Cord blood

Kitson

Is there anywhere inthe US that uses cord blood instead of bone marrow?

I rather forgo the chemo. I do not know the success rate vs cord blood and cels harvested from bone marrow.

Also anyone know where I can find where any of these procedures are done in the US?

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
kitson

As far as I know there are currently no stem cell treatments available in the US that use cord blood at least none that I've heard of.

Kitson

Does anyone know why that is?

I do not want to go to mexico or china for such treatments. But then I don't even know if they are any good. The one girl that had this done in the nethlands it failed.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
kitson

Umbilical cord stem cells are not FDA approved and aren't even in the pipeline as far as I can see. There are a few companies currently working on stem cell treatments using adult stem cells but there are still in clinical trials. You will be waiting a long time to receive cord blood stem cells in the US.

Check out our Stem Cell in the News topic on this forum for details.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
No treatments in the US

Treatment in the USA must be FDA approved and it isn't. What is your objection to Mexico? I had umbilical cord stem cell therapy there for my COPD and the hospital was a very nice small, private facility. The doctors were trained in the U.S. and could communicate better than some doctors I have had in the U.S. There are MS patients that are members of this forum that got treatment in Mexico. Perhaps they will see your post and comment.

Kitson

Personal choice, not for me.

I am looking into having the hematopoietic stem cell treatment. it might be dangerous, but I feel it will have better results in the long run and safer in a hospital with well respected doctors.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I guess I just don't understand how something that is more dangerous can be made safer by having well respected doctors. I wouldn't think a well respected doctor would want to put you in danger. Just my thoughts.........

Kitson

ok well if this forum is all about running to mexico or 3rd world coutries to receive treatment, I'll pass.

I am not finding any information that is benefical to me on this site.

Kitson,

The facts of the matter are that a high percentage of all the R&D, clinical trials, and actual treatments involving stemcells of any type are being done outside the USA. The work in this field seems to be further advanced outside the US when you research into it.

I would prefer that this were not true personally, but that is the reality of how things stand right now in the world.

Nobody here is trying to push you to go outside the country if you don't want to.

What they are saying is that rejecting treatment outside the USA out of hand will shut you off from nearly all possible therapy involving stem cells.

It is your health and you need to do what you feel is best for you.

The treatment my wife and Barbara had was done in Mexico, but the treatment was developed and overseen by American doctors. The company providing the therapy is based in San Diego, CA. The Mexico involvement was required to get the therapy NOW rather than 20+ years from now when the FDA finally approves it.

Last edited:

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Kitson - Whoa - Who said that? I was trying to understand your logic, but apparently there isn't any. If you are looking for treatment in the U.S., I think you will need to be very patient. That's all. One interesting fact is that one of the GOP presidential candidates, Mitt Romney, has this issue very close to his heart as his wife suffers from MS. Maybe, you could get some answers there as to why the U.S. is so far behind. Good luck.

hlichten

Super Moderator
ok well if this forum is all about running to mexico or 3rd world coutries to receive treatment, I'll pass.

I am not finding any information that is benefical to me on this site.

It is not ALL ABOUT Mexico, or 3rd world countries, although I have been to one this year (Thailand) for one treatment.

I just got back from treatment in Germany, which is far from 3rd world, and had a marrow-based treatment there. Marrow and marrow-based cells have been in use for 30+ years, so they are the tried-and-true of the stem cell world. The facility there was ultra-modern, super clean, the OR had clean room-class cleanliness and filtration, the doctor that treated me was a skilled neurosurgeon, and the price was great!

Cord blood is newer, may or may not have more risks than marrow (depends on what you read, and who you talk to). Some doctors say that cord blood is more potent than marrow.

My understanding is that hematopoietic cells can be derived from marrow, not sure who does that and where, but I will be happy to check into it.

There are a majority of folks here who have had cord blood treatment for COPD. I am NOT one of them.

As Barbara said, there are no FDA approved treatments, cord blood or otherwise in the USA, so a doctor can't do them and keep his/her license to practice medicine. It is that simple. There are marrow-based studies involving control groups, but you only have a 50/50 chance of actually getting the real cells, and there are no studies right now with humans and cord blood. Any of this could change any time, but likely not in the next few years.

If there is nothing here on this group for you, I still wish you the very best despite any current prognosis you may have, but I think you should stick around. There are some caring folks here, and people who will help in any way that they can. They would not got to Mexico, Thailand, Singapore, etc. for treatment if treatment was available here.

Kitson

My understanding is that hematopoietic cells can be derived from marrow, not sure who does that and where, but I will be happy to check into it.

They do that procedure here http://www.nmh.org/nmh/specialtiesandservices/servicescenters/sct/main.htm

no you do not have to be in a study to have it done. If you want insurance to cover it you do need to be in te study.

Also there are 5 other hospitals doing this, but I can't think of the names I know the locations. Texas, california and seattle.

there is a low fatality rate, depending on the illness you are battling, it might be worth it to take the risk vs the prognosis of the disease itself.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
kitson

If you already know the answers then why ask here? I checked out that link you posted and it appears that these treatments are for cancer as I didn't see any other conditions listed.

There is nothing else available in the US at this time that is FDA approved.

hlichten

Super Moderator
They do that procedure here http://www.nmh.org/nmh/specialtiesandservices/servicescenters/sct/main.htm

no you do not have to be in a study to have it done. If you want insurance to cover it you do need to be in te study.

Also there are 5 other hospitals doing this, but I can't think of the names I know the locations. Texas, california and seattle.

there is a low fatality rate, depending on the illness you are battling, it might be worth it to take the risk vs the prognosis of the disease itself.

You did say as an alternative to chemo originally, correct?
If so, YES, for cancer you can get stem cell treatment, or marrow treatment as it is referred to, usually from a donor's marrow, not yours.
Cancer and orthopedics are the two ailments for which marrow-based treatments can be legally found in the USA today.

In Texas, it would be through MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, a GREAT place!!

But cord blood, not yet.

Last edited:

Kitson

You did say as an alternative to chemo originally, correct?
If so, YES, for cancer you can get stem cell treatment, or marrow treatment as it is referred to, usually from a donor's marrow, not yours.
Cancer and orthopedics are the two ailments for which marrow-based treatments can be legally found in the USA today.

In Texas, it would be through MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, a GREAT place!!

But cord blood, not yet.

wrong, I am not talking about cord blood.

Also they use your own stem cells, not donated. You can undergo the trial or choose to pay for the procedure yourself to make sure you aren't in the placebo group.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00273364
I believe the physican in charge of this study is a dr. richard burt.

And dr.anderson is not the one in charge of the stem cell transplants in houston for MS. I can look up who it is, he is from Seattle and working with a Dr. Frohman at UT South Western.

hlichten

Super Moderator
OK, I now have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

1.) Who said anything about a Dr. Anderson??? MD Anderson Cancer Center is a name of one of the largest cancer centers in the world. It has nothing to do with a Dr. Anderson whatsoever. The have been doing bone marrow implantations there for cancer for years. Anyone with any cancer should consider going there for a workup. People come there from all around the world, everywhere.

MD Anderson happens to be one of the TOP TWO cancer centers in the USA, and has been ranked as such EVERY YEAR SINCE 1990. Most consider it one of the top cancer centers in the world.

2.) You said "wrong, I am not talking about cord blood" and I said "cord blood, not yet" so we are in agreement. NEITHER OF US are talking about cord blood.

3.) I don't need the exact names of the doctors doing it.

So, what exactly are we disagreeing about?

You know what you want, and where to get it, and who to get it from, so what information do you actually want to research, if any?

Last edited:

cellmedicine

Cord blood is SOMETIMES used in the US

Is there anywhere inthe US that uses cord blood instead of bone marrow?

I rather forgo the chemo. I do not know the success rate vs cord blood and cels harvested from bone marrow.

Also anyone know where I can find where any of these procedures are done in the US?

It is very very important not to confuse cord blood transplants for hematopoietic malignancies (ie leukemias) with cord blood transplants for regenerative indications (ie heart failure). If you are seeking cord blood as an alternative source for a hematopoietic indication please discuss with your hematologist/oncologist, this is approved for certian conditions in the US, the problem is that engraftment is more delayed with cord blood as opposed to bone marrow, however people such as John Wagner are workign on this by using 2 bags of cord blood insteat of one or doing various modifications.

For the state of the art just search "cord blood" on www.clinicaltrials.gov

Hope this helps

ladystewart

Treatment

It is not ALL ABOUT Mexico, or 3rd world countries, although I have been to one this year (Thailand) for one treatment.

I just got back from treatment in Germany, which is far from 3rd world, and had a marrow-based treatment there. Marrow and marrow-based cells have been in use for 30+ years, so they are the tried-and-true of the stem cell world. The facility there was ultra-modern, super clean, the OR had clean room-class cleanliness and filtration, the doctor that treated me was a skilled neurosurgeon, and the price was great!

Cord blood is newer, may or may not have more risks than marrow (depends on what you read, and who you talk to). Some doctors say that cord blood is more potent than marrow.

There are a majority of folks here who have had cord blood treatment for COPD. I am NOT one of them.

As Barbara said, there are no FDA approved treatments, cord blood or otherwise in the USA, so a doctor can't do them and keep his/her license to practice medicine. It is that simple. There are marrow-based studies involving control groups, but you only have a 50/50 chance of actually getting the real cells, and there are no studies right now with humans and cord blood. Any of this could change any time, but likely not in the next few years.

If there is nothing here on this group for you, I still wish you the very best despite any current prognosis you may have, but I think you should stick around. There are some caring folks here, and people who will help in any way that they can. They would not got to Mexico, Thailand, Singapore, etc. for treatment if treatment was available here.
Harv,

I am new so---Why did you have treatment in Thailand and then Germany? Not working as well in one place for you??

hlichten

Super Moderator
Harv,

I am new so---Why did you have treatment in Thailand and then Germany? Not working as well in one place for you??
The company that treated me in Thailand claimed that 80% of people they treated for coronary issues saw improvement, and their statistics also showed that more than 90% of these patients saw improvement in 6 months. Since I had been 9 months since treatment with no improvement, I sought out another treatment facility. I did not want a cord blood treatment for heart disease, so I went to Germany for treatment with my own marrow.

That is the very short of it, if you want/need more details please let me know.

ladystewart

Response

The company that treated me in Thailand claimed that 80% of people they treated for coronary issues saw improvement, and their statistics also showed that more than 90% of these patients saw improvement in 6 months. Since I had been 9 months since treatment with no improvement, I sought out another treatment facility. I did not want a cord blood treatment for heart disease, so I went to Germany for treatment with my own marrow.

That is the very short of it, if you want/need more details please let me know.
Thank you for your quick response. I am looking over all.

FYI-- My name for all is Sharon Stewart