Adult Stem Cell Success Stories - 2008 Update: July-december

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
ADULT STEM CELL SUCCESS STORIES - 2008 UPDATE: JULY-DECEMBER

I thought it might be helpful to see that some folks are being helped with stem cells.

ADULT STEM CELL SUCCESS STORIES - 2008 UPDATE: JULY-DECEMBER

by David Prentice, PhD, William L. Saunders, JD, Jan Ledochowski, and Lukas Lucenic

Research using adult stem cells continues to yield successful treatments for many human diseases and injuries. In this update we highlight some of those treatment successes from the last six months of 2008.

http://www.frc.org/insight/adult-stem-cell-success-stories-2008-update-july-december

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Jeannine - This must be a work of fiction. I heard on CNN that stem cell treatments were basically bogus. I am so confused.

Lest anyone think I am serious, I'm not. This is an excellent report and one that I will be using to combat naysayers. Thanks Jeannine.

yorkere

About the Adult Stem Cell Success Stories

Jeannine & Barbara:

These reports are indeed marvelous; here's my question:

Where does the FDA's stance that adult stem cells taken from & returned to the patient constitute use of an unapproved drug, fit in here? Did all these doctor's & organizations who did these things for their patients wind up receiving cease-and-desist letters from the FDA over these treatments, or just "selected" targets like the Centeno-Schultz Clinic?

In other words, how did they get away with doing this?

Robert

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Many of them appear to have been clinical trials. I have asked Dr. Centeno to comment on your question. The problem with clinicals is that they are so exclusionary and involve so much time, that if someone needs help quickly, a clinical is not the answer. Not all of these stories mention studies or trials however, so it will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

Teriss

Stem Cell Treatments for Dogs -is Advancing

Looks like stem cell treatments work for a variety of diseases -when your working WITH the immune system - you are at a higher advantage -than trying to kill it.

I just spoke with Vet Stem Cells in California as I am doing research for stem cell treatments in dogs, and they have done the follow up on their success stories -whereby the dogs are pain free after having stem cell treatments for hip dysplasia -elbow dysplasia and bone diseases.

Their company also works with horses -and are healing bone dieases for the equine animals.

I spoke with the Marketing Director and asked how things were going since I did a story on my blog last year. She said they are expanding by leaps and bounds and are having to enlarge their facilities due to rapid growth and the acceptance of stem cell treatments. (the stem cells are derived from 2 tablspoons of fat behind the dogs neck) -cells are then sent to Vet Stem-they extract the ASC, send it back to the vet -who re-injects it into the dogs hip or elbow. Several weeks later -the dogs are running around like puppies.

I am just saying this because -it seems dogs can get stem cell treatments in the USA ...but humans cannot. Does this make sense to you?

If not...write, phone, scream at your politicians, senators, congressmen and doctors and demand better health care and treatments.

It will work if we all do it -and we join forces with others who want the same thing - curing diseases -once and for all.

The other thing they told me- was that they are moving from bone stem cell treatments and are now conducting trials for auto immune diseases in dogs, from diabetes, thyroid, cancer, kidney and liver diseases....

the great future is ahead of us...we just have to push now...for what we need.

teriss

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
These very same success stories could be ours except that Big Pharma and the FDA does not want them to be. Veterinarians are not under the same regulatory injustices that humans who want stem cell treatment are. The time has come to expose what is happening for what it really is. We have already had two good articles lately exposing research scams. ICMS is working to expose the FDA. The politicians are doing a good job of exposing themselves (that doesn't sound too good does it?) and if they cannot pull it together, the people will speak with their votes.

Keep hammering away every day at the FDA. That's my new slogan.

Teriss

I had a very lengthy discussion with a pharma rep yesterday on stem cell research and she stated that the cells have to grow on mice cells? don't know if she was correct or not? I didn't think so.

Anyway she tried to persuade me that it was in my interest to have standards after I explained about the ICMS and SCP was already doing that...she stated then we both agree-standards have to be met. This is so we don't get mice cells in our returned stem cells.

I don't see how the FDA can get away with declaring our own stem cells a drug because it would have to hold true that if a kidney dialasis machine constitutes an exchange of blood cells leaving a body -and processed thru a machine, then returning to the body -is the FDA's property?
This is a legal stance-and could be easily disputed in a court of law, since when does the state own a part of a person's body.

What say the legal defense team here, is there any progress on this? Once we establish stem cells are our own property, we maintain sole ownership of the property through to the end.

Or an organ transplantation would the new liver constitute an FDA drug also since it came from someone else's body. The absurdity of it all -boggles the mind, but they will do everything in their power to protect drug company profits. Lets face it folks -we are definitely fighting a Goliath here.

But this is stirring up my hippie-rebel from the 1970's in me again...we protested quite effectively in those days, except in Kent State -where they shot students. The Peace Movement was effective though...because it was universally supported, I feel that time is coming again.

teri

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Dr. Centeno's insight into Yorkere's question

These reports, as far as I can see, are all from ongoing FDA approved clinical trials in the US (the outside of US trials I can't comment on). These are sponsored by big pharma companies. This approach is a two edged sword. On the one hand, it does create the appearance of a safety net by focusing on extensive due diligence and research of the therapy. However, over the past 10 years we have seen drug after drug approved by the FDA that has eventually been pulled off the market as unsafe. Why? My best educated guess is that because of the extreme cost of these trials, companies often hide bad data. In addition, since the cost is extreme (tens of millions of dollars), there must be a rich business plan supporting the therapy for the trial to make any business sense. Regrettably, this is one reason why our current medical care system is broken and failing. Too often, because of this system, what we get served up as the public is not the best available treatment, but the most profitable available treatment. If we want real healthcare reform that will reduce the cost of medical care, we have to have a system that promotes the best treatment, even if it doesn't make a company billions of dollars. In pain management we see this dilemma everyday. What insurers will pay for is these big pharma/big device sponsored treatments, which are often the most invasive, most expensive, and sometimes least long-term effective options. What we know as doctors will often work for the patients is a less invasive and less costly option, but because there is no big business model behind the treatment, insurers won't cover that option. This is because these treatments don't have business models that will support the big research that needs to be done. A good example is lumbar fusion for patients with severe low back pain. The average insurer will gladly pay tens of thousands for a fusion that has never been shown to be an effective treatment, but refuse to pay hundreds of dollars for the patient to see a good chiropractor or acupuncturist (both of which have been shown to likely be more effective than fusion and far less invasive). Why? Fusion is supported by big device manufacturers who get paid thousands of dollars for pieces of hardware manufacturered in China for pennies. Again, an example of how business models drive medicine. Our current healthcare reform bill in congress will eventually fail for this same reason. The same companies who drive these healthcare decisions are now heavily lobbying congress for a seat at the table when the medical guidelines get produced (what will and won't be covered in this new system). So these guidelines won't really be focused on what does or doesn't work, but instead on what treatments had the best business models that allowed for the biggest lobbying reprenstation at the guidelines meetings.

ICMS represents an opportunity for doctors to take control to fix some of this broken system. Physician controlled cellular therapy and the ICMS clinical/lab guidelines and treatment registry process will allow small business plan medicine to flourish again. It used to be that you went to the doctor and based on the best published research and his or her clinical experience, the best treatment option was offered. Your insurance company paid for the treatment. The downside of this was that physicians often didn't have the best evidence available and ineffective treatments were often used. The fix for this was supposed to evidence based medicine (EBM). EBM's promise was that more research would give doctors better evidence to produce better decisions. However, the cost of producing this evidence has often led to the above cycle (big business model medicine).

ICMS will allow doctors on the ground who treat real patients decide which of the patient's own stem cells for disease x makes sense. The registry we're working on will allow medical practices to share efficacy and complications data (something big pharma would never do). The ICMS lab and clinical guidelines will make sure physicians take safe, measured steps in deploying these cells.

The existing big pharma system (the subject of the article you referenced) will eventually produce some great things, but all must be very profitable big businesses to make it through the regulatory gauntlet. Your doctor offering safe stem cell therapy, using a common re-implant registry can see that 50 other doctors have successfully used stem cell x to treat disease Y in hundreds of patients with minimal side effects and no serious complications. He won't care if the stem cell line being used is profitable enough to produce billions for a big company, only that it may help your particular disease and that he or she is appropriately compensated for that service. That will eventually put a dent in the healthcare mess.