ALS Stem Cell Surgery

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Posted by iCELL News, on 10th November 2011
ALS
By MYFOXATLANTA STAFF/myfoxatlanta

ATLANTA – It’s been almost 19 months since John Conley underwent a dangerous, first-of-its kind operation. Surgeons at Emory opened up his spinal cord and injected it with stem cells.

Conley is part of a study to determine whether the surgery and the cells are safe.

As Conley’s muscles grow weaker, his dog, Dalton, is taking over tasks, like helping John get dressed.

“To me he’s a miracle, and what they do is just incredible, the dogs,” Conley said.

It’s been a year, since John, diagnosed with the muscle-wasting disease ALS in 2009, underwent a risky, cutting-edge surgery at Emory University Hospital.

Neurosurgeon Dr. Nicholas Boulis and his team opened up John’s spinal cord, and injected close to a half million fetal stem cells, reproduced in a lab from a fetus aborted twenty years ago.

Neurologist Dr. Jonathan Glass says this is only a safety trial, so John and other 11 ALS patients had no guarantees they’ll see any benefit.

“The question is if you put them under anesthesia and put them through three or four hours of surgery, are they going to do okay? And remarkably, remarkably, they did very very well,” said Glass.

So well that the Food and Drug Administration has given the Emory team the go-ahead to take the next step.

Next Friday, Boulis will move the injection site or lower spinal cord, which controls our legs, up to the neck, which controls breathing.

“The reason people die from ALS is because they can’t breathe,” said Glass. “So, if we can maintain respiratory function by supporting those muscles, by supporting the motor neurons that support those muscles, then I think we’ve done something that changes the course of the disease. That’s actually kept people alive longer. That’s really our goal at this point.”

“The risk is substantially higher going into the cervical spinal cord and yet, that’s where we have to go, if we’re going to do what we want to do for these patients,” said Boulis.

Nineteen months after his operation, John says he’s doing okay.

“Mentally? Remarkable. Physically, it’s interesting,” said Connelly.

His muscles have continued to grow weaker, but there are days John says he feels good — even strong.

“I’m not saying it’s the stem cells, it could be just the positive mental attitude, and the fact that you’re not going to quit,” said Conley.

Since his surgery, John has become a grandfather, not once, but twice And the chance, he would have the operation – again.

“People have taught me a lot about the meaning of life, and it’s tough. We lose them all for the most part, and we’re hoping that that will change. And that’s why we’re doing what we’re doing. John has become a good friend,” said Glass.

“My outlook is I live every day to the fullest. I don’t think about the disease. We don’t talk about it too much,” said Conley.

A week from Friday, Dr. Boulis will operate on one the first of six patients in this new stage of the trial. He’ll open up the patient’s cervical spinal cord, and inject the stem cells directly into the cord. The stakes are higher, but so is the potential benefit.

They are still looking for patients willing to be a part of this study.