Andras Nagy wins a big one for the world

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I just love reading articles like this. This discovery is going to have great potential to speed things along. Congratulations to this brilliant scientist.

Genetic discovery vaults researcher onto list with Obama, Gates
May 18, 2009 The Star.com

Flip past the big photo on page 65 of beaming software magnate Bill Gates and New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and there, on page 67, beside a picture of U.S. president Barack Obama, is a microscope image of a cell.

That induced embryonic stem cell has vaulted Toronto scientist Andras Nagy into this high-flying company in Scientific American's inaugural Top 10 awards for work in science-related endeavours.

"It's an enormous honour and a recognition of the science we do in the lab, and what we do in Mount Sinai, and what we do in Toronto and what we do in Canada," says Nagy, an investigator at Mount Sinai Hospital who nabbed his award for a genetic coup, announced in February, that may well change the face of stem-cell biology.

Nagy's team at Mount Sinai's Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute won a global race to find a safe way to transform adult skin cells into embryonic-like stem cells.

While it had been shown before that this reprogramming could be achieved, past methods had dangerously contaminated the resulting stem cell, Nagy explains.

He says under previous methods, the new stem cells, which like the real embryonic version can transform into any tissue type, still contained the reprogramming material and the DNA of the viruses used to transport it into the adult cell's nucleus.

His method, however, enables scientists to introduce the reprogramming material without a viral transporter and then draw it back out again after it has accomplished the transformation.

"In effect, Nagy and his colleagues had, for the first time, created the equivalent of embryonic stem cells that were uncontroversially ethical, safe and efficient," the magazine wrote in the June issue, released today.

Using patients' own transformed cells for organ repair would allow them to avoid the immune system rejection that plagues all person-to person transplantation.

Nagy, for one, sees a legitimate fit to his prestigious Obama pairing.

"The heavy science that we do at Mount Sinai for humanity is there beside (Obama's) massive, massive message that science is important for society and the economy," Nagy said.

hlichten

Super Moderator
I think that we are within a few years key discoveries as they relate to stem cells. I realize I have said this before, but work like the one Barbara posted above really renews very real hope of this happening.

If you have a serious illness, but can live a few years, I would seriously consider waiting. There is a strong likelihood that something good will come out of ongoing efforts for change.

Meanwhile, we face a giant barricade, as the FDA wants to be so ridiculous as to call our own autologous adult stem cells (A-ASC) drugs! These cells classified as drugs are our own stem cells from our own blood, bone marrow, fat tissue, skin! Our own stem cells have been found to be the most promising in new research, and are guaranteed to be the safest. Your body will not reject your own cells.

To be a part of a movement for change in the USA's medical laws relating to
A-ASC's, join ASCTA at:
http://www.safestemcells.org/

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Harv - I agree with you and hope that we can make change happen through ASCTA, just like the Texans for Stem Cell Research group. They proved victorious over Texas State Senator Ogden who wanted to put a rider on the state's appropriation bill prohibiting funding for embryonic stem cell research in Texas. I truly wish I could be at the victory bash that they will undoubtedly be holding. It shows what people can accomplish when they make an all out effort. I hope ASCTA can achieve the same.

I feel that a person may want to wait if they can, but for those that cannot, then we should have the option of having treatment with our own stem cells. We simply must demand changes in the U.S.
Amazing discoveries, like the one made by Nagy, are going to help us reach our goals faster. I would love to spend one day in his lab. Maybe, as a fly on the wall observing his work. It probably wouldn't be the best place to be a little mouse, but a fly might get away with it. Anyway, everyone let's get working to make ASCTA as successful as the Texas group.