am i missing something?

arichardn5

hello everybody, as i browse thru many of the different clinics offering stem cell therapy i wonder how somebody actually knows what they are really getting for their money. it seems like many of the clinics are not being too upfront on what they have to offer and are being abit or totally evasive as to what their treatment exactly consists of, the components and of what proportions, we all know stemcells of some sort. i am refering to the so called stem cell "cocktails". are the clinics afraid of the competition, that other clinics will open up and give the patient a similair but better cocktail choice with more added to it for the same money or less. also, i have noticed that many of the large research companies have their own trademark treatment, for example, osiris and their product prochymal{tm}, which i assume is one of their cocktails of stemcells, what is exactly in prochymal? what is the exact formula? some of the companies give basic information but not too much more. trade secrets i guess but this is not good for research, mankind, etc., as some scientist might come along and add a certain component to any one formula{if he knew that formula} used by a research company and come up with the magic cure. also, i am not referring to research programs by academic institutions as i havent read much on their research programs, etc. i am referring to private research companies. if i am missing something, clue me in please as i am in the learning process? comments appreciated, richard

hlichten

Super Moderator
hello everybody, as i browse thru many of the different clinics offering stem cell therapy i wonder how somebody actually knows what they are really getting for their money. it seems like many of the clinics are not being too upfront on what they have to offer and are being abit or totally evasive as to what their treatment exactly consists of, the components and of what proportions, we all know stemcells of some sort. i am refering to the so called stem cell "cocktails". are the clinics afraid of the competition, that other clinics will open up and give the patient a similair but better cocktail choice with more added to it for the same money or less. also, i have noticed that many of the large research companies have their own trademark treatment, for example, osiris and their product prochymal{tm}, which i assume is one of their cocktails of stemcells, what is exactly in prochymal? what is the exact formula? some of the companies give basic information but not too much more. trade secrets i guess but this is not good for research, mankind, etc., as some scientist might come along and add a certain component to any one formula{if he knew that formula} used by a research company and come up with the magic cure. also, i am not referring to research programs by academic institutions as i havent read much on their research programs, etc. i am referring to private research companies. if i am missing something, clue me in please as i am in the learning process? comments appreciated, richard
I understand what you are referring to. I would absolutely refuse treatment from any company or clinic that wanted me to accept an infusion into my bloodstream without telling me precisely what I was receiving. The chance of my accepting "mystery cells"?? ZERO. I would never, ever do it or consider it.

As for these clinics advertising on the web: I can see where they would want a degree of privacy as to their cell handling, isolation and formulations if they are working toward a patent.

However, as stated above, there is no amount of money that they could pay me to accept such an unknown formulation into my body.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Knowing what I know now, instead of not knowing anything a year ago February, I would ask for certification for purity and ask what, if anything, will be added to the stem cells. You are not going to get proprietary information out of any of these companies and just because research is done at a medical school, there have been lots of problems in the past with that too. One only has to look into the questionable things going on at the FDA to really wonder if anything is safe for us. One day a report is made that something causes cancer. The next thing, you are reading that that very thing helps you avoid cancer. Nothing in this world will ever be 100 percent guaranteed, except that we will someday pass on. There has to be some amount of trust involved. Many doctors and companies are working on patents. I am not soured on my own experience, but I would certainly be more careful than I was. As the competition heats up, there will be companies that may fade by the wayside because they are not providing what patients will be demanding.