Adult Stem Cells ‘Fountain of Youth’ For The Spine

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Adult stem cells are proving to be the panacea for aching backs and more. Successful clinical trials are underway for an innovative treatment by the firm Mesoblast using stem cell injections for chronic back pain. Their research continues to gain international attention. Click on the link to see the videos:

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/adult-stem-cells-fountain-of-youth-for-the-spine/

As showcased April 1, 2014 on Fox News with reporter Will Carr, Dr. Hyun Bae – a respected orthopedic surgeon based in Los Angeles – describes the future use of stem cells (from healthy adults, not embryonic) as a form of regenerative medicine akin to “the fountain of youth,” restoring patients’ healthy lifestyles.

“This is really the Holy Grail, how do we treat your spine as you age… but instead of trying to reconstruct it with screws or rods we’re just going to try and regenerate it, so this is almost like the fountain of youth for the spine” says Dr. Bae.

grimm

Spine

This interests me because Symbicort has destroyed my spine and hips;
I need to get off the steroid in symbicort before I can do anything with stem cells for the spine (Bones)

Last edited:

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
grimm - I'm not sure that using Symbicort or other corticosteroids would prevent you from getting this kind of stem cell therapy if and when it becomes available. It's horrible that the drug has done so much damage to you, but stem cells could help reverse the damage even while still using a drug like that. It would probably take several treatments and they could make it so your medication requirements were less. Hopefully, the future for something to help you with regeneration is not that far off.

Claire

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this question, but I see no mention of this being asked before. Does anyone know that one's being a post-menopausal woman with osteopenia (lower bone density than normal but not so low as to be characterized as having osteoporosis) or even with osteoporosis, would make that person's bone marrow not a viable option for stem cell treatments using autologous BM SCs? I've sent an e-mail to Dr. Centeno to get his opinion. A Google search on the topic provided mixed and some ambiguous responses, like it might be a problem or it might not...

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Claire - I don't have the answer. I have had bone marrow extractions and the subject was never even brought up. If the stem cells are going to be expanded (offshore treatment), I can't see it as something that would prevent treatment, but I'm not a medical doctor. If it's not offshore treatment, then they won't be expanded thanks to the FDA. I would also think this would be something brought up at any initial consultation if it would present a problem. Let's hope Dr. Centeno will provide you with an answer and that you can then share that with us.