Another Athlete Uses his Own Stem Cells to Treat a Sports Injury

Claire

Trent Hodkinson eyes promotion after stem cell surgery to repair his knee

David Riccio
The Sunday Telegraph
December 21, 2014 12:00AM

Trent Hodgkinson is a frontrunner to be named the Bulldogs’ new captain.

NSW and Canterbury halfback Trent Hodkinson is adamant his game can go to another level after undergoing a second round of $10,000 stem cell surgery on his left knee last month.

The Bulldogs playmaker has also declared he will be fit for the NRL kick-off in March following his fourth major knee treatment in six years.

Hodkinson shook his head when asked to recall a more satisfying year than what he experienced in 2014. Not only was he selected to make his debut for NSW, he became the first halfback in eight years to steer the Blues to an Origin series victory.

His year was capped with a grand final appearance before tying the knot with long-term girlfriend Chantelle.

“It was a dream season,’’ Hodkinson said.

Trent Hodgkinson is ready to get back to training after stem cell surgery on his knee.

But it would not be a winter without Hodkinson suffering a pinch, twist or tear in one of
his knees.

Indicative of the 26-year-old’s resilience, Hodkinson played the final two games — the preliminary final against Penrith and then the grand final against South Sydney — with a torn meniscus in his left knee.

Hodkinson suffered the injury in the first-half of Canterbury’s elimination final win against Manly, a game he won with a golden-point field goal.

“It was midway through the first half when the body went one way and I felt a pop,’’ Hodkinson said.

He battled on, relying on stopgap remedies of ice, rest and physiotherapy to get him on to the paddock for the final two games of the season. He had an operation to repair the torn meniscus on October 31 before NSW and Sydney Swans doctor Nathan Gibbs performed
stem-cell treatment three weeks later.

The radical treatment is nothing new to Hodkinson, who underwent the procedure in 2012.

The day surgery involves fat tissue being injected into the affected area. In Hodkinson’s case, fat cells were taken from his stomach, before being injected back into his left knee.

The cells help generate new cartilage and cushioning where the halfback’s knee joints had been reduced to bone-on-bone.

Hodkinson remained awake for the two hour procedure, watching an NFL match on TV as Gibbs performed the same treatment he has previously performed on Swans champion Adam Goodes.

NSW’s Origin win was part of a stellar season for Trent Hodkinson.

“If the meniscus thing didn’t happen, I wouldn’t be getting the stem cell, but the doctor suggested that while I’m repairing that, I may as well get it done,’’ Hodkinson said.

“I remember before I had it the last time (2012) I couldn’t walk up stairs without pain. But after it, it felt great. And it feels just as good this time.’’

An MRI scan after Christmas will determine how much cartilage the stem cells have created.

Until then, Hodkinson is hellbent on getting his body in shape for the most important season of his career.

Not only is he a frontrunner to be named Canterbury captain following the departure of Michael Ennis to Cronulla, Hodkinson is off-contract at the end of 2015.

“I’ve been on the bike and (weights trainer) Harry Harris has been helping me in the gym. By late January I should be back out with the boys and I’ll be 100 per cent for kick-off,” he said.

“Personally, I think there’s heaps of improvement left in me. I definitely don’t think I’ve played my best footy.

“I pride myself on my defence, but there’s a lot I can work on with my attack. I also wasn’t as fit as I’d like to be last year.

“I was blowing a little bit. I want to drop a bit of weight, which will be good for my knee as well.

“It would be nice to get my future sorted before the season starts, but I’m just focused on getting the body right going into the season.

“I know I’m not a walk-up start for Origin, so it’s all about playing my best footy and then seeing how I go from there.’’
Comments

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
With all the positive feedback, published papers, safety data available for autologous stem cell treatment in orthopedics, the naysayers continue to ignore the evidence and the FDA continues to over regulate. I don't feel confident that 2015 will be any different for US patients.