to call Federal agencies from TTY devices.

Please Note: There is not a Consumer Complaint Coordinator in each state. Consumer Complaint Coordinators are assigned by regions. Therefore, several states will have the same Consumer Complaint Coordinator assigned to it.


Alaska--(toll free) 800-353-3965

Arizona--(949) 608-3530

Arkansas--(214) 253-5237

California (Northern)--(510) 337-6741

California (Southern)--(949) 608-3530

Colorado--(303) 236-3044

Connecticut-- (toll-free) 800-891-8295

Delaware-- (toll-free) 877-689-8073

District of Columbia--(410) 779-5713

Florida -- (866) 337-6272

Georgia--(404) 253-1169

Hawaii-- 808-522-8011 x100

Idaho--(toll free) 800-353-3965

Illinois--(312) 353-7840

Indiana--(313) 393-8189

Iowa--(913) 752-2440

Kansas--(913) 752-2440

Kentucky--(513) 679-2700, ext. 124

Toll-free in Kentucky: 800-437-2382


Maine-- (toll-free) 800-891-8295

Maryland--(410) 779-5713

Massachusetts-- (toll-free) 800-891-8295

Michigan--(313) 393-8189

Minnesota--(612) 758-7221


Missouri--(913) 752-2440

Montana--(toll free) 800-353-3965

Nebraska--(913) 752-2440

Nevada--(510) 337-6741

New Hampshire-- (toll-free) 800-891-8295

New Jersey-- (973) 331-4998

New Mexico--(303) 236-3044

New York -- (toll-free) 866-446-9055

North Carolina--(404) 253-1169

North Dakota--(612) 758-7221

Ohio--(513) 679-2700, ext. 124

Toll free in Ohio: 800-437-2382

Oklahoma--(214) 253-5237

Oregon--(toll free) 800-353-3965


Rhode Island-- (toll-free) 800-891-8295

South Carolina--(404) 253-1169

South Dakota--(612) 758-7221

Tennessee-- 866-289-3399

Texas (all areas except Houston)--(214) 253-5237

Houston area only: (713) 293-1432

Utah--(303) 236-3044

Vermont-- (toll-free) 800-891-8295

Virginia--(410) 779-5713

Washington-- (toll free) 800-353-3965

West Virginia--(410) 779-5713

Wisconsin--(612) 758-7221

Wyoming--(303) 236-3044

Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands-- (toll free) 800-332-0127


Pioneer Founding member
For those that missed this the first time - here it is again. I have had several members ask for contact information, so I compiled this awhile back. There is also a Search function on this forum if you are looking for a thread or a post and are unable to find it. Try searching first. If you remember who made the post, you can also click on Community and then find the member's name. Click on it and you can find a listing of the posts they have made.