bill being put through parliament today!

shazza

theres a bill being put before parliament today, the way l understand it is this, more research is needed, into deseases like parkinsons, alzhiemers etc but theres a shortage of human eggs, so they propose to create a human animal hybrid, but they will remove as much of the animal as possible which would leave it 99.9% human! these embryos would be destoyed once research was completed, there are people who are against this as its animal/human and because they believe the soul of a person is created at conception, l myself have always believe a soul goes into a baby once it starts to look like a baby and not a cluster of cells!

update- our prime minister gordon brown is backing this bill people are confident that it will be passed!!
sharon

Last edited:

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
It's too bad that Parliament is not working on getting treatment legalized for people who are dying for lack of it. So many stem cell advances have been made with stem cells that have no ethical issues attached to them whatsoever. We have the same situation in the U.S. Appalling if you ask me.

shazza

It's too bad that Parliament is not working on getting treatment legalized for people who are dying for lack of it. So many stem cell advances have been made with stem cells that have no ethical issues attached to them whatsoever. We have the same situation in the U.S. Appalling if you ask me.
scientists also want to research something for years and years, so l dont think stemcell treatment will happen in this country in my lifetime!
sharon

Shazza

You took the words right out of my mouth

What I sent today to some people I know

Subject: Why it will take forever for FDA tp approve stem cells

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/08/us/08stem.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1210622887-K6AFf10oCGefFN8T8sk6Eg

Once you read the article you will notice that ALL the money is being poured into Universities and they love dragging out the funding so don't hold your breath. If this money had been handed out to companies already engaging in stem cell research I bet it be approved by the FDA much quicker.

shazza

hi

Shazza

You took the words right out of my mouth

What I sent today to some people I know

Subject: Why it will take forever for FDA tp approve stem cells

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/08/us/08stem.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1210622887-K6AFf10oCGefFN8T8sk6Eg

Once you read the article you will notice that ALL the money is being poured into Universities and they love dragging out the funding so don't hold your breath. If this money had been handed out to companies already engaging in stem cell research I bet it be approved by the FDA much quicker.
what are the presidential candidates views on stemcell research/treatment?
sharon

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Shazza

Good question and I have no idea. It hasn't come up so far. Maybe we will hear more once we have only two candidates.

By the way, there isn't any ban on stem cells. The only restriction has been the amount of money the government is willing to hand out for embryonic stem cells. Anyone can research stem cells. I think this has been a major misunderstanding that the media has continued to spread.

shazza

hi

Shazza

Good question and I have no idea. It hasn't come up so far. Maybe we will hear more once we have only two candidates.

By the way, there isn't any ban on stem cells. The only restriction has been the amount of money the government is willing to hand out for embryonic stem cells. Anyone can research stem cells. I think this has been a major misunderstanding that the media has continued to spread.
ive listened to any news concerning the two major candidates and heard no mention so far, my sister seems to think that with bush out of the white house, any restrictions will ease , but l dont know, l hope so!
sharon

Last edited:

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
shazza

As far as I know there is no ban on any type of stem cell research. The only restriction was the amount of government money being given out for research.

Any company or university can do whatever they want in researching with embryonic stem cells it's just that the government isn't funding it all.

It may or may not change under a new president. Embryonic research hasn't announced any major developments while adult and cord blood research seems to have made great strides without government funding. GO FIGURE

I still believe the media has misled Americans about stem cells and funding.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I wrote Hillary Clinton and asked for her views as one of the congresswomen from Colorado is heading her stem cell research committee. They seem to be hung up on embryonic stem cell therapy and not much else. I did get a response from the Clinton e-mail I sent which said that she is too busy campaigning to address individuals at this time, however, if I wished to donate to her campaign, it would be much appreciated. I have also tried repeatedly to get replies from my own congressman and I have even gone so far as to request a personal meeting with him. So far, nothing. I agree with Jeannine in that the media has little knowledge of stem cell therapy and personally I don't think many in our government do either. Bush has been a stumbling block to some extent as far as embryonic stem cell research, but I don't think any candidate has made any stem cell therapy a priority in their campaigns. It's easy to say that it could all change with a new President, but I still see an uphill climb until there is better understanding of stem cell treatment in general and more data available from researchers and doctors.

shazza

hi

I wrote Hillary Clinton and asked for her views as one of the congresswomen from Colorado is heading her stem cell research committee. They seem to be hung up on embryonic stem cell therapy and not much else. I did get a response from the Clinton e-mail I sent which said that she is too busy campaigning to address individuals at this time, however, if I wished to donate to her campaign, it would be much appreciated. I have also tried repeatedly to get replies from my own congressman and I have even gone so far as to request a personal meeting with him. So far, nothing. I agree with Jeannine in that the media has little knowledge of stem cell therapy and personally I don't think many in our government do either. Bush has been a stumbling block to some extent as far as embryonic stem cell research, but I don't think any candidate has made any stem cell therapy a priority in their campaigns. It's easy to say that it could all change with a new President, but I still see an uphill climb until there is better understanding of stem cell treatment in general and more data available from researchers and doctors.
it does really get to me how they only focus on embryonic stemcells, as if thats the only way of getting stemcells! all women in maternity hospitals could fill in a form giving permission for stemcells to be taken from there placentas after birth after all, its a waste product thats just thrown away,but it could save countless lives, and it would be so easy, over here youget a pack containing books, vouchers, forms, etc , which you get in the first few months of your pregnancy and it would be so easy to include something asking wether you give your permission or not!
sharon